animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

What's the Internet doing to us?

News and events from around the world

What's the Internet doing to us?

Postby Charles » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:34 am

An article from the New York Times...

Hooked on Gadgets, and Paying a Mental Price
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/techn ... brain.html

Is the Internet Destroying Your Brain?
http://www.good.is/post/is-the-internet ... ?gt1=48001

Daily Z

Charles

Re: What's the Internet doing to us?

Postby jeffnevins » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:01 pm

Interesting read. It's funny how I didn't own a computer or use one at work when I was doing assistant animation/cleanup on paper.

As an indie guy doing cleanup/color/animation in Flash the past four years (I do design on paper), I've used the computer a lot more (mainly YouTube as a source of music and lecture audio). I check email a few times a day, and Facebook once.
jeffnevins

Postby skynet » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:03 am

It only hurting the people that abuse it.

It's always the same with everything and goes back to moderation. Too much of one thing will mess you up. Sitting in a chair too long will eventually break you because your neck and back will start getting trashed pretty fast. Staring at the displays too long will kill your eyes. I rely on computers and the internet for almost everything I do....from building web sites, researching, learning, writing code, to graphics and audio, writing and recording music, etc... going back and forth between the left and right brain all day. Sometimes it's hard to get away because there's always something I need or want to do, but about ever hour I take my eyes away from the screen, get up, walk around, or step outside, look at the sky and get away from the computer for at least 5 minutes. That really helps. I also try to read a book (or printed pages) when I need to research something I am working with on the computer/internet. Our eyes weren't designed to stare at computer displays all day so the more brief moments you can get away the better.

I think multitasking is fine as long as you don't multitask things that don't matter that much and don't multitask over 3 complicated or engrossing things. To me the main problems are the things that waste energy and only add to the time we are at the computer. For example, Facebook (or social web sites in general) is mostly a bad thing because you end up wasting way more time than you should. It's ok to use it for some necessary communication, but most of the time you end up reading or chatting about pointless stuff for too long. I go to Facebook once in a while to try to check on what's going on but I don't hang on there all day every day. These days people seem to be multitasking things that don't matter instead of multitasking work or more important stuff... which means a huge amount of time at the computer but less time actually getting more things done.

For the cell phone, I mainly only use it for calls. I hate texting unless it's very necessary or there's no other way to communicate. The phone is just too small for anything else besides calls or occasional texting. It is really a joke to try to view anything on it, unless you're reading text on a site designed for phones, but that is still not ideal. Then something like the ipad, at least at this early stage, is just a toy and will mostly end up wasting more time for anyone that has one. Most of these gadgets are currently designed to distract you from life, just like TV. You'd probably want to feel sorry for someone who has an iphone, an ipad, a very large flat screen TV, an Xbox, etc, and their whole life is spent just using the devices.

Even though I do so many things on the computer and internet I always know there are other things in life that are far more important, such as life itself.
skynet

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:33 pm

yeah, what Skynet said!
SNAKEBITE

Return to Current Events