animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Help with coloring on an animation

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Help with coloring on an animation

Postby gwastudios » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:10 am

This this is a previous animation I did a while ago. Since then, I have been able to fix the fluent movements within the animation. but when it comes down to it I'm still having trouble with the shading in the animation for the game.

Here is a link to the scrapped animation:

http://vimeo.com/17525863
gwastudios

Re: Help with coloring on an animation

Postby Charles » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:39 pm

The color looks good, but as you pointed out, the shading needs some attention. To start, it's not that bad so take heart. I'd darken the value or tonal aspect of the shadow slightly, and try and confine it to specific shapes. Shadows should read as shapes that help define the form of the subject that's affected by light. That's the biggest problem I see with your work, is that the shadows are not shapes as distinct as the forms themselves. Give it another try along those lines and see what kind of results you get.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion