animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Hey Animation Guild - recognize this?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Hey Animation Guild - recognize this?

Postby Charles » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:35 am

Clearing out stuff and discovered some ancient artifacts.

GuildPicket1.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Hey Animation Guild - recognize this?

Postby JDC » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Here is a PBS show, animated in Canada, about outsourcing. http://www.pbs.org/wrenchturns/epguide/outsourcing
JDC

Postby Charles » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:59 am

I'm willing to bet that 21.2% of people currently in the Guild will recognize these signs.

They're picket signs from April 2000, the last time Guild demonstrated for something. In this case, to get the Public Broadcasting System to stop using US taxpayer money to fund animation production in countries other than the US.

I saved these pickets signs. I carried two of them and I think Snakebite carried the third one 10 1/2 years ago.

Yep, AN was there. We marched with the Guild. In addition to Snakebite and myself there were many others not in the Guild who picketed that day thanks to AN. In fact, it was the AN Movement that gave the union the kick in the ass to do something other than complain about things.

Nothing happened after that demonstration. It didn't change the situation. From what I understand, American taxpayer dollars are still used to fund animation production outside of the US for content that is broadcast on US television. But it was a fun day no less.

These are the signs I saved.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SteveK » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:22 pm

As a matter of fact Charles, Steve and I were talking about the PBS strike the other day. We found pictures of those days. Tom Sito and his crazy hat. Steve and Mr. Cataldi.

Indeed. Those were different times.
SteveK

Postby Charles » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:25 am

You said it. Those were indeed different times. If it were to happen today I wouldn't waste the effort with you guys. You had a lot of goodwill back then. You squandered it with your ill focused hostility. You can't even field a second candidate for president and you can only muster 1 in 5 of your members to vote in your own elections. Did you guys save a picket sign from that march? I'd be surprised if you did. Most people in your union have no idea this even took place. I don't think they care much about it anyway.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion