animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

A fewv questions

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

A fewv questions

Postby palmtree » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:12 pm

Hello everyone again It's Joshua Palmer I would like to thank everyone who looked at my last post and I would like to clear a few things up. 1.) I have been having spelling and grammer problems for years I will try to watch them a little closer but it has always been a problem for me. 2.) I understand what you mean about the posts on the one website. Do any of you have any suggestions on a gallery I might be able to post so I can get my work on the market more. I know I need more practice but no one postive around me it's hard to improve so I ask again I would like to request someone to look at my work and provide possaite and constructive negitive feedback. unlike my parents saying I will never make it and such. I thank you again for the comments on the last post and must humbley ask again for help.

Please let me know

Joshua Palmer (palmtree)
palmtree

Re: A fewv questions

Postby jjohnson » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi Joshua,
I have been meaning to say hello for a while now. I have dyslexia, so I know what you mean about the spelling problems. I have to stop and look lots of words up and make sure I've spelled them correctly and I know how you feel. You should look into posting your art on a blog, deviantArt, or Carbonmade. They are all free and you can link people to your art there. I saw the stuff on your facebook page and on the other site. Looks like you like the anima style a lot. Are they your own characters or are they fan art? I would just keep drawing and sketching and practice as much as you can. Try the characters in lots of different poses. Look at all kinds of art for inspiration. I'm sorry that your family is not more supportive. I would just keep on drawing and creating new art and try to find a good full time job that will allow you to go to art school at night. I had to work full time all throughout college to afford to go because my parents could not help me. It's hard to say a lot about your art until we see some more. I think that you have a good start with what you're doing and you obviously love it so keep it up!! Get steady employment and get into the art school you want, I think art school with life drawing classes, art history, and painting would help you a lot! I wish you good luck Joshua! I can't wait to see some more of your art in the future.
jjohnson

Postby Charles » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:48 pm

Adding to the advice that jjohnson and tstevens gave in the other topic, develop a positive and professional attitude. Get away from that defeatist mindset. Check your spelling before you post.

Go to http://www.blogger.com and set up a blog for yourself.

Go to http://www.deviantart.com and start showcasing your work there. Be part of a community that's all about showing and sharing your artwork. There's plenty of free art lessons on the Web. YouTube "drawing lessons" and "animation lessons" and see what shows up.

The Don Bluth site/community is a great place to go to learn about drawing and animation.

http://donbluthanimation.com/

Commit yourself to the art. Develop the discipline to create every day no matter what. Becoming a great artist is the same thing as becoming great in anything and everything else. It takes time, dedicated effort and constant creative productivity.

Get going in that direction and occupy your mind with positivity and productivity. Develop your franchise, that means developing you. Look to be a light that shines and your art will attract happy things to you.

Good luck, keep creating.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby palmtree » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:14 am

hello everyone charles and j johnson I started a blog on blogger called palmtree ink it's the name of a company I will make if my comic book the shadow walker takes off. However I really don't understand the way it works I will attempt to learn on by myself but anything anyone can suggest would be helpful

Thank you

Joshua Palmer
palmtree

Return to General Discussion