animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

A time for leadership

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

A time for leadership

Postby Charles » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:12 am

With the economy being what it is and so many challenges facing good folks today the world over, it's only natural for people to feel overwhelmed and even helpless. Faced with the obstacles that we all have in our lives, some lesser some greater, when friends, acquaintances and colleagues ask me for advice as to what they should do, I answer with a novel suggestion.

Be a leader.

To me, it seems the proper course of action. Yet so many are ruled by fear and complacency, doubt and indecision, panic and anxiety.

It's understandable that folks don't want to rock the boat when they don't even have a life jacket to wear. If that's the case, then learn to swim and teach others to do the same. Times won't be getting any easier. The system is set against us and they're not giving us a break. Neither the government or private industry, and even colleagues will turn their backs to you. I've experienced that particular disappointment, in good times as well as bad.

There's a proverbial saying that comes to mind... If they do these things when the grass is green, what will they do when it is dry?

Some may choose conformity and the broad path in hopes that they won't be left by the wayside. Some choose the road less traveled. Choose to lead, so that others may be inspired to do the same. It's because we've been complacent that things have gotten as screwed as they are. Evil thrives when good people do nothing.

In times like these, we lead good leadership more than ever.

So be a leader. Show leadership in your creative efforts. Don't just sit there and take it. Mediocrity is for sheep. Strive for excellence in your life. Be a light so others can find hope in their lives from what you do with your own life.

Animation is a powerful medium. It's more than just a job, although there's certainly nothing wrong with that of course. It's beyond just putting in your hours and waiting for a paycheck. Our medium affects people's lives in very positive ways.

Every great endeavor in animation happened as a result of leadership. From the days of Windsor McCay to our present age.

There's plenty of followers in this community. Be a leader in animation instead.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: A time for leadership

Postby EAllen » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:52 pm

Ironically, that's where my focus is right now, building (or, in my specific case, details of which will be forthcoming, rebuilding) up my presence on the scene to better position myself regarding helping other professionals.

I continue to push myself to my limits to see where they are and what they are, and perhaps even to find out if they can be ignored temporarily, when occasions demand for it. It's a challenge that gets easier with the accumulation of capital and resources--but never does it become easy.

Thanks Charles, for continuing to serve as a light to guide those of us finding a way out of some dark ass tunnels!
EAllen

Return to General Discussion