animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Next AN Night - September 28, 2010 with Richard Chavez

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Next AN Night - September 28, 2010 with Richard Chavez

Postby Charles » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:06 pm

I'm very happy to announce that my good friend Richard Chavez will be our very special guest at the next AnimationNation Night in Burbank on September 28.

Richard is a truly remarkable "A" list talent in animation. His career spans from the early 1980s when he was with Hallmark Cards to the mid 80s when he was designing some of the most memorable cartoons that DIC ever produced, to Disney features, to being one of the original founding artists of DreamWorks Feature Animation to Visual Development Supervisor at Sony features and is currently developing story for new independent projects on the way.

Richard Chavez does not make appearances, ladies and gents. This is a very rare opportunity to meet one of the greatest artists working in animation today.

Please note that no video of this part of the event will be permitted.

We're also working on having reps from the Global Artist Agency on hand to explain more about what they do as far representing through the first online talent agency. Once we have a firm commitment we'll let you know.

AN NIGHT - September 28, 2010
2006 W. Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91506

Look for the Burbank Association of Realtors building. Head on upstairs to the hall.

Doors open at 7 pm.

Free parking in the lot and on the spacious streets.

Pizza and sodas will be served for $5.

This is going to be another very significant AN Night. Mark your calendars and we hope to see you there.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Next AN Night - September 28, 2010 with Richard Chavez

Postby EAllen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:08 pm

I have to remember not to point my laptop's webcam at Mr. Chavez . . .

I usually don't make it a point to bring any type of cameras to AN night, unless it's a really special occasion and the subject is willing to be photographed.

That said, I'm really looking forward to this!
EAllen

Postby Charles » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:25 pm

One of the leading visual development and production designers in the modern animation industry will be our guest at AN Night a week from today.

Mulan, Prince of Egypt, Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron, Sinbad Legend of the Seven Seas, Open Season, Surf's Up, Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs... not to mention all the projects he worked on in TV prior to feature films

Don't miss this chance to meet and interact with Richard Chavez.

AN NIGHT - September 28, 2010
2006 W. Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91506

Look for the Burbank Association of Realtors building. Head on upstairs to the hall.

Doors open at 7 pm.

Free parking in the lot and on the spacious streets.

The event is free. Pizza and sodas will be served for $5.

Bring your friends.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby EAllen » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:42 pm

Looking forward to it!
EAllen

Postby Charles » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:53 pm

Tonight's the night. Stop by and be inspired by this great artist.

AN NIGHT with Richard Chavez - September 28, 2010
2006 W. Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91506

Doors open at 7 pm.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:36 am

Chavez is brilliant.

Great AN Night, everyone had a blast.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby EAllen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:50 pm

I sure as hell enjoyed myself.

Thanks, Bite, for entertaining us and serving food and being true to your spirit! See 'ya soon at Petra!

Thanks Charles, again, for making me more intelligent!

Thanks to Mr. Chavez for sharing his valuable experiences with us. Always refreshing to have candor come from animation professionals!

It's always nice to see Gary Montalbano, who continues to prove that he is one of the finest artists in animation history. I look forward to buying more of his work, and starting my Montalbano collection ASAP. It's still an important goal of mine to ultimately write a book about the production of some of the 80s and 90s DiC animated shows, and hope to start with getting stories from Gary Montalbano and Rich Chavez and Alex Stevens, and Alan Simmons and Steve Worth. Some extraordinarily funny stories to be told there.

Tremendous to see Paul Burrows, Glen, Noah Amrani, Carolyn and Arlene, Nick, Anthony, and I once again left a crapton of people out of this--pleeeeeze guys--oh, oh, Khris (Kat) and Julie--don't shoot me for it, next time you see me!

See all you guys next AN night!
EAllen

Postby EAllen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:18 pm

Skynet we barely squeaked by this night without you!

Pullllllleeeeeeazzzze come back to the next one! We know you're getting your learnin' on, so congratulations for that, but don't stay away for too long!
EAllen

Postby SNAKEBITE » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:32 pm

WORD, aint the same without skynet..but then again, it aint the same without any of you..because whats the same? The same is changing, evolving, growing. Without one of us we are not the same...it just didn't help that Adrian is such a huge part, it just didn't seem right.

You're welcome Enoch. I have to say I really enjoy serving the food. You get to see everyone and be apart in filling their bellies for the moment. Who wouldn't want to do it? its fun.

Richard blew our minds...He is an amazing person and designer. He loves his medium and the community. We were all humbled.

Seems to be the consistent theme with who are able to find in the business to be our guests. Every month it just remains high quality.

thanks for being apart of the journey!
SNAKEBITE

Postby skynet » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:03 pm

Thanks guys... and I am not the same without it, but am I also not the same with or without the same itself? To be the same or not to be the same is the question. What's the same to me? The same is nothing or everything or whatever each person thinks it is at any given time. The same is another piece of that dust that's continuously being blown apart by the unseen galactic winds... and it's the same with the different, if you're still following me. Then here we are living another "day" in "time" in our microscopic protective bubble of atmosphere, out in the middle of who knows where doing all kinds of odd "important" things that only occupy our funny little minds and world. What is the point? There is no point except for the one that is yours to decide.

BTW, I'm not smoking anything. I'm just an abstraction by nature. We all are, but I admit this every day because it's hard for me to escape the questions that seem to be ignored by most. I find it hard to join all the others around me that live in a pretend land of the lost without acknowledging my ignorance of what or who I am, or asking how and why I am here, and it is impossible to accept what authorities tell me and what I read as fact because the information appears to be coming from sources I cannot rely on.... so what does one do in this situation? Now there's an interesting topic.

Anyway, I was planning on being at AN Night this time and I regret missing all the greatness that it encompassed and people it entertained. Occasionally driving about 3 hours to get to AN Night can be complicated for me so it's already amazing that I've made it there almost every time since the beginning. I think I am the only person that drives that far regularly. But as others have said, it is all the people that go to AN Night that make AN Night great. It doesn't matter who's there. Even if I showed up and there were only 10 people I'm sure we'd have the same kind of night as we always do. It's never the number of people, but the quality of people.... AN Night seems to always be high on quality no matter what the quantity may be.

I'll be looking forward to the next one.
skynet

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:07 pm

You do have impeccable commitment to the Nation. Word to you, brutha Cosmonauticshamanisticoptimistic!
SNAKEBITE

Postby EAllen » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:27 pm

I second that, Bite.

I gotta say (it would have been said much sooner if I hadn't broke my screen & needed to get my external monitor), I always took it for granted that Skynet was at AN Night, not registering (knowing but not registering) exactly what it took for him to be there.

It would be arrogant of me to claim to understand all of a sudden Skynet's obstacles to attending AN Nights, but let me say I am less oblivious to them. With that, I encourage Skynet to take it a bit easier. And be healthier!
EAllen

Return to General Discussion