animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Why Disney Is Unbeatable

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Why Disney Is Unbeatable

Postby Greg B » Thu May 23, 2013 11:42 pm

It's simple. They have the team.

Marvel primarily. The money that the Avengers and Iron Man 3 have brought in have changed the face of entertainiment, stocks and bonds, and the way business is made.

These Marvel movies aren't even the tip of the iceberg regarding their content value and already sequels are bringing in over a billion dollars at the box office??? Those are numbers Hollywood can't comprehend when they've done all they can to thwart Marvel from gaining ground. As long as the suits don't foul up the stories and costumes Marvel will continue to rule and that means jobs, jobs, jobs. They have over 75 years worth of fans and content. It would take over 200 years just to produce the first 70 Spider-Man stories.

The sheer power of Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, John Buscema's design and storytelling will take some years for the special effects wizards to catch up to.

This comes from cartooning boys and girls. Wild concepts from writers like Stan Lee and his bullpen turned into books and now film and video games and who knows what else.

Disney will soon be building Marvel Land instead of Disney Lands and I for one can't wait for the Dr. Doom ride. This is going to be exciting to watch unfold. All of us who worked in comics the past 50 years are seeing things come about only a few believed possible. How will it turn out for the artists and writers who brought these characters to life? Only time will tell. Some will make fortunes and others will collapse. No one's talking about royalty checks etc. so that means they're getting something healthy or they'd be bitching and complaining.

Anyway, Marvel will be with Disney to stay and Disney would be wise not to crank out other animated crap and let Marvel bring in the bacon the next decade at least. Save that money for a rainy day to build up the real live talent and sharpen up those theme park building skills.

You're gonna need em'.
Greg B

Re: Why Disney Is Unbeatable

Postby JaredL » Fri May 24, 2013 4:08 am

How frustrating must it be to be one of Warner Bros.' top executives, about now? To see Disney making insane amounts of money off of their comic characters, but not understanding WHY?

In the time it's taken WB to take another chance with Superman, Disney managed to build up to and deliver The Avengers... a film everyone expected to fail tremendously, but instead broke box office records. You could practically see WB panic, when they hastily announced a Justice League film afterwards. Even moreso later, when word got out they were having script problems.

Now Disney has The Guardians of the Galaxy in production... a c-list team most people haven't heard of, that features a trigger-happy raccoon and a talking tree. Meanwhile WB can't find or trust the right teams to make characters like Wonder Woman or The Flash work. I half-expect Disney to announce a Namor film at some point, just to really screw with WB.
JaredL

Postby Greg B » Fri May 24, 2013 7:43 am

JaredL, even though Disney has Marvel it means they have to cater to us "True Believers", us comics fans who way back in the 60s had to support Marvel. Every month or week we had to send in letters or buy memberships etc. We had to fight to keep Marvel and Star Trek.

Marvel's got so much material that they will never run out and are making new stuff everyday. A Submariner movie would be awesome. Namor plays a major role in the Marvel pantheon. That's a franchise right there. Fantastic Four took a downturn due to the Incredibles and the FF's two movie shots that just didn't fit what the comic was about. Choosing not to show Galactus during the Silver Surfer saga was just plain absurd. Keeping the Watcher out too. Also too much comedy. Don't futz with the main stories or characters.

Punisher suffered from lack of leadership. There's always some decision during a Punisher movie that F's it up.

The Hulk? Each Hulk movie made the same money. Why? Because the story got messed with. It only attracted the curious not the True Believers. Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno are a hard act to follow. Ang Lee is a great director but the Hulk is about the hidden rage inside us and the military industrial complex.

Remember, these Marvel characters were born during WWII and the Cold War.

WB is going to suffer if they don't stop futzing with the original stories of their superheroes. Christopher Reeve and Linda Carter are tough acts to follow. We need a new Wonder Woman and Superman Franchise. Not a Justice League. JL looks too absurd. It would look like the Super Friends. Add to that the DC Comics costumes look too doofish. They disenfranchised their fans by making some Golden Age heroes gay just to appease some marketing exec instead of just making new characters who are gay.

DC should just stick to Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and a few other super heroes. We'll see how they do after this new Superman movie comes out. I'm so sick of the "look into the tormented lives of Clark Kent/Superman" that I just don't watch or read the stuff anymore. Same with Batman. Instead of high flying adventure we constantly get these miserable psychological looks into the character.

Gimme a break already.
Greg B

Postby JaredL » Fri May 24, 2013 10:36 am

WB at least took a chance with Green Lantern, though they fumbled the ball. They went too big too fast, and worse, they did it in the wrong direction. We saw Hal train for what, 5 minutes? If that? Then he goes back to Earth and defeats a fear-demon cloud thing?

They should've kept him in space, as the rookie to Sinestro's veteran. Build up their friendship so that Sinestro's fall from grace has some impact. After an hour of so of buddy-cops in space, then Sinestro could become the film's villain, after Hal finds out how he'd been abusing his power, like in the comics. This could've been smaller but grander at the same time, more personal, and there'd be a tried-and-true lesson on power corrupting.

...instead, they gave us a guy with a huge head, and a giant octopus cloud. And now with Man of Steel, it looks like they're jumping the gun again and giving us General Zod and a Kryptonian invasion...
JaredL

Postby Greg B » Fri May 24, 2013 5:59 pm

WB disenfranchised people from Green Lantern that should have been their outer space epic core along with Superman.

