animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Why is the animation community so weak?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Re: Why is the animation community so weak?

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Why can't divorce happen? I know lots of happy single people.

Also, the executives in todays dynamic are not just in charge of the money. They bleed into the creative and the micro-mis-management of the support crews.

Divorce needs to happen at times. I don't know why people need to get married in the first place, but if you are married and one person is a control freak and you need ANOTHER person to keep you from strangling each other then there's serious problems. Denial being one of them.

In addition that third person is the guy who charged you to be in the relationship,WHA??, told you everything would be alright, had no real power to keep your spouse from cheatin on you (overseas production)....oh man, I could go on with the analogy but my point is...divorce can be healthy.

Especially when the two parties never should of been married to begin with.

Studio systems don't have to fade for the successful individual dynamic to happen. In fact they flourish without these control mechanisms in place. Creatives hold the responsibility to set up business models they prefer. Executives are still in the mix, they are employees not spouses. Support teams are still needed. Deals are still made.

Internet makes international copyright and distribution possible. We can work together without walls and lines things like Unions put up.

I don't live outside those systems. Don't get it twisted, brother. I build bridges. Bridge builders work with all systems but are also able to see what works and what doesn't.

I happen to disagree with the fixation of the need for centralized problem solving agencies that make it so you HAVE to join them in order to build bridges.

You want to believe in them. Good luck. But I find them limiting and finite with potential. Eventually the mold must be broken in order to grow.
SNAKEBITE

Postby marius » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:07 pm

"Why can't divorce happen? I know lots of happy single people."
It can. Will it? Patterns don't leave me feeling it will.

"Also, the executives in todays dynamic are not just in charge of the money. They bleed into the creative and the micro-mis-management of the support crews."

Apparently the artists in charge of creative, are weak at holding onto their responsibilities. I've yet to see an executive cantrol a human's actions. They can only hire or fire... that's it. That is the scope of their power. ANYTHING else that happens is the responsibility of the artist.

"Divorce needs to happen at times. I don't know why people need to get married in the first place, but if you are married and one person is a control freak and you need ANOTHER person to keep you from strangling each other then there's serious problems. Denial being one of them."

I agree. Divorce needs to happen at times. SOOO does compromise. As for marriage, to each their own. I can't get into a debate on that, cause it's PURELY subjective.

"In addition that third person is the guy who charged you to be in the relationship,WHA??, told you everything would be alright, had no real power to keep your spouse from cheatin on you (overseas production)....oh man, I could go on with the analogy but my point is...divorce can be healthy."

The union is not the one who charged anything. Creatives started the movement, and executives maximized it. The union grew out of the need to equalize the playing field.

"I happen to disagree with the fixation of the need for centralized problem solving agencies that make it so you HAVE to join them in order to build bridges."

I don't get the bridge analogy. Where are you, where is the bridge going to. what's running ounder the bridge... what exactly are we talking about?

"You want to believe in them. Good luck. But I find them limiting and finite with potential. Eventually the mold must be broken in order to grow."

I can accept that view. It's strong and you seem to honestly believe in it. I've no intent to try to talk you out of it. I have the same issues with your stances as you do with mine. I find running unorganized limiting and finite in potential. I wish you the same luck sir.
be.lovely.
marius

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:26 pm

Its a myth you need a union to be organized. What I speak is about organizing. Your conclusions as to my position are incorrect.

Good thing you're not a reactionary though.

I don't feel like getting caught up in your web. You're too smart for me. I'm gonna bow out. I said my peace. Good luck with uniting the community. Your technique so far shows much potential to make it all happen.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Greg B » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:50 pm

I'd say the animation community isn't any different than the other communities found in commerce, arts, industry, religion, and anywhere people are grouped up.

The animation community really isn't a community. Only a few hundred found here on AN actually give a damn. That's pitiful but it's because people in general are afraid. It's the same all over the U.S., people afraid to speak up or stand up because they'll lose their jobs and anyone who has been broke and poor knows it's like a fate worse than death dealing with public assistance, bill collectors, etc..

No one is going to rock their own boat. People like me, Charles, Snakebite and others here can speak up and fight. Why? Because the one thing I know about them is they will always come up off the mat throwing punches to the last. Some of us are like that. We will fight until the last tooth is busted. Maybe it's because our parents and ancestors were that way. Nature never rewards cowardice it just appears that when cowardice wins it really is just a stay of execution but sloooowww.

Recently I had a rude awakening seeing people I had fought for for years suddenly turn on me. It wasn't necessarily 'me' they turned on but what I represented which was taking responsibility and standing up for others. I kind of felt like all that hard work had gone to waste but in the end I found greener pastures.

So from my viewpoint there is no animation community. Only small pockets of people thrown together because they work for the same company or went to the same schools. The past 14 years reading AN I see animators bitching about the same things they bitched about then but blamed executives like Michael Eisner for everything from pay problems to toe fungus. He's been long gone now and we're back to the old bitching post again. That's after many top animator types like PIXAR gained the high ground and we end up worse off? What's that say?

Far as I'm concerned there's only one animation community worth a flying fart and that's AN. Everybody else is just posers.
Greg B

Postby marius » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:59 am

I'd agree with you greg, in that the problem isn't localized in the animation community. I see it as a decision making problem. Right now a vast majority of society bases their decisions on money. There is little concern for much else.
I've noticed a trend on the crowdfunding tip though... the vast majority of the successes, were not fiscally goal oriented ammounts. A purpose came first, and the dollars came to support the purpose. Society steps in and supports purposes geared towards it's interest... and that's where the money lies. do your best for the society around you, and it WILL empower you to that position. Or don't, and earn money.

I feel there is an animation community, it's just in a struggle frequency. It's hard to think and decide clearly when you are focussed on surviving. That's why it's extremely important for those that are BLESSED with the freedom to focus on things PAST survival to focus for those in survival mode. Right now, everyone's focussing too much on themselves. Everyone wants freedom. Everyone wants to be rich. I can't speak for anyone, but I don't think the majority got into this industry for those reasons. There is a FEAR of work, as if work in THIS case isn't doing what you dreamed of doing. The WORK is the most important bit... the THINGS we create. The purity of the decision of action.... THEN comes focus on money, cause THEN the money comes. Until humans start planning for each other's well being together, we'll stay in this fractured state. To me the union is supposed to be the meeting place for planning that stability. ALL parties involved in the community of animation, OWE it to be involved. We're a symbiotic species, both with this world, and with each other. ALL of us.
To change things takes a lot of work. But even MORE than that it takes commitment, to do better, when you know better. Don't empower a thing you don't stand for. And fight for the survival of anything you love. Follow what you KNOW is better. Excuses can be created instantly... art takes time, commitment, and a a vision or passion to execute.

I believe in the community of AN, but I also know there are others out there as well. They thrive in the crowd-source environment... they are busy doing their best at carving out their futures... I couldn't call them posers.

And the rest... man, everyone is asleep until they are awake. You can't hate on sleepers. It's an individual thing. Some like to sleep in... but when they awaken, they are on fire. I believe in our future as a united industry in action, and not just words...
be.lovely.
marius

Previous

Return to General Discussion