animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

How do you define success in animation?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

How do you define success in animation?

Postby Charles » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:40 pm

Just wondering what some of you think about this subject.

What does success in animation mean to you?

Is it working in a studio cubicle all day? Is it job security? Not really caring what you do as long as you can provide for your family?

Is it in establishing yourself as an independent in some way and developing a supportive fan base?

It is in artistic accomplishment not necessarily associated with an employment situation?

Is it measured in personal popularity?

All of the above? None of the above? Some of the above?

I'm really interested in how you see what success in animation means, how you define it.

Please feel free to contribute your perspectives on the topic.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: How do you define success in animation?

Postby marius » Wed May 01, 2013 1:57 am

I suppose the best way to define success in animation, is to first define success. I'm gonna go with the first definition for the word on dictionary dot com "1.
the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors; the accomplishment of one's goals."
So basically, success is achieved in accomplishing one's goals. As such, all answers are subjective, and nobody can possibly be wrong...

For me, I plan on forever growing, as I feel I have very much to learn. So I plan my life, around animation. To me, when I can create enough wealth to fairly fuel myself and a fair crew for the project, while leaving the client appreciative of their value, maintain integrity to myself, the client, and the audience, achieve all the time deadlines, AND maintain a satisfactory (to me) level of quality, I'll feel I hit my first plateau and feel my first plateau success in animation. At that point, I look forward to level two of my animation life plans.
be.lovely.
marius

Postby marius » Wed May 01, 2013 2:34 am

Success as an independent artist, to me is a different thing. That is the creator role. That involves a lot of responsibility. Basic daily journey goals would be: work on my vision consistently, share my work as fairly and honestly as I can, and honor my commitments to those who empower me in expressing myself. Doing those daily equals success.
After enough time has passed, and once my vision was solidified to my honest best abilities, and my base strong enough, I'd ask the base to support solidifying my vision to completion. If they were not strong enough, I'd spend more time on my vision, or start all over. If they were strong enough to fuel completion, I'd use that energy to fulfill my animation level one goals of creating a fair, honest, equal energy transaction for myself and all those involved in a professional and timely manner, to the best of my abilities honoring both the client AND the audience in doing so.
be.lovely.
marius

Postby JaredL » Wed May 01, 2013 5:43 am

I think one form of success is simply being able to point at something people will see, and say "I made that". And if it's your own IP, even better.

Being able to work on your own terms is another. I knew a guy who left his studio job several years ago, because he was earning more on the side (and having more fun) from drawing pinup commissions and selling sketchbooks. He's been working freelance and doing commissions ever since.

Earning a high salary is nice, but too many employers seem to think that the more they pay you*, the more they OWN you. Like once your paycheck is over a certain amount, they expect you to live at your desk, jump when told to, play fetch, and surrender all rights to every stray thought in your skull.
* or worse, regardless of what they're paying you.
JaredL

Postby rvasquez » Thu May 02, 2013 11:28 am

It all depends on the person and what situation they're in.

For me, I'm 30 with a family. Being able to provide for them and not have to live from check to check is the ultimate goal. I didn't grow up with a lot and was always taught to be happy with what I have. Any opportunity I can get, I will take and keep my mouth shut for a while. "Don't bite the hand that feeds you" right?

I think I would thrive in a studio position. Even if it meant being in a cubicle all day. Hell, I've already been sitting in a cubicle for the past 9 years so, what difference does it make right?

But then again, life is about balance. Eventually, I would want to establish an independent path if time would allow me to. I think we all need to at some point.

This is my opinion of course. There's no right or wrong. It all depends on the person.
rvasquez

Return to General Discussion