animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Part of DC Comics moving to Burbank

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Part of DC Comics moving to Burbank

Postby paburrows » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:49 am

Superman And Batman Go West
DC Comics packs (some of) its bags.
September 21, 2010
by Richard George There are some things in the comic book industry that seem certain - that will be true no matter what else happens. There will always be Superman comics. There will always be Spider-Man comics. And there will always be two publishers - DC and Marvel - in New York City. But an announcement today has partially changed one of those truisms - DC Comics is moving to the West Coast... Some of it, at any rate.

http://comics.ign.com/articles/112/1122414p1.html
The publisher is moving a significant portion of its staff to Burbank, California (home of Warner Bros. Entertainment) while keeping its core comics publishing unit in New York. From an announcement released this morning, DC will "relocate its business functions related to and supporting multi-media and digital content production." That is later clarified to encompass all of DC Entertainment's work in film, television, videogames, digital media, consumer products as well as administrative functions. The move is expected to be completed by the end of 2011.

"These organizational changes reinforce the strengths of DC's greatest legacies – most importantly its people and its creative talent – and offer greater opportunity for maximum growth, success and efficiency in the future," said Diane Nelson, President of DC Entertainment (DCE). "Our two offices will stretch and build their respective areas of focus, while prioritizing and aggressively striving to connect and cooperate more strongly than ever before between them and with their colleagues at Warner Bros."

To be honest, for those of us in the industry, this isn't that big of a surprise. Rumors of a DC move have been circulating almost since the formation of the DCE entity over a year ago. With Nelson, DCE Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns, DC Comics Co-Publisher Jim Lee and DCE Executive VP of Sales, Marketing and Business Development John Rood all based in California, some shift did seem likely.

What we won't know immediately is what kind of effect this will have on DCE's staff. While many will make the move to Los Angeles, no doubt others will not. We also don't know if the company plans to assist its employees with movement expenses or expanded resignation packages. In some senses, this story is just beginning, and the company may be in a significant state of change until the transition is complete.

With the dust finally settled, it seems as though DC Entertainment is poised to shift into a higher gear. Warner Bros CEO Barry Meyer has indicated that Warner intends to engage with DCE in a more proactive manner, leaving behind the more passive tone that has characterized much of the relationship between the two companies for a very long time. It seems as though Marvel's Hollywood success - and its purchase by Disney - has really prompted a response. It should be very interesting to see what DCE looks like by the end of 2011.
paburrows

Re: Part of DC Comics moving to Burbank

Postby Charles » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:10 pm

Burbank's a great community. If there's any drawback to the town, that would be it borders LA.

There's always been a singificant comic artist presence out here. When I first started working in animation I was surprised how many comic book artists were working in the biz. It's only natural that DC has a presence here.

In 1980 while on a business trip on behalf of Hallmark Cards, I visited Marvel's studio in Sherman Oaks. That's where I met Stan Lee. He autographed a whole seriesof his books for me as a gift. Marvel's been here a long time. Makes sense for DC too. What took them so long.

Also, Hasbro is in Burbank. They're at the same complex as Starz Media/Film Roman/The Simpsons.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:32 am

Thats what we need. More companies that treat their artists like crap moving to LA. lol

had to say it. Kinda was open considering DC. hahahaha
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:21 pm

No worries bro!

Artists can always stand up for themselves and fight for their right to be treated nicely and with gentleness and kind words. Especially in Burbank.

AnimationUnionAd1.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:49 pm

Are you sick and tired of being abused by your non union employer? Well, bully them into going Union so you can experience abuse from a Union shop...only difference, is now you're paying dues!

Save your career!!!!

hahaha, no, thats not fear based propaganda. my bad. hahahaha

It's your future!!
(disclaimer: art and rhetoric used from the past)
SNAKEBITE

Postby EAllen » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:31 pm

Ah, man, guys! :lol: Just when I was making some headway on Guild/AN relations . . .
EAllen

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:52 pm

Well, all kidding aside,but if thats what you're doing I'm kinda bummed you're investing any of your time into such things.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:41 pm

It's funny, cuz when the Guild puts down AN or others it's freedom of speech. But when freedom of speech is exercised here they take offense and take off the link to AN from their blog. Snakebite has the same right to express himself as anyone else does, even more when it comes to the Guild since he's not trolling.

And I find this humorous as well, that when I post the Guild's ad that used to run in Animation Magazine for years and years, it's as if it's an embarrassment to them.

As long as we keep in mind that the Guild is a benefits management group, it makes sense. And if DC artists in Burbank are looking for a good benefits package that's offered for studio work in the industry, it makes sense for them to sign up. Other than that, the guild ain't gonna make too much of a difference.

So take their advice and fight for your rights. However that fight takes shape. Even if it's a fight with the Guild itself.

EAllen, thanks for your behind the scene diplomatic efforts but I fear you may be wasting your time. I don't know how far you'll get with these guys but I commend you for trying.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:38 pm

If anyone has a problem they know who I am, where to find me and what I'm about. I'm transparent in my intent. Not only am I not a troll but I've worked in Animation for 15 years. Some, like union reps, would use rhetoric and innuendo to make it sound like i have no credibility because my resume doesn't have union jobs listed, or use innuendo to make it sound like I don't want to pay my way being the reason behind not working for Union houses...but I see no reason to pay the Union to work. If I want their benefits, sure. I should pay. But to get the job initially??? nope. thats a shake down. A scam. I am expected to pay federal taxes, state and city, plus self employment tax and business tax..and then I have to pay to work..sure benefits are better but I'm still paying for that a well. They try to make it sound romantic. PAY YOUR DUES! Like it's a noble thing. But it's more fear being pushed. I don't even think they know its fear anymore. I believe they think its normal to make people pay in order to work...but hey, Bite, the have payment plans. I bet they do. They make it easy for you to pay...whatever the fuk that means. Easy to pay. What the hell is wrong with people. Keep lowering that bar.

I've worked for DC, they treat their artists like crap...with a smile..and most the sheep who work for them will protect their abuser, like an abused wife.

So yeah, go work for DC and the big companies. Keep their intellectual properties alive so they make billions off them. Collect your pay check and tell me shut the hell up. What do I know anyways. The union and Obama will protect you.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:17 pm

I defer to Snakebite in regards to how DC treats their artists as he has the experience. Although I understand where he's coming from concerning the guild and union jobs, my feelings are that if it works for you, if your goals are to work the studio system in Los Angeles County and give it as many years as you can, then I think what the guild has to offer is in the best interests of the individual for as long as they're able to stay within the studio employment system. My disappointment is rooted in other areas.

Artists have the power to change things if they unify and exert their power.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:32 pm

The irony to me is that unity will happen outside of a Union.

Also, in regards to DC. I like how they are leaving the publishing (print) in NY while focusing on digital publishing here...that means more animation people will have potential work..if they can stomach comic book rates.
SNAKEBITE

Postby EAllen » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:27 pm

Bite, if MLK had the same attitude--"it won't work"--we'd all still get a stick up our ass every week.

Bite, I have to give it a try. I'm not spending much time on it. The majority of my time is still going towards building up my brand. My website will be up soon. My book will be out soon. Reason why all this stuff didn't get done sooner has to do with me tending to my folks back home for a while when they needed me. If that had never happened, some of my biggest goals would be recognized by now--and there'd be no questions.

A couple hours here and there for a shot at better relations with the Guild? Heh, why not. You guys approved SteveK's account here (anyone wanting to post here needs skynet/Charles's approval before they can go ahead) so it was really that event that brought things to another level.

New beginnings. We are blind until we learn how to see.
EAllen

Postby EAllen » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:30 pm

DC Comics = a push into digital publishing = more work for animation professionals on top of other opportunities other independent companies are presenting. Who's losing in this situation?

Sounds like a FTW, once again, for pros who need the work!
EAllen

Postby SNAKEBITE » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:13 pm

Brutha Enoch, please do not take my position on anything as me trying to get you to do anything. You can try all you want...but remember what Yoda said about try.

Yes, more work, more opportunities..AND Lower standards with the added, you're lucky to have anything in this economy, attitude.

I see rates coming down big time for the a large amount of work with these digital comics. I'm sure people will say I'm wrong, but I'll let the rates prove that. From what I hear so far, its a lot of work for limited pay.

Might as well move to LA and take advantage of all the hot talent looking for work! WIN WIN!

Have courage my friends.
SNAKEBITE

Postby EAllen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:10 pm

Ah yes, Mister Bite.

Do or do not. There is no try.

To that, I must respond: All you can do is try. And hope to succeed.
EAllen

Postby Greg B » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:03 pm

I just had a phone chat with pal Doug Moench. Doug has written a massive amount of comics for both DC and Marvel including Batman and Moon Knight which he created.

Doug was wondering about the power of the internet and the digital era and I had to quote him some marketing trends.

Back in the '90s when I told comics people I worked with that the web would be the arena for greater expansion, I was laughed at, told the internet was a "trend" and of course, mainstream comics caught onto the web late.

Nowadays, the potential and reality of getting one's works spread to tens of millions is the marketing monster. Blogging and social networking allows artists to get the word out like never before. Facebook alone can make you a millionaire if used strategically. I had no idea how powerful Facebook and Twitter have become. Just one link, quote, can be duplicated exponentially to millions in a matter of hours.

So this is where comics and good cartoonists come in. There are 100s of millions of people on the web and they're all searching for something or other. A website, a blog, needs to be unique to not only grab the audience, but retain that audience, convert that audience into customers to generate income and residual,passive income.

In other words, content is king like never before.

Contracts with digital rights are growing. The sky's the limit with the right companies. DC, Marvel have such a monstrous reach throughout the world now that an artist worth their salt can get their name blasted on millions of blogs and websites easily. It's converting that attention and traffic into more attention, traffic, and income that is the challenge.

I've said it before, you don't need a million people to be wealthy, you can get that core 1,000-10,000 fans who will loyally buy your products monthly and you'll do just fine.

I've been studying new marketing and online income sources the past month and I'm literally blown over. Was missing many great opportunities.

So the brick and mortar is cool, but the digital is just beyond comprehension. It behooves the artist of today to get their best work out there with solid companies like DC and Marvel, but also the artist must learn marketing on the web. It will give the artist more control over their career, not be dependent on others and produce at one's own pace with the quality needed.

With 7 billion people on Earth and several billion on the web, you damn sure ain't gonna run out of customers.

I'm still hoping one day AN will have it's own line of online comics. I'm quite sure it would be able to make quite an impact.
Greg B

Return to General Discussion