animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

My name is Mok, thanks a lot

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

My name is Mok, thanks a lot

Postby Charles » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:54 pm

An animated feature film from 1983, notable among other things for its music which included Cheap Trick, Debbie Harry of the group Blondie, Iggy Pop, Earth Wind & Fire and more.

Here's the villain of the movie, Mok, singing about himself with rocker Lou Reed doing the honors. Afterwards, watch how Mok and his dimwitted sidekick interact as the issue of good and evil is discussed between them. Great vocal performances by the characters and quality acting by the animators.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: My name is Mok, thanks a lot

Postby Easy Zee » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:38 am

About 9 years ago, I brought a comic book I have into the studio, a Rock N Rule comic. The panels are screenshots from the movie with word bubbles added, it's a really nifty little book, with several pages of a 'making of' section at the back. I don't know how rare it is, but it's a cherished comic book of mine just because Rock N Rule is one of the reasons I got into animation. Anyway I brought the comic into work and pretty much the whole team said the same thing; that they love the movie and it was one of the reasons they got into animation. Of course most of the team grew up in Ontario, they used to play the movie all the time on TV Canada. To this day, this movie stands up to the test of time. Even the stuff that may be dated, the mullets, the style, the music, the cel animation, doesn't matter. You can tell the animators poured their heart and soul into making this movie. It's just as good to watch now as it was back then. Which just goes to show that no matter how much technology, how much money, how much marketing and test audiences you have, to make a film resonate with people you need to put passion into it.

According to Wikipedia;
"The only visible merchandise ever made for Rock and Rule was an official Marvel Comics adaptation, with authentic pictures from the film and its production."
Easy Zee

Re: My name is Mok, thanks a lot

Postby palmtree » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:41 am

Being an 80's child I have a lot of experance with 80's and 90's animation Like the american rabbit, the hobbit, unico and the island of magic ect. however this one is new to me I don't rember any of this one. however you can defoninetley from the time in question. and I believe the 80's -early to mid 90's was the very best time for animation. but thts just my opinion
palmtree

Return to General Discussion