animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Next AN Night - October 26 '10 with Gary Montalbano

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Next AN Night - October 26 '10 with Gary Montalbano

Postby Charles » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:40 pm

A heads up to all ANers and friends that the next AnimationNation Night will be yet another memorable event as we welcome the one and only Gary Montalbano to the scene.

Gary is one of the industry's foremost visual development artists and production designers. His career spans three decades starting in the 1980s and he's still going strong today.

Check out some of his work.

http://www.garymontalbano.com

Gary's just published his first book, "Memories Within Dreams", a comprehensive presentation of his remarkable art.

http://budsartbooks.com/prod.cfm/pc/MMS/cid/21

He'll be available to discuss this magnum opus of his, face to face, so "book" the evening in advance!

AN Night with Gary Montalbano
Tuesday evening, October 26, 2010
2006 W. Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank CA 91506

Look for the Burbank Association of Realtors Building. Head upstairs to the hall.

Doors open at 7pm. We go until... ???

Pizza and sodas for sale at $5.

We'll also have another round of the AN Night Raffle as this has proved popular.

There's plenty of free parking in the lot and on the spacious streets.

See you there!

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Next AN Night - October 26 '10 with Gary Montalbano

Postby paburrows » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:53 am

Are we going to have a Haloween costume contest?
paburrows

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:46 pm

All three of us ended up being a lot more busy this month at the same time. Usually, one or two of us can pick up the slack when the other is away. But this month it ends up that Adrian, Charles and myself have a very full plate.

If someone here wants to arrange it, spread the word and get people motivated to be apart of it then the space will be provided. I can most likely provide a DJ to give it a little more flare to the event. But I can't do much more.

If anyone is interested then contact me. Email in my signature. And we can work it out.
SNAKEBITE

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:48 pm

and by the way, Gary's Book is amazing! We did very well at our book signing at Petra Gallery. After Richard Chavez, now your getting another round of inspiration to bring home ready to create. He's a monster talent, and a solid person.
SNAKEBITE

Postby EAllen » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:41 pm

I knew Gary's book would go over well. I predict more strong sales for it, and I can't (seriously) wait to get my hands on a copy. Or maybe two.

Nice to know I'm not the only one juggling priorities, but I'm continually wishing I could take a greater role in helping with organizing these festivities.

For the moment, I will have to be satisfied with posting here and being in attendance for AN Nights.
EAllen

Postby Charles » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:10 am

A Halloween costume contest is a great idea. I'm totally open to this and would welcome it.

If you guys would like to show up in costume that'll be a lot of fun.

We can feature both Gary Montalbano and a Halloween Costume Contest.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby skynet » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:31 pm

Full plate? My plate is more like gushing over the edges for a couple months and will continue to do so for a while still. I'm floored in overdrive and someone snapped off the stick shift. Just for clarification (and speaking for myself), especially as far as priorities are concerned, AN has always stayed at the top of my list because that's the nature of the work I do, so I'm still here almost all the time doing or checking on something. I don't have the choice to slow down for that long. Not only that but the list of tasks I have to do seems to double every month.

AN Nights are kind of a different story. Considering my distance from LA, I'm lucky enough to keep showing up as much as I do, but I always plan on being at AN Night. If nothing gets in the way of the 3 hour drive (one way), I'll be there for sure.

For Halloween, I agree with everyone. It's a good idea. Maybe we can have a couple prizes or first, second and third place? Anyone want to donate some prizes to hand out to the winners? I can mention something in the newsletter and we can promote a Halloween party on the AN Night page which is about all I can do either way. We can spread the word here and I'll put something up on the site, but that's it unless someone else has another suggestion. If a few of us plan out the basics it should be pretty simple.

Say you what?
skynet

Postby EAllen » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:04 pm

Once again, Skynet for the brainstorm homerun.

I think donating prizes is a terrific idea--and I already have a few ideas for my contributions to the Prize basket!

Can't wait to see how this whole thing will materialize.
EAllen

Postby skynet » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:13 am

I wasn't implying that I'm the only extremely busy person. I'm sure we all are on some level, especially Charles. My only point was that there is no one to pick up my slack on AN so my work here is pretty much non-stop.

Good job Enoch. If we have prizes, that will give people more incentive to dress up or be more creative with costumes, so let's keep talking about that. Actually, I'm already wearing my costume.

Too bad we couldn't also get some Halloween decorations donated that we could throw up around the Hall to make it more festive. Not sure how that would work.
skynet

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:11 pm

I'm not really busy. I just like to imply I am so I can get out of doing other stuff. :mrgreen:
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:28 am

Coming up in less than a week, the next AN Night in Burbank with author and animation production designer par excellence Gary Montalbano.

The event is free and open to everyone. Stop by and have a good time with friends and colleagues and get a healthy dose of creative inspiration from Gary and company.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby paburrows » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:49 pm

Bump!
paburrows

Postby SNAKEBITE » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:40 pm

See ya there!
SNAKEBITE

Postby paburrows » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:58 am

Hey also I wanted to give you heads up Charles and Snakebite. Saturday night I went to a meeting of the Graphic Artists Guild and meet some really cool people who are trying to get LA chapter meetings going. I invited them to tonights meeting, if they come I'll introduce them to you, maybe we could get some kind of cross promotion going between the two organizations.
paburrows

Postby Charles » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm all for it Paul. Anything we can do to assist the Graphic Artists Guild in any way.

AN Nights are a lot of fun and have become very popular. I always look forward to them, they're a good time and everyone grows from the experience. This evening with Gary will be an exceptional one. It's one thing to see the work of a great artist in animation, and it's a whole nuther level when they self-publish a beautiful comprehensive book of their art in both hardcover and softcover. And when the artist/author shares info about it so others can do the same, it makes everything even better.

2006 W. Magnolia in Burbank 91506.

Doors open at 7, Gary will be on at around 7:45 to 8, pizzas will be there around 8:30 to 9 pm.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:03 am

Another great AN Night. Man, what a run we've been having. Gary was a fantastic guest. We had another big crowd, with more industry veterans showing up than usual. There was a rep from Women In Animation there also. She commented to me about the size of the crowd we had. It surprises people when they see how many folks we have in attendance at any given AN Night.

Next one will be November 30. We don't know who our special guest will be at this time but as soon as we line em up we'll let you know.

Many thanks to Gary Montalbano for joining us and to everyone who attended. I'm glad you all had a good time. Hope to see you again next month.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby paburrows » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:23 am

Yes at was an awesome night and thanks Charles and everyone else for the kind words about my trading card holder.

The girl that was at my table was on of the Reps for the Graphic Artists Guild and a teacher at Art Center. She said that she enjoyed the vibe last night and will probably keep coming to the guest speaker nights. I'll try to get more to come for the next one and I'll let you all know when she lets me know about their meetings.
paburrows

Postby Davelyman » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:54 am

Yes, that was a good interview. I especially liked the Spin Zone/Tonka/US Senate Hearings story, good stuff! And that trading card holder was pretty rad too.

Davelyman
Davelyman

Postby EAllen » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:10 pm

Happy to read things went off without a hitch!

Sorry I couldn't make it, for reasons that--for the first time--have nothing to do with the health of my parents!

As a result of the tremendous demands my personal project has placed on my energy level, I just wasn't up to making the trip (like I usually am), but the trade-off is that I will ultimately be able to clue a few of you in on just what has been taking up so much of my time lately.

I'm excited for that. Thanks Charles for understanding!

See you soon, Bite! Hang tight Skynet!
EAllen

Return to General Discussion