animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Animation distribution

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Animation distribution

Postby domeniconi » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:57 am

Hi,

I'm a great admirer of animation techniques for a long time, I’m starting to study e to know more deeply about animation market. I’m a programmer and I’m working on a project to create a platform to commercialize amateurs and professional animation films to help animation artists/producers finance their jobs, that’s why I want to know your opinion about this subject.

Anyone knows any distribution channel of animation videos which generate revenue to the authors by on demand sales? I know that many of animation videos are published in websites like Vimeo, YouTube, and etc. However, this kind of websites don’t allow sales of the videos, only generate revenue to the authors showing advertising on the video. I don’t know if this kind of revenue (only advertising), is appropriate and enough to enable and maintain the production of short-films and animation series by amateur or professionals artists/studios. For example, if a group of animators/artists want to create and produce an animation short-film or even an amateur animation serie to sell to the public as a product, what channel is the most appropriate?

Thank you
domeniconi

Re: Animation distribution

Postby Charles » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:49 am

Hello there domeniconi.

Offhand, I don't know of any animation video distributors that would fit the model of what you're looking for other than those that are online such as Cartoon Hangover, Shut Up Cartoons, Mondo Media, etc. There's an operation called Animation Show of Shows that gets a collection of videos out each year.

If none of these are suitable for what you have in mind my suggestion would be to find a method by which you could do it yourself. Maybe by distributing your video through iTunes or something like.

Or...

You can always distribute the video as part of a Kickstarter campaign.

I'd say the best thing to do is to find a way to offer your video through your own outlet, the money comes directly to you, while finding ways of promoting its availability to as wide an audience as you can.

Hope this helps in some way. Good luck!

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion