animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

DreamWorks, Pixar, Disney colluded in wage fixing

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Re: DreamWorks, Pixar, Disney colluded in wage fixing

Postby Charles » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:17 pm

Wish I didn't have such a cynical attitude but at this moment in space and time I can't help it. I look for something to believe in among the establishment and nothing's there. The US it seems is heading towards a civil war. The corruption in our government, the militarization of the police, the erosion of our freedoms, people are losing their minds, and here we are with yet another man made crisis involving wages in animation.

This past weekend I spoke with a friend who's involved with Disney's live action shows for TV. He knows that this company is creating content for children that is aimed at subverting the American family, he's well aware of it and even though he objects to what they're doing morally, he's still in it for the money.

I look for honesty and sincerity, something pure to believe in and I find it only within the independent endeavors that people are creating. Not in the content of Hollywood establishment, not in the deceptive words of politicians, not in the passive aggressive hostility of the mainstream animation community, but in projects that people outside of the system are creating. Even if they're not at the level of expertise that we would see in the movies and on TV. As long as they're trying and doing their best it gives me hope for humanity.

That's why I feature content on AN's homepage that is almost entirely outside of the box so to speak as well as outside of Hollywood. I'd rather get into and promote the efforts of artists who are trying as opposed to those that have made it and have merged with the borg.

That's why I fully embrace the alternatives that are available to us now through the Internet and crowdfunding and all that entails.

I've been out of the system for many years. Even though I'm not a part of what people would normally consider the industry, I have a nice business in the heart of Burbank where I can create whatever I want. I work towards helping artists and educating people. We have a good time and we're free to immerse ourselves in whatever we fancy. I've been doing it for 16 1/2 years now. We focus each day on the future and we can talk about anything we want without having to worry about executives.

We're focused on positivity and the prospects of a happy life full of art and imaginative, inspirational creations. It's an oasis in the midst of the madness. Shelter from the storm.

The frustrations and disappointments I've had with friends, colleagues and others in the biz fade away. We laugh and rejoice in the moment and we look at stories like this concerning wage fixing and collusion among the studios and use it as a means to further educate ourselves.

We look at the success that artists and creative people in general are having with Kickstarter and Indiegogo and we see a happy future. We watch independent films and videos that others around the world are creating and we feel a kinship towards them. Instead of the work for hire scene we actively engage in developing a mindset whereby we can envision something different for ourselves.

My school has been a lot of hard work to maintain but it's a blessing to all of us. It's done a tremendous amount of good and positively affected the lives of many people for a long time.

When I think in those terms I have joy and I feel invigorated. When I think of the industry and everything it currently represents I don't have the same feeling.

I'll stick with that which gives me happiness and a reason to keep moving forward.

Good luck to everyone and I wish fellow artists success and satisfaction with their lives.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:52 am

Read through the comments. I need to chill a little more. ;)

In light of the situation that this topic describes, would you say the past 10 tears or so things have gotten better or worse or about the same for artists in general?

Animation, comics, etc?

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:48 am

I see lots of new opportunities for artists to connect with the audience. I see more platforms for us. I see more artists sharing ideas. More technology. More ways to create. The ability to connect with other collaborators globally.

But I do see how all that positive stuff brings more of the negative stuff as well. I do see how people still don't want to deal with corruption. I do see how all these options and new ways to connect make people cheap. lol I do see how this sort of news isn't news to anyone so much in fact that they just immediately accept it, not address it and then it gets worse.

But I like to do my best to focus on the first part of this response.
SNAKEBITE

Previous

Return to General Discussion