animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Need help on finding specific terms for drawing

Learn about animation from the pros

Need help on finding specific terms for drawing

Postby Trogdor » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:24 pm

It would be neat if someone who has more knowledge than I do would post up and stickie a thread with specific animation terms or drawing terms.

For instance, what is it called when your doing a drawing and the character is making fast movement, so to signify the movement, you'll draw swoosh lines. Or if the hand is moving back and forth, you'll drawing the main hand and two outlines of the hands, to show it's in motion. Another example would be if someone is spinning around in place extremely fast, and you'll see outlines of the character in a spinning motion? I see this used alot in comics like Garfield.

I hope you have some sort of clue what I'm saying. :|
Trogdor

Re: Need help on finding specific terms for drawing

Postby Charles » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:42 pm

I think the term you're looking for Mike is motion blur.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Trogdor » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:09 am

Thats what I thought too, but the "blur" throws me off, unless it applies to what I'm talking about. Heres an example. Is this considered motion blur Charles?
Trogdor

Postby Charles » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:20 am

Yes, in effect. It's not quite the way I would portray it, I'd choose to emphasize more blur than illustrating the appendages, but that's what the artist is trying to convey.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Glen Moyes » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:05 pm

I've heard them called smears. And apparently when you have the same limb drawn multiple times they are called multiples.

I found out about multiples from this blog that is devoted to things like this: http://animationsmears.tumblr.com/
Glen Moyes

Postby Trogdor » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:06 am

Glen Moyes wrote:I've heard them called smears. And apparently when you have the same limb drawn multiple times they are called multiples.

I found out about multiples from this blog that is devoted to things like this: http://animationsmears.tumblr.com/

Great find! Exactly what darkwing duck, roger rabbit and even the road runner when eating, is what I'm talking about. I find the smear (or smudge) effect useful as well, but I see it as a brother of multiples. Both work very effectively in my opinion for a nice way of "cheating".
Trogdor

Return to Education