animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Celebrating Ray Harryhausen

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Celebrating Ray Harryhausen

Postby Charles » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:52 pm

At lunch with a good friend today, the subject of Ray Harryhausen's films came up. Later I watched Jason and the Argonauts. What a film that was for its time. Nothing like it for stop motion animation and still holds up great to this day.

Of the many scenes and sequences that come to mind for me when I think of the that film, this one stands out. The inadvertent awakening of Talos when Hercules steals a broach pin of the gods. I remember the terror I felt as a kid first time I saw it.

Here's the sequence where the collosal bronze statue comes to life.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Celebrating Ray Harryhausen

Postby Charles » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:16 pm

Another Harryhausen gem from the Golden Voyage of Sinbad in 1973. An evil magician conjures a statue of the goddess Kali to come to life...

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion