animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Snakebite Survival Guide: in the spirit of AN

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Snakebite Survival Guide: in the spirit of AN

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:41 pm

Hey everyone! this is a short video that is the herald to a series of videos I am calling Snakebite Survival Guide. I'm scripting out the real series but something in the news recently about DC comics changing payment policies inspired me to produce this commentary on the quick tip. My new series will explore more of this ideas in an informal yet informative conversation style format. I'm excited to be finally doing something with Snakebite Survival Guide since it's conception back in 2002 during my time as a student and teacher at http://www.theanimationacademy.com where a lot of influential animation artists got their influence.

So please look at this is an on going conversation and some insight that might not be the popular stance in general, but specifically it works for successful people. I hope this inspires you to keep it moving and keep creating as well as keep talking and sharing.

SNAKEBITE

Re: Snakebite Survival Guide: in the spirit of AN

Postby Charles » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:12 pm

This is the best one yet of all the videos I've seen from you brother.

Great job!

Listened to parts of it twice to pick up on all you were saying.

So DC is gonna start cuttin in colorists for royalties and credits?

You were talking about that years ago man! Early in your career. You were labeled an "idealist" by your own colleagues and ridiculed for pushing the idea of equity participation for comic book artists.

It took a generation for them to catch up with you!

I think Kickstarter is affecting the mainstream comix biz. So many artists are going that route to build their franchise that the mainstream companies are becoming an afterthought for new characters stories and concepts.

There are currently 128 active comic book campaigns on Kickstarter. How many projects does DC or Marvel have in development compared to Kickstarter?

This is a manifestation of the New Golden Age we're in. Creator driven and much more creator controlled.

Looking forward to the next one! Keep me coming bro! 8-)

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:44 pm

Much appreciated! fires me up!! I'm gonna try to do one video like this every two weeks. It was basically one take and I cuz the pauses and extra stuff that wasn't needed. But I can bust this out relatively quick.

Hopefully the more outlined videos will be more effective.

But you're right. Our community is evolving big time and I'm really feeling all the inspiration. DC and Marvel are really going to have to up their game if they want competitive artists to stay on board. I hope they feel it, big time...and soon. They deserve to sweat a little. I'm sure there will always be people who want to draw their properties, but the artists pushing boundries will be found on the front lines. Killin it!
SNAKEBITE

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:59 pm

Here's the article
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=53649

Like I said in my video, I'm glad it's happening, but with 20-30 year old page rates, and work for hire attitudes I fear people are missing the bigger picture...Art Builds Empires.....
SNAKEBITE

Return to General Discussion