animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Celebrating 12 years of ArtShark!

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

Celebrating 12 years of ArtShark!

Postby Charles » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:18 pm

Howdy everybody!

It was 12 years ago this month, back in December, 1998, when ArtShark, the mascot of The Animation Academy, made his debut in print.

And now that the Academy is gearing up for online classes in 2011, he's still doing us the mighty good of endorsing the school.

AcademyOnline2c.jpg

I just came up with promo art for our online program using the standard brand design of Artshark...

AcademyOnline3a.jpg

...when I realized the anniversary. In December '98 it was the first time the Academy went to color for its printed schedules. Artshark had existed in a slightly different form since the summer of '98 as an image on the school's website, but later in December is when he came out and about.

ArtShark ran twice in every schedule the Academy printed from that point on in December '99 to the end of 2004 when we moved from our building on Olive Avenue in Burbank. From that point on as we turned to the use of the Internet exclusively and migrated from printed schedules, he's made special appearances, usually for a holiday.

He's getting ready to come out of semi-retirement and jive with us now that we're going online. He's excite about the step forward and that's what he does best. He steps forward that rascal.

So then I thought, why not feature ArtShark on a dedicated topic in the AN Gallery. I can tie it in to the school through links from our website and blog. It'll be fun, and everyone can see the wide range of activity he's had plugging the Academy all these years.

It'll be an ArtShark Exhibition!

I'll be back later with the story of ArtShark and lots of art to share.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Celebrating 12 years of ArtShark!

Postby Charles » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:09 pm

In December, 1997, I came up with this design for the cover of a two page flyer I mailed to about 35 people I knew. Some friends, some former students, to let them know I was starting a flagship class for a new school, The Animation Academy.

AcademyScheduleDec97a.jpg

I booked the back room of the Coral Cafe in Burbank in that month and scheduled eight Monday night sessions staring on January 19, 1998.

I spent about $15 on stamps and envelopes. The computer I used for the text of the flyer was a little 486 from around 1992.

I had room for 20 and sold out the available seats.

That's how the Academy got started. From this modest beginning it went on to help change the face of the industry.

Aside from its original mailing, this is the first time this art has been published. It's been patiently waiting for 13 years.

The original idea for an Academy mascot was the character you see here. I would spend the next year experimenting.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:26 pm

In the earliest days of the school, the schedules were printed on a xerox and mailed out. This is the art on the cover of our second flyer. It's the only time I used a human based character and not an animal of some kind for a possible mascot figure, and the first time it's being published since March 1998. None of the flyer art from the Academy's first year has been published until now.

AcademyScheduleMarch98a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:41 pm

For the June 1998 flyer I tried a little dinosaur type of character and animated him in a run cycle. Clicking on the image will give you a better view.

AcademyScheduleJune98a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:54 pm

By August, 1998 we had enough revenue coming into the school to afford a professional printing service. I went back to a character similar to the one from our first flyer, showing the process from free form concept sketch, to establishing construction, to final line. The shadows were done manually with zip-a-tone.

AcademyScheduleAug98a.jpg

This was also the first time that a back cover image was included, reminding students to "come to class prepared to draw".

The little mouse character was the last time I used any character mascot other than ArtShark for our schedules.

AcademyScheduleAug98back1.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:51 am

From 1996 to the end of 1997, I taught at a friend's art schhol. I was officially the head of the animation department. The school was very popular and did great during the animation boom of the 90s. But I had to leave as things weren't working out.

Later in 1998, my friend wrongly accused me of trying to steal his students for my school. He said some very unflattering things about me, telling people that I was a shark waiting for a wound to happen so I could attack.

Well, I thought about it, and said to myself, being a shark isn't such a bad thing. So I went with the shark version I played with earlier and by the end of the year, the Academy had its mascot.

I don't have the digital file of this image. It was colored in Photoshop by an acquaintance, and I never wound up the file. So I scanned the printed image from the schedule to post here.

This would become the default image of the character and the brand of the Academy.

ArtSharkJanuary1999.jpg

The back of our schedules from here on out would see ArtShark extolling our students to come to class prepared to draw.

ArtsharkJanuary1999a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:52 am

By March 1999, ArtShark made his second appearance in print. Here he is on the cover...

ArtSharkMarch1999.jpg

...and on the back of the Academy's schedule of classes.

ArtSharkMarch1999a.jpg

The Photoshop color was done by a lady who worked at the printer as a graphic artist.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:01 pm

In April, 1999, the school had moved to the building we would occupy for the next six years. By this time Snakebite had taken over the coloring of ArtShark, where his appearance the following month in our schedule coincided with the move to our new location.

The printer didn't do such a hot job, which is why the registration is slightly off around the line.

ArtSharkMay1999.jpg

Here he is on the back cover.

ArtSharkMay1999a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:15 pm

Stepping out in the August, 1999 schedule of classes. Still getting a handle on the character of ArtShark design wise.

ArtSharkAugust1999.jpg

And here he is as an academic on the back side, with a map and directions to the school's location in Burbank on Olive Avenue, across from Warner Bros and NBC.

ArtSharkAugust1999a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:44 pm

By October 1999, ArtShark was hitting his stride. This is one of my favorite depictions of him.

ArtSharkOctober1999.jpg

On the back, ArtShark as a card shark, reminding students to come to class prepared to "draw".

ArtSharkOctober1999a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:22 pm

The year Y2K got off without a glitch as some were speculating there would be massive computer problems, but everything was fine.

Here's ArtShark anticipating the year of the Olympics. They were held in Syndey, Australia.

ArtSharkJanuary2000.jpg

Having fun with the backside composition, placing ArtShark within a scene for the first time.

ArtSharkJanuary2000a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:15 am

Into ArtShark's second year in print, I was having fun with him in a Napoleonic pose from March 2000...

ArtSharkMarch2000.jpg

And as an ArtShark-in-the-box on the backside, Snakebite handling the color of both.

ArtSharkMarch2000a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:08 am

Toro! ArtShark as a matador in the May, 2000 schedule of classes.

ArtSharkMay2000.jpg

On the back, archeologist ArtShark discovers that he's been around a long time.

ArtSharkMay2000a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:06 pm

ArtShark calling the shot in August, 2000.

ArtSharkAugust2000.jpg

And here he is with an educational reminder on the backside.

ArtSharkAugust2000a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:39 pm

By October 2000, ArtShark was getting into some bizarre attire, but it's all in fun.

ArtSharkOctober2000.jpg

And on the back of the Academy's schedule, it's always a good time to fish for new things creatively.

ArtSharkOctober2000a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:10 pm

Ten years ago this month in January 2001, ArtShark was a mop-top rocker.

ArtSharkJanuary2001.jpg

And on the flip side, taking the message to other worlds.

ArtSharkJanuary2001a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:56 pm

There's still plenty of ArtSharks to go. If this gets too long I may start a second part to it.

In March, 2001 he was a Yankee Doodle Dandy.

ArtSharkMarch2001.jpg

And on the back, ArtShark-in-the-box.

ArtSharkMarch2001a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:35 am

In August, 2001 we saw ArtShark as an Egyptian Pharaoh. This image was used to promote a special event the Academy previously sponsored featuring the two art directors from Prince of Egypt.

ArtSharkAugust2001.jpg

And on the back side of the schedule, ArtShark is minted as coin.

ArtSharkAugust2001a.jpg

A short time after the publication of the Academy's August 2001 schedule of classes, the world would change forever.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to A.N. Gallery