animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Allon - Book 2 - Insurrection cover

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

Allon - Book 2 - Insurrection cover

Postby Rob Lamb » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:18 am

I am designing the cover for INSURRECTION, Shawn's second book in the Allon fantasy series. As the development progresses, I would appreciate any constructive feedback.

allon_02_cover_steelblue2.jpg
Steel Blue for the background color?
allon_02_cover-brown2.jpg
Or brown?

Shawn is also soliciting feedback on her blog and Facebook Group.
Rob Lamb

Re: Allon - Book 2 - Insurrection cover

Postby Charles » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:28 pm

I like them both Rob. The brown would work out since it would more closely match the color of the first book. But if I had to choose on color alone I'd say I'm partial to the steel blue.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Rob Lamb » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:00 am

Thanks for the input, Charles.

I have a few more iterations to post as we try out different looks. It will be one of these 2 color schemes. This time I added bare trees with an embossed effect. I should add that the setting for the story is winter.

allon_02_cover_steelblue-tr.jpg
Steel Blue with embossed bare trees
allon_02_cover-brown-trees.jpg
Brown with embossed bare trees
Rob Lamb

Postby Charles » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:49 am

I think the trees help. The first rendition looks good, but with the embossed tree designs, the cover becomes more interesting and suggestive. We're getting a glimpse into some aspect of the story. It also gives the feeling of shattered glass, which relates to the turmoil involved in an insurrection.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:45 am

I agree with all the above comments Charles made. The trees with the blue. ButI feel like the letters should be flat though. No bevel or emboss. too much at that point, especially with the trees. I would also bring down the letters in size unless you're trying to match pre existing editions. Sometimes large fonts work against the design. But thats personal preference. take it with a grain of salt.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Rob Lamb » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:22 am

Charles - Your comment about the trees resembling broken glass was not something I planned, but it is an interesting insight.

Snakebite - The embossed type is a style that was set in the first book cover. The font size is actually smaller than the first book and many times smaller than the industry average.

With yours and other feedback in mind I have changed the embossed trees to faded light outlines (at Shawn's request - author's privilege) and added a frame to tie it to the vintage book design of the first cover.

allon_02_cover_steelblu-frame2.jpg
Final design
Rob Lamb

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:30 pm

I think with the fade of the trees the embossed font doesn't bug me now. the boarder ties everything in. very nice!
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:57 pm

There's something about the toned trees as opposed to the outlines. Rob, would you mind trying another version? One with the toned trees within the border.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Rob Lamb » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:55 am

Your order is ready ...

allon_02_cover_steelblu-frame3.jpg
By Charles' request - steel blue, embossed trees, with silver frame
Rob Lamb

Postby Charles » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:02 pm

That's the way to go Rob. Try and convince your wife that the solid toned trees are a more appealing design that the outlined trees. For one thing, the image reads better as trees. I'm not entirely sold on the design border, but I think it's probably a better way to go. The trees without it gives me the feeling / impression of desolation. The border does something to counter that. Plus it relates to the cover of her first book as it had a border design on the cover as well. In any case, personally I'm partial to the solid tone tree design.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Rob Lamb » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:19 am

Charles: Shawn found your remarks very interesting and will keep them under advisement. The polls we took on her Allon Facebook group and blog preferred the previous version. Still, we are a month or two away from having to make a final decision, so we will live with the choices for a while.

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback from both you and Snakebite.
Rob Lamb

Return to A.N. Gallery