animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Animation Nation Kickstarter?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Animation Nation Kickstarter?

Postby marius » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:45 pm

Hey Charles, an idea hit me a second ago, and I thought I'd just throw it out there. I think Animation Nation has tremendous talent, and potential at it's disposal. There are a large number of artists who each in their own rights have their own significant number of fans associated with it. What if that energy was woven together? Could it be? For example, let's start with you. You are a well respected and admired legend of our community, with clear and definitive beliefs and values, and your actions have always been for the artist's best interest. So I would nominate you as the Executive Producer. The content can be voted on by your community here. There are a lot of content creators in your membership. You could do open pitches... see what the folks settle on. Once there is content, you can figure out the production details of all that. Find a way to incorporate other talent, and the fanbase grows. You can produce anything from a movie to a series to shorts that way. All through the Animation Nation hub. You could possibly incorporate the Animation Academy into it as well, and students can become apprentices in the process, and receive a fair crowdfunded wage. Once you build momentum of a few successfully funded properties, as well as successful execution, you will become a future hub...

It sounds like much but I really don't think it would be that hard. I was thinking about greg's evol baby thing and how he optioned off the movie. I was wondering what if he could get his rights back. And then produce the movie through kickstarter himself. best way to guarantee success is to incorporate solid track records of success to the project. I started thinking if snakebite were to get involved, you, your school... all together this epic thing would live. I was merely just daydreaming, and none of that is really any of my business. I'm not trying to tell a soul what to do, just throwing out thoughts that dawned on me... my intent is for every artist to succeed, and I see a lot of positives in the above strategy. You can control and organize all your passions into one thing, from being a creator, to being an educator. All without joining the unions, or compromising your kickstarter strategies. I dunno, I know I would fund an animation nation produced project...
be.lovely.
marius

Re: Animation Nation Kickstarter?

Postby marius » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:02 pm

I thought of a few more things for the pro column. Fans of the content will join the board. They'll be able to interact with all of the artists involved. EVERYONE can raise their profile, and earn their living by their own choosing. Bigger projects, will need production supervision, so able and honest producers would still be able to keep their employment, if they wanted an honest way of doing their jobs. You can juggle as many projects as you have talent. Use the community to guide the system, to choose projects, to cement decisions where greed or self-interest might creep in. I would suggest starting with a small, achieveable goal, and then raising the bar incrememntely. Account for that ramp up time in any new venture, and trust in the community to help keep it's design pure. SNAKEBITE to me is perfect counsel, I trust his moral compass. I just think when a tsunami strikes, the bigger the ship, the better off are the chances, and all hands on deck riding the wave, is neater than going it alone...

I can't find a negative... and that's odd for me.
be.lovely.
marius

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:36 pm

AN is about supporting people who are doing it themselves. Produce, don't pitch.

I know I for one am too busy focusing on my personal success. I've done it the other way for 20 years. It didn't work. I'm trying something new and investing %150 in myself. Doesn't mean I don't collaborate along the way, but anything that takes real time to follow through with is focused on me.

By being more successful (which is a term that is open to personal definitions) I can do so much more. I can establish models that echo my morals and ethics. I can put others to work, train, educate, be educated...grow, empower...rinse, repeat.

I'd use AN to debut and promote myself. In order for the site to grow.

AN needs more personal success stories. People who did it themselves and utilized the knowledge here. Came back and associated their product with the site.

I'd rather see The Animation Academy get funded. Produce more content with the students. Use AN to promote it all.

In this case it all will stem from the personal success of one man, Charles Zembillas. After all he IS the Academy and the Nation.

So, to me the success of AnimationNation, which is to empower artists, comes from being empowered artists and sharing your journey here.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:16 pm

I've been thinking about a campaign for AN for a while now. I plan on doing something for the Academy that would also have a special crowdfunding aspect to AN. I was leaning towards Indiegogo since they have a category for organizations but Kickstarter could work too.

At the moment I'm knee deep in managing several projects as well as the school but making progress in that direction. Meantime I'm open to suggestions.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion