animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

ASIFA-Hollywood changes Annie Award voting rules

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

ASIFA-Hollywood changes Annie Award voting rules

Postby Charles » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:46 pm

Here's the content of the notice. Please read it through.

International Animated Film Society
ASIFA-Hollywood

Dear ASIFA-Hollywood Member,

From the time the Annie Awards were created, every year the Board of Directors of ASIFA-Hollywood reviews the awards in order to improve them.

Over the years, these annual evaluations have resulted in such major changes including changing the Annie Awards from a lifetime honor to an award which recognizes current achievements and excellence in the field of animation, and conducting the Annie Award voting online to ensure that voters have reviewed all of the nominees work before casting their ballot.

Following the creation of the Oscar for Best Animated Feature by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Science almost a decade ago, the Annie Award is now recognized by the entertainment industry as the highest honor given by the animation community, and ASIFA-Hollywood is regarded with the same kind of prestige as the Motion Picture and Television academies.

In order to maintain the integrity of the award the Board of Directors of ASIFA-Hollywood has decided to limit voting for the Annie Awards to only qualified members of ASIFA-Hollywood who are animation professionals. Non-professional and Student members of ASIFA-Hollywood shall not be eligible to participate in the Annie Award voting.

Therefore to participate in Annie award voting you must register to qualify to vote. This application process must be completed by August 31st, 2010. This is your only opportunity to qualify to vote this year! Your qualifications will then be vetted by a panel representing many studios and job classifications and you will be informed by email of acceptance or denial. If denied, you will be given an additional 30 days to appeal and provide sufficient proof of eligibility. Your eligibility status will also be available on your on-line profile page.

All professional members should apply for the Production categories (Best Feature, Best Short, Best Television Program, etc.). We also encourage you to apply for any of the individual categories in which you have credits or other verifiable recognition of your experience or expertise. If you are not sure if you qualify in a particular category, please apply and clearly explain your experience.

Each year, upon renewal of your membership, you will be given another opportunity to update your qualification categories. New members will also be given 30 days to qualify to vote upon acceptance of their membership.

To begin the process, please log onto the updated website for ASIFA-Hollywood at www.asifa-hollywood.org. Your login name is your email address. Your password should be listed on your membership card. If it is not listed, or you have misplaced your membership card, please select Forgot your password? and it will be emailed to you.

Once logged in, select Membership-Annie Voter Application. Then check the box for Production and any other category in which you believe you qualify to vote. Add your qualification evidence in the box next to the selected categories. When complete, select Update at the bottom of the page. Your status will be emailed to you after the qualification committee reviews your application.

Your application and your vote will help recognize excellence amongst your fellow artists and bring greater recognition to our art form. Thank you.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: ASIFA-Hollywood changes Annie Award voting rules

Postby paburrows » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:52 am

I got this and was wondering if that means that those that qualify as non-professional or student will stop recieving the free screeners? Seems like theres not a lot of reason for the students to stick around after this unless they are really into supporting their library or attending volunteer meetings.

I'm curious what they use to decide who is professional. Is it only someone in an art job at a studio? Do PA's count? Are freelancers professional statis? What about an Illustrator who happens to be a member? Or is it a money thing where only those who pay the $75 professional level (or whatever it is, I forgot since I need to renew) can vote and recieve screeners?
paburrows

Postby Charles » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Right you are Paul. I was wondering who was going to pick up on this first, and you are the one.

According to the new criteria they've established, just being a member in good standing of ASIFA-Hollywood is not enough to qualify for voting for the Annies. You need to apply to vote and convince this "qualification committee" of theirs, that you have the professional credentials to vote for the Annies.

Personally, I don't see this as progress. I see it as the further elitification of the organization and from my own experiences with ASIFA-Hollywood, all it does is further erode the confidence I once had in them.

So now, many ASIFA-Hollywood members themselves are being disenfranchised by this move. If you're a student, or a serious fan and supporter of animation, your voice will not be heard come Annie Award voting time unless you work or worked in the industry.

I feel it's a poor move on the part of their executive board. They should have at least put this to a vote of the general membership. Or at least solicited the input of the general membership prior to making their decision.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:14 pm

So what qualifies the committee? Do any of them draw or create animation?
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:10 am

In the mail today, I received a post card notice from ASIFA-Hollywood explaining the change in voting for the Annies.

It states the following...

"Only animation professionals will be eligible to vote in the production categories. Voting in the Individual Achievement categories will be available only to those with experience in those specific categories."

In other words, if you want to vote for best character design for a TV series, you must be a professional character designer in animation.

People who may not have professional animation experience, but who've paid good money to be a part of ASIFA-Hollywood, who support the organization, and although they may not be working in animation, they're certainly knowledgeable fans who know enough about what's happening in animation to qualify for voting.

They paid their dues to be part of ASIFA, just like animation professionals who pay to be in ASIFA have done, but the difference is they can't vote for the Annies.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:54 pm

This is an exceprt from ASIFA-Hollywood's original announcement about the change in voting for the Annies. It's from the post that started this thread. Please take a moment to read through it.

Following the creation of the Oscar for Best Animated Feature by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Science almost a decade ago, the Annie Award is now recognized by the entertainment industry as the highest honor given by the animation community, and ASIFA-Hollywood is regarded with the same kind of prestige as the Motion Picture and Television academies.

In order to maintain the integrity of the award the Board of Directors of ASIFA-Hollywood has decided to limit voting for the Annie Awards to only qualified members of ASIFA-Hollywood who are animation professionals. Non-professional and Student members of ASIFA-Hollywood shall not be eligible to participate in the Annie Award voting.

This new policy of theirs is as falacious, or logically unsound, as it is ridiculous.

ASIFA-Hollwyood says that the Annie Awards have reached a level of the highest honor in animation, second only to the Academy Awards. And how was this done, ladies and gents? By excluding ASIFA-Hollywood members from the voting process? Of course not. To the contrary, it's the membership of ASIFA-Hollywood that created this level of integrity behind the Annies.

Check out this thinking... In order to maintain this level of integrity, ASIFA-Hollywood is compelled to exclude a significant part of their membership from voting for the Annies. Now that really makes sense. The very people that made the Annies what they are, that contributed to their integrity, are now being cast out of the voting process because they aren't working professionally.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby paburrows » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:56 pm

"Following the creation of the Oscar for Best Animated Feature by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Science almost a decade ago, the Annie Award is now recognized by the entertainment industry as the highest honor given by the animation community, and ASIFA-Hollywood is regarded with the same kind of prestige as the Motion Picture and Television academies."

I'm curious about this because back when I was going to the volunteer meetings for ASIFA when the planning time would come around for the Annies we would ask those in charge why they never broadcasted the Annie on at the very least local TV or something like that. They always said that they had been trying, but were never quite able to. It seems to me like this new decision is fueled by that. Maybe they think that this will make them look more important to the networks? It makes some sense, but it also feels like they are selling out.
paburrows

Postby EAllen » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:42 pm

Hi guys, great to be back on here after a lengthy hiatus.

Y'know Charles, I can't say I'm surprised at these developments. I can understand why the organization would want to class things up a little, but they surely do it at the risk of alienating leagues of freelance professionals (like myself) who pay every year, who may not have studio credits, but have years of experience with industry-standard digital tools and commercial projects (which again, just because they're not at a studio or a subsidiary of one, I guess that makes them illegitimate?). Well, for once I actually won't actively complain about these turn of events, because I saw it coming long ago.

Again, paburrows is dead on. At this point, I'm kinda nervous for the organization . . .
EAllen

Return to General Discussion