WB futzed with the basic story AGAIN and took away the primary moral which is courage will lead you to leadership on levels beyond your imagination. Then someone at WB focused more on Ryan Reynold's looks and gave him this skin tight Green Lantern costume that was awful.

The movie had a great cast, awesome special effects but again too many cooks spoiled the broth.

With Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman, WB should have a solid superheor lineup like no other but if they F-up this Superman franchise all they'll have to battle with is Batman and even the caped crusader can't go head up against thousands of Marvel characters who can play off of each other with guest appearances and crossovers. Imagine Iron Man vs The Submariner guest starring the X Men. It's over with. Fuggeddaboudit.
Greg B

Postby JaredL » Sat May 25, 2013 3:45 am

I'd say Green Lantern was just another part of WB's pattern of creative blunders. I don't know when it started, but I first noticed the pattern in the 90s, when they jumped on the animation bandwagon. They tried to copy the Disney formula, but they got it wrong. Iron Giant comes along, and they didn't know how to market it properly. Nearly everything they've put the Looney Tunes in over the past 20+ years. Allowing Joel Schumacher to run Batman into the dirt. Making Superman Returns a sequel to Richard Donner's films, 20 years too late. All of the other Superman reboots that thankfully never got made...

I want Man of Steel to be awesome, because I want to see more DC heroes on screen... But even if they get this film perfect, Warners will screw things up eventually. They'll try to analyze and quantify what makes a superhero film successful, and they'll draw the wrong conclusions. They may throw in the towel after one or two expensive flops, but still won't have learned where or why they screwed up. Meanwhile Disney will keep laughing their way to the bank.
JaredL

Postby Miracle » Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 am

Marvel is certainly the biggest property that Disney has right now, and it has the stories and characters to fuel movies, attractions, and shows for decades to come. I was as excited as anyone to see the Avengers on opening weekend, and I will do likewise for Man Of Steel.
Disney's heritage however was bourne of them creating the 2D animated fairy-tale-style films. Are Super hero films "better" than 2D classics..maybe yes, some may say no, but that is entirely besides the bigger point.
Are comedies better than dramas? I would think Disney, more than anyone, is big enough to have teams of artists working on many different types of entertainments all at the same time.
When I read this topic's heading "Why Disney Is Unbeatable" I thought this same headline could have been written in 1989 when the Little Mermaid came onto the scene spurring on and continuing the cornerstone of Disney, it's history and heritage in hand drawn animation.
Super hero movies, like any other class of movie only needs a few clunkers or over-saturation of the latest Super hero movie of the week, to fall. All it took was a few Pocahontas's, Bother Bear's, and Home On The Range's, to bring the 2D animation craze to it's downfall. Great screenplays and great directors have created the current popularity in the superhero genre. Bring great screenplays and great direction to 2D(or any genre of movie) and the World will beat a path to that movie line as well.
Why is Disney unbeatable? They are beatable if they count on only one type of entertainment to fuel their fires.
Blessings,
Tom Hignite
Blessings,
Tom
Miracle

Postby Greg B » Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm

Hey Tom,

At this point Disney would have to screw up on such a level that it would be monumental at minimum.

With PIXAR, LucasFilm, and Marvel, Disney has a power block like no other.

Could you imagine a Star Wars/Marvel crossover movie? You know they're going to do it. Marvel/PIXAR crossover where Galactus chooses Mater as his new herald and only Buzz Lightyear can stop them.

It's over with. The unions that invest in Disney stock now rule. Disney is a stock that everyone has to have in their portfolio which is why the Disney/Marvel acquisition didn't hit any speedbumps. Will it add to the job market? Yes. Marvel saved Disney TWICE in one year. Just wait for the Marvel theme parks.

Marvel is making money and creating jobs. Nuff said.
Greg B

Postby JDC » Wed May 29, 2013 11:10 pm

Honestly, I'm already tired of Super Hero Movies.. Granted, I want to see the next Superman movie, but I never bothered with the last Batman movie or The Avengers and I hear Avengers was pretty good.
JDC

Postby Greg B » Thu May 30, 2013 8:39 am

JDC, superhero movies aren't going anywhere soon. They never really got their due because of fear and prejudice from actors and studios that didn't understand them. Studios tried to cheap shot the genre but found out that you can't do that with a product with a fanbase this strong.

Batman and Superman are almost half as old as the U.S.. They're part of our legacy, lexicons, mythos. Now that special effects can almost do what the comics artists did you'll see more amazing wizardry. In three years, the top ten movies will be superhero-sci-fi based.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Fri May 31, 2013 12:12 am

Great topic! Enjoyed reading everyone's take. Learned from this.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby JDC » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:52 am

If I were to make a comic book movie.. I think I would do Vampirella in a Grindhouse style. I would probably find subtle ways to stick it to the Twilight fans too. Really for me.. I don't really care about the name of the studio on the movie.. I would rather be into the story.. because even bad acting and bad effects work can be forgiven if the story is well told.
JDC

Postby Greg B » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:32 pm

Here comes the new Superman movie and it is looking good. Storyline follows the Phantom Zone criminals from Krypton coming after Superman. If the story and special effects keep up we may see a monster of a blockbuster movie.

Right now Iron Man 3 will have to stay in theaters for 6 weeks or more to break into the top ten domestic films but this new Superman movie will either rise to the top or fall to mediocrity. DC Comics rules with the Batman series but needs more muscle to match Marvel. Marvel's still got Wolverine, Thor, Captain America and X Men sequels working plus thousands and thousands of other characters.

Add all that to the fact Disney has the Star Wars franchise and it's all over.
Greg B

Return to General Discussion