animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Did Lasseter really tell Disney execs "If you don't draw...

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Did Lasseter really tell Disney execs "If you don't draw...

Postby Charles » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:58 am

... you don't belong here"...?

Legend has it that's what he told the monkey when Pixar merged with Disney and he took control of the creative helm.

Well, we have further verification thanks to Eric Goldberg.

Go to about 5:40 of this video and see what he says.

If anyone has any doubt about how beneficial the merger and Lasseter's control has been for the Big D as compared to what it was like before, watch that video one more time. From beginning to end.

Thank you for turning me on to this Glen Moyes.

And while you're at it folks, watch the rest of the videos in this outstanding series.

That was Part 4, so let's start at the beginning. Uploaded only a few days ago on December.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Did Lasseter really tell Disney execs "If you don't draw

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:32 am

According to Eric Goldberg's account, Lasseter took the Disney executives to dinner and then told them if they don't draw they don't belong here.

When this story originally broke in January 2006 when the Disney Pixar merger happened, the story was that it took place at a meeting at the Disney lot.

Whichever version is true, it seems to have occurred, and based upon the results, we saw 2D animation come back to Disney and it appears the layers of get-in-the-way-non-creative executives are a thing of the past over there as far as I can tell.

Something else I find interesting.

When I posted a topic on the old forums last year that was similar in nature to Mr. Lasseter's famous line... "Why do we take orders from people who can't draw?"... there was such a ridiculous overreaction to it, mostly by people in animation who don't draw, you would think they were ex-Disney execs by the way they behaved.

I think it's funny how some in this biz can celebrate what Mr. Lasseter said and then turn around and be vitriolic when I pose a rhetorical question along the same lines.

There's room for all sorts of people in animation, and it's right that artists should take center stage in their own industry.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion