animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

2D Animation Project

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

2D Animation Project

Postby trckstrgod » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:43 am

here's a 2D animation project that I'm working on. I would like to get some critiques on how I can improve it and make it better.

How's my followthrough and overlapping action?
How's the squash and stretch? Does it shows believable weight?
How about my timing.
And so on...

Thanks in advance! XD

http://vimeo.com/13743764
trckstrgod

Re: 2D Animation Project

Postby Charles » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:41 am

That's a pretty good little clip, trckstrgod.

I think your attempt at follow through / overlapping action is fine for the most part. There's a lot of back and forth swing that may overwork the action, but it's a good exercise none the less. I looked at the animation frame by frame as much as possible and there's some volume fluctuation going on with your shapes. Try and keep the volume in your basic shapes as consistent as possible when animating. Play up the line of action as well. This will add more fluidity to the animation of your character.

There's positives in your animation of this character. Good luck and keep us updated with your progress.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: 2D Animation Project

Postby Sageous » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:55 am

Nice work trckstrgod!

Charles knows what he's talking about and has great suggestions, so definitely listen to him.

All looks good to me, but my only two small suggestions would be: to have the tip/point of the hat's motion have a little bit more follow-through so that it eases into the pose just before the anticipation of the throw. Also, maybe you'd like to show some interaction between the broom and the girl as she get's off of the broom...maybe it has a bend to it and it rises a bit as she gets off of it. Keep it up.
Sageous

Return to A.N. Gallery