animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Kyle Baker discusses the future

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Kyle Baker discusses the future

Postby Greg B » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:41 pm

Kyle Baker, multi-award winning writer and illustrator discusses some important issues he's had to face as a creator. Listen carefully. What's right and wrong with his viewpoints?
Greg B

Re: Kyle Baker discusses the future

Postby Charles » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:17 am

I'm not sure as to what's right or wrong in what he said Greg, but my impression is that this is entirely consistent with what we've been talking about on AN for many years. Since the beginning.

It almost seems passe, but of course it's not. It's what's happening today and been happening. Artists operating independently, as their own executives, taking advantage of everything the big corporations do by doing it themselves.

The leveling of the playing field.

My continued impressions...

He describes his colleagues' reactions on his first day on the job as a Disney artist as something of a step backwards for him to be there working as a staff artist at the studio.

He's in two unions and it's interesting how he mentions that neither of them have helped him much.

He emphasizes that he makes just as much money publishing his own content on a smaller scale than he does working for a conglomerate such as Marvel.

It's a very encouraging speech and a validation for artists who are considering taking an independent path. Indeed, as time goes on, more and more artist will be doing what he's doing.

In fact, this was the subject of much of what we were talking about at the Evening of Animation event the Burbank Public Library sponsored on January 19. See here for the topic...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2814

I'm curious as to your take on this. What do you say is right and what is wrong?

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:31 am

Charles, you took the words right out of my mouth.

When I heard this speech I said to myself, "Has Kyle been to AN? How could he not have known about it?"

My point is I've said the same thing he's saying now but I said it back in the 80's when I first met him briefly at DC Comics.

Now he's saying what we all here at AN have been saying for 12 years. Is it 13 years? Charles it's been a lonnng time and AN is such a part of the Animation industry there should be more recognition. Look at how many people used to hang out here and now have their own online venues but don't stop by to give you props?

Don't worry, I've got a goodie coming your way.

Anyhow, Baker sure has earned his keep. Look at the number of awards he's won. He's been batting them out of the park for years. Now he's discussing turbulent waters and his role in them. He's middle aged now. He's talking from both sides of the fence from freelancer to corporate player. Is he really taking responsibility for what's happened to him? Only time will tell which is why the video has 'future' in its title. It'll be interesting to see if he has a super mega hit one day.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:34 pm

That's right Greg. AN will 13 years old in February.

Perhaps a more appropriate title for this topic would be 'Kyle Baker discusses the present' or 'Kyle Baker discusses what he'll be dong in his future'. In case my words are misconstrued, I wish him well and hope he has great success.

Snakebite made a key point at the Burbank Public Library event on January 19. He mentioned that 'the future is yesterday' in connection with Kyle Baker is talking about and other things as well.

As far as AN getting its props from the industry, or rather not getting its props, I'll be back with more on that. First I'm going to post this topic on the homepage.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:37 pm

Thanks for the topic Greg.

It's on the homepage for this date.

http://www.animationnation.com

Dedicated article

Daily Z

Charles

Postby JK Riki » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:08 pm

I don't really understand what he was saying. Though I'll admit my eyes glazed over after two minutes of "Here's what I've done in my life."
Animator Island: A resource for animators featuring weekly tips, tricks, and secrets of animation
JK Riki

Return to General Discussion