animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

San Diego Comic Con 2010

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

San Diego Comic Con 2010

Postby Jose Saenz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:31 am

Alright, so I'm super excited about Comic Con this year. It'll only be my second time going. I had so much fun the first time around, getting to meet some great people like Mr. Fun, and have been dying to return since.

I'd love to hear what other fellow ANers will be attending, especially if you have a table.

Any highlights that I should keep an eye out for?
Jose Saenz

Re: San Diego Comic Con 2010

Postby SNAKEBITE » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:10 am

I'm excited this year too! For the first time in a few years. No table though. Just walking around with good people connecting with other good people. Thats the main thing I look forward to. Connecting and checking out the art. SO much good stuff in artists alley. Make sure to make a big stink about artists alley. I'd like to see artists alley take over the con, I'm tired of huge corporate noise machines they call booths.
SNAKEBITE

Postby paburrows » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:34 am

I love Comic-Con and always will, but for those who want an alternative I know that theres a group who are trying to get a convention going during the same week that will have a focus on the actual artists. They are currently scouting out a place for next year.
paburrows

Postby paburrows » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:30 am

I forgot to add the name & link. Thats why we need a longer editing window.

Creator-Con
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/CREATOR-CONITS-ON/106135489407633?ref=ts
paburrows

Postby palmtree » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:51 pm

I was origianlly planning on going but lossing my job and having to come home and no job sice kind of canceled that I even was sedualed to attend acen anime central in rosemont last may however wasn't able to. I hope everyone has fun thou and if you can send me some autographs
palmtree

Postby ZaneKohler » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:54 am

I will be attending Saturday! Already starting to find photos on the web! Looking forward to seeing the Tron Light Cycle!

Sorry to hear you wont be able to attend palmtree, but very understandable under the circumstances.

@paburrows That will be cool for sure! The artists have been getting pushed out more and more it seems. I am guilty in that I do enjoy the big Hollywood feel, but the artist booths are still my biggest to do when going.

Anyone one here going to be selling sketchbooks or anything to promote? I am compiling my list of booths to hit up. Would love to add some more to it!
ZaneKohler

Postby paburrows » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:36 am

I went and man it was awesome! I/m really starting to feel the over crowded nature of it though. They need to have a second one at a different time of the year or something to try and suck off some of the crowd from the main convention or something. Maybe that Creator-Con will do that at least to a small extent. Everyone back at home that I spoke to was envious though that I was able to go.
paburrows

Postby ZaneKohler » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:52 am

Yeah it has got very busy. It was a blast for sure. It was the first year I did not even plan to go into any of the panels just because the wait is getting too ridiculous. When walking into the masquerade party there was a line already formed for Sunday!

However it was a blast just walking around people watching and purchasing all the latest sketchbooks and art books.
ZaneKohler

Postby MrFun » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:38 pm

For me, the best part of ComicCon is meeting lots and lots of creative people. I always return home really jazzed. The energy at the con is infectious. Even for an old guy like myself.
MrFun

Postby paburrows » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:38 pm

I agree I waited in a lot of lines and got to know some many interesting new people. Its always just so inspiring with all of the people that you meet, all of the art and many other things.
paburrows

Postby ZaneKohler » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:37 pm

MrFun wrote:For me, the best part of ComicCon is meeting lots and lots of creative people. I always return home really jazzed. The energy at the con is infectious. Even for an old guy like myself.

I totally agree about the energy. I always leave feeling so excited to pick up a pencil.

@Mr.Fun - I think I saw you walking into the center. I was a bit too shy to just come out of no where to ask for a picture and a hand shake. Although with some of the characters who attend I guess I would be pretty tame.
ZaneKohler

Postby MrFun » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:39 pm

Aw, Zane. You should have said hello. I would have really liked to have met you.
MrFun

Postby Jose Saenz » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:59 am

So I went to SDCC and I have to say, I have mixed feelings about the event. Mostly, I was disappointed. I thought it was a mess...too many people. It was virtually impossible to catch a lot of the panels unless you waited in lines for hours before hand. Moving through the crowds was a chore and exhausting. The artists alley was almost sad to walk through. They've been pushed off to the side. The only other time that I went to SDCC the artists were still in the middle of the exhibition floor...and you could still walk through the aisles relatively easy.

On the other hand, you can never put a price on the people you actually do get to meet...and even though it was a bit sad to see how the artists have been pushed off to the side, it was still awesome getting to see them and buy their books. I myself was really looking forward to shaking hands with Kevin Dart, who's one of my favorite illustrators and biggest artistic heroes. His seductive espionage book was a must buy: http://yuki7.bigcartel.com/product/seductive-espionage

So in conclusion, although I'm glad I went to SDCC this year, I don't see myself going back anytime in the near future. I have high hopes for this Creator Con concept though. I'll keep an eye out for it.

-Jose S.
Jose Saenz

Return to General Discussion