animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Animation Guild 2010 election results are in

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Animation Guild 2010 election results are in

Postby Charles » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Just been notified that the Animation Guild has completed their election. Here's the line up for the next three years, taken directly from the Guild's blog as posted by Jeff Massie.

UPDATED as of 3:36 pm.

The vote-counting is now complete. Winners below the fold.

Due to a mathematical error on my part, the earlier results were in error. These are not official until we receive the Judge's final report on Monday although they are unlikely to change. My apologies for any confusion ... JM.

Contested positions:

Business Representative

Steve Hulett†

Executive Board

Bronwen Barry*†
John Cataldi†
Nicole Dubuc*†
Janette Hulett†
Karen Carnegie Johnson*†
Cathy Jones*†
Gordon Kent
Nathan Loofbourrow
Mike Roth
Chris Simmons
Jack Thomas

Elected without opposition on September 28:

President: Bob Foster
Vice-President: Earl Kress†
Recording Secretary: Jeff Massie†
Sergeant-At-Arms: Jan Browning†

† incumbent

* the three highest vote-getters on the Executive Board also serve as Trustees. This year we have a tie for third place between Bronwen Barry and Cathy Jones; the final choice as Trustee between them remains to be determined.

Follow this link to see the election results on the Guild's blog.

Congratulations to the new and returning officers, and I mean that with all sincerity. I'm confident that you're as sincere about protecting the interests of your members and of the animation community at large as I am in my well wishes to the winners.

Change is good, especially when it's needed and I feel this change, especially with a new president in Bob Foster, has been much needed. I hope that bad feelings won't continue to be fostered through your organization towards AN and others in animation who aren't members of the Guild. No pun intended Bob. AN has always been supportive of the Guild as our history shows time and again, and we'll continue to support the Guild in whatever way we can. Especially those members who for one reason or another, feel they're not being heard by you or feel they've been disenfranchised in some way from the Guild.

I hope your organization will strive for a stronger leadership role in animation. Perhaps with Bob Foster and the new era we're looking at, things will change for the better from what we've experienced before. That's my hope. Whether or not it happens is entirely up to the Guild. I remain optimistic.

In any case, wishing everyone happiness.

Congrats, good luck and Keep Creating a positive future for all.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Animation Guild 2010 election results are in

Postby EAllen » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:19 pm

Plus, the holiday season is coming up, Charles! :D

Kidding aside, I'm excited about how much things are a-changin'. Sad that things couldn't be worked out with the old leaders, but clearly things are moving on from that point.

Congrats to the Guild's newly appointed and I look forward to witnessing improved relations between AN and the Guild.
EAllen

Postby Charles » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:04 pm

Bob Foster came to a couple of AN Nights. I remember seeing and meeting him there. I also spoke with him briefly at the Floyd Norman event last May at the Guild's building in Burbank. I recognized him from before. Didn't realize he would be president a few months later, but from what I experienced in my encounters with him he seems like a good guy.

The outgoing president hadn't shown up to any AN event in several years. The Guild, except for some individual members, has pretty much been non-existent at our events and even on the forums, which is really too bad. With the efforts they're trying to make at organizing, they're missing a prime opportunity to develop goodwill and support from within their own community.

I maintain that they can get away with being this much of a non-factor in the overall animation community because anyone who gets into a Guild studio must join, so there's no pressure on them to reach out to prospective members. It's just common sense to develop goodwill in your own backyard if your long term goals are to organize studios that aren't part of the union. In this day and age, with all the challenges that unions are facing, you would think they could use all the support they can get. That's what makes the Animation Guild's stance against AN illogical on their part. Maybe that will change under Bob, we'll have to wait and see.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby paburrows » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:39 am

Looking at his resume is looks like most of his recent jobs have been Non-Union. Blue Sky Studios, Super 78 Studios, Snoot Entertainment, Medical CyberWorlds. I wonder what that means for the union and what kind of shake up he's going to effect?
paburrows

Postby Charles » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:29 pm

Time will tell, Paul. Meanwhile, AWN reports that IATSE which is the mothership of the Guild, has hired an attorney and is preparing an effort to organize visual effects artists.

