animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Remembering Roy E. Disney - Died this day 1 year ago

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Remembering Roy E. Disney - Died this day 1 year ago

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:45 am

RoyDisney.jpg
RoyDisney.jpg (18.66 KiB) Viewed 148 times

He was a huge part of the development of the modern animation industry. From 1984 when he saved the Walt Disney Company from being broken up and sold off in chunks, to rescuing it again from the path that Michael Eisner was on 20 years later.

He was ridiculed and even vilified by some in the online animation community when he lead the Disney shareholders revolt in 2003, but the vast majority of people supported him and the SaveDisney movement he started.

His actions helped keep 2D feature animation alive and lead to the company's merger with Pixar in 2006.

Everyone who met him liked this man. He had no enemies except those who sought to undo the great things that his uncle and his father created over the course of their lifetimes.

He was and is a personal hero of mine for what he did in taking on Eisner.

On the AN Forums, I wholeheartedly supported him and this site was among his very biggest fans.

So on this day, the first anniversary of his passing, I want to say one more time, thanks Roy, for everything you did, and Rest In Peace.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Remembering Roy E. Disney - Died this day 1 year ago

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:51 pm

Here's the news report on NBC from a year ago today announcing Roy Disney's passing.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:57 pm

I remember this well. Roy's message to the shareholders of the Disney Company.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:15 am

Leonard Maltin interviewed Roy Disney shortly before Roy passed away.

In his interview, he spent a lot of time asking Roy about his memories of the Disney Studio during the days of World War II and afterwards. His recollections are invaluable, and we can see just how involved he was in the studio even as a kid.

Leonard Maltin has a lot of class. Unlike some other animation historians who accused Roy of really not caring and only wanting to make money by his war with Eisner. It's obvious through Mr. Maltin's questions that Roy Disney was an intimate part of the Disney Studios and cared very much about it.

Roy is well spoken, and I can't help thinking that he was aware of the fact that he had stomach cancer by the time of this interview and perhaps knew that he didn't have too much time left in this world.

Here's Leonard Maltin's excellent interview with Roy Disney.

Part 1

Part 2

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion