animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Video Games or Feature Films - the best for creative vision?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Video Games or Feature Films - the best for creative vision?

Postby Charles » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:55 pm

I would say at this point in time certain sectors of the video game biz is at least challenging and from what I've seen lately, outdoing feature films as far as design and visual concepts go. Even cinematography.

It's an exciting area for artists to work in. There's much more opportunity for creative exploration and experimentation. There isn't a layer of middle management sifting things out and watering things down. Video game developers have much more creative latitude and freedom.

I've been involved in video games since 1999. I was in the original core team that developed Crash Bandicoot when the Sony PlayStation console was two years away from the market. It was the first video game to hire professional animation designers and developers.

Look where it's come since then.

Now the next generation of high end video game devices are being developed and the graphics are going to be amazing. The stage is being set for some very cool stuff.

The video game sector of animation was once looked down upon by feature films, TV and the mainstream industry. Now it's a different story. Video game developers are every bit as good as just about anything happening in the mainstream and perhaps surpassing what's happening in many areas of animation.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Video Games or Feature Films - the best for creative vis

Postby Charles » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:30 am

Case in point, check out this trailer for the upcoming game 'Wildstar' from Carbine Studios...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:51 pm

Cjeck out the look of this video game on the way. Borderlands 2 from Gearbox Software...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:39 pm

Take a look at what can be expected in 'Asura's Wrath' from CyberConnect 2 and Capcom...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:10 pm

Check out what gamers can expect from Warner Bros next year.

Lollipop Chainsaw - Zombie Hunter...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby jeffnevins » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:20 pm

Interesting topic.

I agree that videogames are getting more recognition. Funny how features are sometimes based off games instead of only the opposite.

Yes, creative vision quality can be found in both films & games, so it hard to say which is best.

My favorite game of recent years is Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. A back-to-basics 2-D look that has excellent BG & character design.

http://youtu.be/qYlglY26YHs

(I clicked the embed link on YT & pasted, but can't get the thumbnail to work. How does Charles do it? :?: )

The lack of voiceovers & cool soundtrack gives it a unique feel. Recently saw the movie as well-
jeffnevins

Postby Charles » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:44 am

This is how you embed YT video Jeff.

From the url... http://youtu.be/qYlglY26YHs ...

Copy this part... qYlglY26YHs ...

Then place it between the brackets after clicking the youtube tab above.

[youtube][/youtube]

The result is this...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby jeffnevins » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:21 am

Thanks, Charles. Not so difficult. I should've paid attention before or searched out how to do that- ah well. Now I can do it.
jeffnevins

Return to General Discussion