IATSE to Organize Visual Effects Artists

By Rick DeMott | Monday, November 15, 2010 at 12:55 pm | AWN News

IATSE has formally announced that it will begin efforts to organize visual effects artists, reports FXGuide. The guild has hired labor lawyer Jim Goodman as a full-time rep for the effort.

IATSE, the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees represents cinematographers (local 600), art directors (local 800), animators (local 839), editors (local 700) and more.

http://www.awn.com/news/business/iatse- ... ts-artists

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:09 pm

Here's the final vote count for the election as reported on the Guild's blog by Jeff Massie.

Now that we have the official Certification Of Results from the American Arbitration Association, Steve H. has asked me to post the official vote count, which you will find below the fold.

VOTER RESPONSE

2010: 21.2% (487 ballots received from 2,289 eligible voters)
2007: 16.3%

BUSINESS REPRESENTATIVE

1. Steven Hulett*...........295 votes
2. Karen Nugent2............178 votes1
No response...............14

EXECUTIVE BOARD

1. Karen Carnegie Johnson*..308 votes
2. Nicole Dubuc*............305 votes
3. Bronwen Barry*...........304 votes
3. Cathy Jones*.............304 votes
5. Gordon Kent..............285 votes
6. Janette Hulett*..........276 votes
7. John Cataldi*............259 votes
7. Michael Roth.............259 votes
9. Nathan Loofbourrow3......251 votes
10. Christopher Simmons......249 votes
11. Jack Thomas..............234 votes
12. Eugene So................228 votes1
13. Kevin Moore..............225 votes1

* incumbent
1 not elected
2 incumbent Executive Board member
3 Executive Board member, 2004-2007

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... tally.html

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:50 am

Man, I swear, this union has some serious problems. The outgoing president engages Amid Amidi of all people at Cartoonbrew and can't get by without making disparaging remarks about AnimationNation.

So now that you don't like what he said, are you going to get rid of Cartoonbrew's link on the TAG blog like you did with us?

Let's look at the numbers folks. Look at the above post and the final tally of votes.

Check this out everyone.

Of the 2,289 eligible voters in the Guild, only 487 ballots were received. That's a 21.2% turnout. But don't despair! It's up from 16.3% three years ago. Things are really improving. Only 78.8% of your eligible membership decided not to participate in the election this time around.

I know someone who works in animation but used to work at a grocery store, and they routinely got a 90% to 95% turnout on their union elections. Maybe you guys should start bagging groceries and stocking shelves. You'll appreciate what you have.

And you know what else? Nobody besides Bob Foster bothered to run for president.

Here's an interesting statistic. The top four vote getters for the Guild's executive board are all women. And all of them received more votes than Steve Hulett the Business Rep. And the only one challenging him was Karen Nugent, another female.

Seems like the ladies of the Guild have more balls than the men do. Maybe they should take over.

I've tried to tell you this in the past and I was vilified by you guys for it. Nobody cares. Your own membership doesn't care enough to vote. Your Guild is uninspiring and stale. In short, it sucks, and Bob Fosters biggest challenge is to somehow make it unsuck.

You guys put more effort into name calling and trying to quell this site than you do into reaching out to your own membership and caring about your own people.

We were your friends. We supported you for years. All I did was report what I witnessed at a Guild meeting on September 30, 2008 and you took off our link. You guys allow trolls to run free on your blog under the guise of freedom of speech, but when I say something that you don't like you remove our link. You guys are so obsessed with putting down AN you can't even keep us out of the mix at Cartoonbrew. You look like fools in front of the fanboys.

Well guys, there's the numbers from your election and for the first time, we can see the depth of apathy that your own membership has about you. Now you're trying to organize visual effects artists after how many years of doing nothing? And how about video game artists and animators. How many years is it gonna be before you start getting around to that?

Like I said, we were your friends. We can't even congratulate you without your vitriolic jabber and put downs.

Good luck Guild. You guys need it.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:46 am

AnimationGuildElection10a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion