animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Could Walt Disney make it in today's industry?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Could Walt Disney make it in today's industry?

Postby Charles » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:22 pm

WaltDisneyInterviewed1.jpg

I brought this up in a discussion with friends last night.

Upon a visit to class by an alum of my school, after he spoke with students and filled us in privately on the goings on at his studio, which is one of the majors, I thought out loud that if Walt Disney himself were a young man trying to break into the industry today on the studio scene, he probably wouldn't be able to do it.

That is, unless he went by their standards.

Imagine Walt Disney being interviewed for a job...

So, where did you go to school Walt?

I didn't. I learned how to draw cartoons on my own.

Oh, I see. So... you don't have a degree?

Nope.

Okay, how about art classes. Have you taken any?

Nope. But I drew cartoons and lined the inside of the ambulance to raise the spirits of wounded soldiers when I was transporting them from the battlefield.

That's nice. How about software. Do you know Maya or Flash or Photoshop?

What? Sorry, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I knew a fellow in Kansas City who had a photo shop. Nice guy. Talented too with a good eye for composition.

Okay. Do you have samples of your work online?

No, I use that mostly for hanging laundry. But I have been making moving cartoons and experimenting with live action and animation. I have an idea for adding sound to them.

Great. Walt, how old are you?

Twenty six.

Oh, I'm sorry. We're looking for someone much younger straight out of a school that you'll be endowing in the future, deeply in debt with a huge loan to pay off. Thanks for stopping by Walt, we do appreciate it. Stay in touch and let us know how things go.

Well, I'm just having some fun of course, but it does underscore just how different a situation Walt Disney would encounter if he were to make his appearance in animation in this day and age. It's an industry that is far removed from the one he knew when he was alive and kicking.

With the way things are, I don't think he'd have much of a chance of breaking into a studio unless he adapted to what was called for. But being as ambitious, energetic and determined as he was, I think he would very likely go the way of the independent and take full advantage of all the opportunities this avenue would offer to entrepreneurial spirits such as himself.

It's hard to say exactly how he would fare in our era. I think of him as a man of all times. And I'm sure that no matter what age he'd be living in, I doubt if his disposition would allow him to settle very long for a career by which he'd be sitting in a cubicle day in and day out for the rest of his life. He just wasn't that kind of person. His can do attitude and creative productivity would take him to a higher level of activity.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Could Walt Disney make it in today's industry?

Postby Charles » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:47 pm

You can't keep a good man down.

SuperWalt.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Could Walt Disney make it in today's industry?

Postby Charles » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Hello there!

Yes, um, how are you...

Walt.

Yes, Walt. That's right. Walt. What can I do for you, Walt?

I have my demo reel. If you can take a look at it I'd...

Yeah, your demo reel, right. Okay, let's see. How about dropping it off with my assistant and...

I know you'll like it. Took my whole life to put it together.

Oh I'm sure it's wonderful. Just leave it here with my assistant and we'll review it just as soon as we can.

Gee thanks. I really appreciate it. How long will it take before you...

Not long, not long. We'll get in touch. If we like what we see we'll give you a test.

Golly, that's great. I sure hope you like it.

I'm sure we'll be doing cartwheels over it Walt. Now if you don't mind I have an important meeting to attend. We'll validate your parking.

That's swell. Thanks again.

Don't mention it. Oh and Walt...

Yes?

Sign this release form please. It's a simple document. Standard procedure when reviewing demo reels.

Okay. Let's see. Hey wait a minute... What's this part that says you own my work?

Oh that, nothing to worry about. Just some legaleeze. You know lawyers and what they're like.

And this part that says you own my dreams?

Get with it Walt. We're eleven years into the 21st century. Artists will sign anything.

Not this artist.

Walt's demo reel...

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion