animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Evolution, art, and artists

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Evolution, art, and artists

Postby Charles » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:40 am

I've been doing extensive research into human evolution lately. I've learned a lot more than I previously realized thanks to new information that's arisen, especially in the area of genetics.

Evolution happens when stress and pressure is introduced through changes in an environment. A species adapts when faced with new challenges. Without these challenges, nothing happens. Growth doesn't occur through adaptation. On the contrary, it happens when there's a reason to adapt to a new pressure that's been introduced.

Neanderthal Man and Homo Sapiens simultaneously occupied Europe for thousands of years. More than 10,000 years. One of the major contributing factors for the success of modern man and the gradual decline and eventual disappearance of Neanderthals was, believe it or not, art. Art allowed modern humans to communicate in ways that helped them organize and work together in much larger groups. Art marked the difference between modern mankind and all other hominids that went before.

It is absolutely at the very essence of what it means to be human.

You grow artistically when you're challenged. One of the things I do as part of my process as an educator is to not only challenge my students, but get them to challenge themselves. Your art evolves, you get better when pressured, when challenged to improve.

So the moral of the story is...

Challenge yourself artistically, break out of your comfort zone, and you'll grow.

And if you're serious about it, then take your art seriously. It's at the heart of what it means to be us, and vital to the human experience.

Keep creating and keep evolving into new and better things.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Evolution, art, and artists

Postby Jose Saenz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:25 am

Great post! It got me thinking if I was challenging myself. As a freelance artist, working alone, it's easy to become stagnant. I'm trying to stay on a routine now though, where I watch training videos everyday online...hopefully, to never become stagnant.
Jose Saenz

Postby skynet » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:24 pm

Art, sound and creativity seem to be the main elements that make life happen. They're the foundation of everything that exists. The creativity of the invisible force that drives life into existence is on a level that is mostly beyond our imagination and it shows in so many ways, on so many levels that we can only hope to understand a very small portion. We have such a small brief glimpse of what is possible and our thoughts, everything we think, know and feel can only cling to the dust that drifts in the galactic winds as existence progresses in ways that are still unknown to us.

It seems that one of the best things to do is to keep pushing our own creativity beyond every known boundary. You have to be open to learning new things all the time and try to incorporate new ideas and acquired knowledge into your own life as much as possible, because you never know where it may lead.
skynet

Postby Richard » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:42 pm

I understand that one! As an artist, I'm always striving to improve and find ways that can better suit what I need to do. It's a constant process and I always find myself kicking myself in the butt to figure things out and attempt to create whatever it is.

Being in South Florida, there isn't a whole lot of competition, however, I always look online, ie, Deviant Art, and witness some amazing artists doing things at a really young age that I can only dream about. The only way to tackle that is to aim for their level and not wallow in your pity.

Thanks so much, Charles, for that piece of advice!
Richard

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:30 pm

Great topic!

I've been learning that evolution has a peak pattern according to wave frequencies found in space that have the same pattern. Physics are proving that our atoms form structures based on certain frequencies that come from the galactic core.

Not at all to take away from Charles' point. I believe by creating you are being true to your frequency which connects you to the rest of the universe. While connected our potential to evolve is much greater then those who don't tune in, so to speak.

The universe I have learned is built on equilibrium and protons pop from the vacuumm out of need, not randomness.

So your personal art is part of the big picture. You and your need to create is intentional.

so as Charles always says, Keep Creating!!!
SNAKEBITE

Return to General Discussion