animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

San Diego Comic Con - Is it worth it?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

San Diego Comic Con - Is it worth it?

Postby Charles » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:19 am

ComicCon2011.png

This is the big week, and starting tomorrow with Preview Night, the 2011 San Diego Comic Con will be under way.

For many people this is an exciting event and they're anxious to be a part of it. But for a growing number, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Which prompts me to ask this rhetorical question...

Is the Comic Con worth it?

Is it worth dealing with the overwhelming crowds, the long lines, all the time that's taken up waiting to get into an event...

Is it worth the trouble, effort and expense involved?

In my opinion, and in a word, yes. If it's right for you, if you want to be a part of it, of course it's worth it. Especially if you're a vendor or have something to showcase, promote or sell, it's the prime convention for getting your word and wares out and about.

Not to mention the incredible array of creative individuals that's amassed at this place in time and space.

I remember the Con back in the 1990s when it was still a thrill, but a manageable one that was dedicated towards and focused upon the creative element, creative individuals and the creative community. I made the personal choice to avoid it after it started getting out of control crazy with the huge crowds that were showing up, and with a growing corporate presence that turned me off to what is was evolving into.

None the less, if I had the disposition for it, I'd head to SD and go through the extended effort of establishing a presence there simply because of the opportunity that comes along with a gigantic throng of people with a common interest in comics, animation, and entertainment in general.

But this year for the first time ever, there seems to be a shift away from the Con by those whom one would think would benefit from it the most. Big companies who used the event to get an early word out about a property of theirs that was on the way. At least that's what I recall reading recently.

To underscore a bit of the downside of the Con for visitors, check out this topic from the AN Forums last year, whereby some of our members recount their experiences, both good and bad.

Click here.

The Con is still of course worth the trouble for many, but an increasing number of people are opting for smaller more intimate venues, such as the CTN eXpo in Burbank this coming November.

http://www.ctnanimationexpo.com/

It's animation focused, very popular, and a prime venue for reaching the animation community face to face during a three day span. It's pleasant, a great deal of fun, and in its own way, as effective as the Con.

Whatever you choose to do, or go to or be a part of, have fun and be safe. This is a great time to be involved in the entertainment industry, animation in particular.

Keep Creating.

That's what makes events like these happen.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: San Diego Comic Con - Is it worth it?

Postby hoofprints » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:11 pm

I love Comic-Con. This will be my 10th or 11th year. The way that I look at it is it an awesome experience if you understand what your getting into and plan accordingly. The website have floor maps of the exibit hall and the panel rooms, plus schedules of panels,portfolio reviews, screenings, etc, etc. You can never be too anal with planning things out, if its your first few times there.

With Hall H and 20 you ether need to skip those entirely (Usually that stuff ends up on Youtube minus the clips afterwards anyways) or get in line an hour or more early for 20 and longer for H. BUT I look at the line time as a chance to network (Always have cards and portfoilos/ashcan sketchbooks to give away) I got a job once out of line networking at Comic-Con) and/or read some of the Graphic Novels/Comicbooks and freebes that I have obtained while there. If your in a group you can take turns in line while the other checks out the exhibit hall.

Also rather then wade from one end of the exhibit hall to the other I will go out to the hallway so that I can speed to the area of the hall that I want to go to. I still go from one end to the other, but I usually go for an hour then hit a panel and then use the hallway to return to where I left off.

Never buy food from the convention center. Its over priced and not great. I usually get a cheap motel that has continental breakfast and then I have apples and snacks in my backpack to tide me over until 7pm Dinner when the main Hall closes. Theres a Wendys, Subway and Baja Fresh about 5 or 6 blocks away along with a Ralphs (or somesort of grosery store) about 4 blocks away. (Personally I like to hit the floor running and not stop until 7pm since theres so much to see and do.)

Plus if you want a break from the crazyness attend some of the illustration/drawing/how to panels. (Pretty much anything on that halfway level with the stairs behind the main exibit hall.) A lot of the time they are a lot less crowded and its easyer to talk one on one with the artists. Or walk around the marina behind the Convention Center for fresh air. It is possible to have a great and productive time, you just have to plan for it and be prepared.

I love CTN Expo, but personally I think that the price can be a little too much in comparison to other conventions. Not that, that would stop me since CTN is great though.

hoofprints=paburrows
hoofprints

Postby Davelyman » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
Davelyman

Postby Charles » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:14 am

I was surprised this year at how many people I know who usually go but didn't this time around. A lot of others wanted to go but tickets were sold out. It's ironic that folks are increasingly turning away or being turned away from the Con, but it will still get huge crowds and is extremely popular. Maybe things will balance out more in the future.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:10 pm

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion