animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Lord have mercy, I need to draw

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

Lord have mercy, I need to draw

Postby Charles » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:55 pm

I suffer through very long periods, too busy to draw or do much of anything creative anymore. I spend so much time managing business affairs, dealing with people and helping others with their artwork that I've neglected my own.

This is about the only drawing I've been able to do in recent weeks. It's from a month ago, a few doodles I came up with while waiting for the first day of my class at Cal State Northridge to start for this current fall semester.

I look forward to the day when I'll be a full time artist again.

CSUNsketchs2010b.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Lord have mercy, I need to draw

Postby Charles » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:30 pm

I just remembered, I did a couple sketches at The Animation Academy about the same time. This was a demo loosely based on a student's design. The top drawing was my first pass. Then I showed her how to enhance appeal by getting rid of parallels and by working large areas against smaller ones.

CSUNsketch3c.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby D Houry » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:42 am

Same here. I realized it while taking a 3D modeling class in college. I spent about 3 weeks lost in sculpting a character digitally and subsequently went into an intense withdrawal period for about 3 days where I drew and painted non-stop everywhere, late into the night. I didn't actually make much good work, but I just needed the feeling of using my hands on physical materials. Then again, come to think of it, that's where the koalas originally came from!

Like we always say at AN, "The art is what keeps us young."
Stay young, Charles! Keep drawing! ;)
D Houry

Postby Charles » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:18 am

Your timing is uncanny David, and your advice well taken. I was just getting ready to post this when you left your comment.

It's a quick sketch I did at CSUN last night on a Cintiq to demonstrate the relationship between color and gray tones. Nothing fancy but it's better than not drawing at all. I'm determined to change this pattern and get back to my own art. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Untitled-52b.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby EAllen » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:22 pm

Your art rejuvenates you, Charles, and it rejuvenates me. As artists, I can't believe that this work doesn't have this particular effect on any artist who see it.

You're a living legend, Charles, no matter what anyone says. Excited to see some original sketches from you again. Hoping they evolve into something greater.
EAllen

Postby Charles » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:42 pm

Things are improving a little. I'm finding a bit more time to create but still in a classroom setting. Drawing for demonstrations is better than no drawing at all.

This is something I did recently at the Academy for students in Character Design I which is our foundation class. A head turn demo in Col-erase blue pencil. This was done as a straight ahead line up from left to right on a single sheet of paper, not on an animation disk.

Clicking on the image will give you a better view.

TBearHeadTurn1a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:34 am

With the encouragement of a good friend and my students, I'm getting around to doing more artwork. I've got a ways to go to connect with things again, but a step at a time will get me back in the groove eventually.

Here's a class demonstration I came up with at Cal State Northridge last Monday. The image on the left is the initial sketch, the one on the right is the clean up. The demonstration was about line clean ups. When I give a drawing a final line, I like to do it first in blue pencil, then follow up with graphite. You might be able to see the darker graphite line towards the left side of the image in the clean drawing. The rest remains in blue. Click on the image for a better view.

CleanUpHead1c.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Last night in class at Cal State Northridge I had some momentum building. My students there are great and they give me the time to relax and do some drawing for them. I drew these 3 doodles from left to right, as a lesson in free form sketching, each one on a sheet of 12 field animation paper with a blue ball point pen, the ink tended to glob at the tip which made it feel like a brush at times.

HeadSketch1b.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:52 pm

It's great to be getting back into a drawing routine. Tonight in my studio I made time to have some fun sketching. Thought I'd give myself an assignment similar to what I'd give my students in Character Design II at the Academy.

I looked to develop a concept involving designing characters based upon the proportions of the human body, two characters in a composition, one male, the other female, interacting in order to create a narrative.

So I chose as my concept "Nike (Victory) Proceeding From Athena".

I started with this for the central figure of Athena.

AthenaNike1b.jpg

A decent start, but I thought I'd rework the character and the pose a little more into this...

AthenaNike2b.jpg

Then I drew my idea of Nike, not as a female in form, but as a male athlete consistent with Athena's olympic torso.

AthenaNike3b.jpg

Then I reduced Nike in size and placed the figure within the composition. Thank you Photoshop.

AthenaNike4b.jpg

Good to be drawing again, I'd like to keep it up.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:47 am

I started with this, a line sketch which I featured earlier in the thread...

HeadSketch1a2.jpg

Then I decided to practice some of my basic skills, so I went to Photoshop with the intention of rendering the image in tone keyed off of the color of the line. I thought to do it in a series of tints, and stopping to save the image every 10 layers.

Here's where it was at 10 levels of tint.

HeadSketch1a3.jpg

This is after 20 layers of tint.

HeadSketch1a4.jpg

And after 30 layers, with an additional layer for the eye highlights.

HeadSketch1a5.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:14 pm

After I finished tinting the image in transparent layers, I did the same thing in color by tinting over the blue through several layers. I also copied the line work to a top level and turned it black in color, then blackened in the background.

HeadSketch1a6.jpg

After struggling to regain some sort of creative momentum, I feel that I'm building it back up again. Thanks to the encouragement of a few friends and also to my students, especially my class at Cal State Northridge.

Thanks very much for stopping by to check out this topic. I'll be doing more in other threads on the Gallery.

As always, Keep Creating!

Daily Z

Charles

Return to A.N. Gallery