animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Origin of Bugs Bunny munching on carrots?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Origin of Bugs Bunny munching on carrots?

Postby Charles » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:18 am

A friend mentioned to me recently that the creative inspiration of Bugs Bunny's carrot munching came from Clark Gable doing the same thing from the 1934 movie "It Happened One Night". So I did a little research and sure enough, there's evidence to show that may indeed be the case.

Check it out as attempts to educate Claudette Colbert on the fine art of hitchhiking...

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Origin of Bugs Bunny munching on carrots?

Postby -Evan- » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:21 pm

Could be...

They need to make classy movies like this again. I've never seen this movie before, and only watched the clip here, but I instantly care more about this movie and the characters more than most movies I've seen in my life.
-Evan-

Re: Origin of Bugs Bunny munching on carrots?

Postby Charles » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:43 am

The scene comes from the movie "It Happened One Night" from 1934. A classic that was the first film to win all five major Academy Awards. Best Picture, Director (Frank Capra), Actor (Clark Gable), Actress (Claudette Colbert), and Screenplay. It seems to me that this scene certainly could've inspired Bugs Bunny's carrot chomp / munching as I've heard that's the case.

It you like watching great films from yesteryear, the cable station TMC (Turner Movie Classics) is great for this. They play old movies commercial free. Even obscure silent films.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion