animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Users of the Internet going up?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Users of the Internet going up?

Postby marius » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:30 pm

http://internetstatstoday.com/
Thought this was interesting.

" Eric Schmidt has boldly predicted that everyone in the world will be online by 2020...
Internet users are growing in Africa and Latin America at a fast pace with support from the local governments. Already in Colombia Internet Penetration in the larger cities (over 200,000 population) has reached 80%. Internet World Stats data shows 34.3% penetration worldwide for mid-year 2012. For mid-year 2020, we predict Internet world penetration will be in the range of 70-80%."

If there are only 2 billion-ish users of the internet presently, what impact, if any, will an additional 3-5 billion people have on the independent market economy?
be.lovely.
marius

Re: Users of the Internet going up?

Postby Charles » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:07 pm

If the projections are correct that means Internet users will double from present levels over the next 7 years.

That translates to everything that's going on now only twice as much. A far wider audience for content, far larger fan base for crowdfunding, many more people all over the world especially in developing countries who'll be available to participate and experience in all that the Web has to offer. Far more creative productivity, more sharing, more to celebrate!

This is what's happening and what we can expect in the near term future. Position ourselves in the present for great upcoming opportunities to communicate in an expanding medium.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby marius » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Could there be any negative side effects?
Will 1 million views on youtube, still carry the same value?
With that many more humans in the mix, can the number of content providers grow to a point where one can get lost in the masses again?
How many humans can run crowd source strategies til the well dries out, or will the well not change?
be.lovely.
marius

Postby SNAKEBITE » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:15 pm

The demand has always outweighed the supply. Problems happens through monopolies and bottlenecking of production and distribution.
SNAKEBITE

Postby marius » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:29 pm

"The demand has always outweighed the supply. Problems happens through monopolies and bottlenecking of production and distribution."

So then the rapid growth in a few years that doubles the online populace should have no negative impact?
be.lovely.
marius

Postby Charles » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:33 pm

What's the downside Marius?

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 pm

Why would a larger audience have negative impact on creators?
SNAKEBITE

Postby marius » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:18 pm

I have no idea what the downside is. I just heard this fact today. Best case scenerio, if we all stay on track we should be fine. So I think on worse case scenerios. Worse case scenerio is the cycle repeats. With many voices it's easy to be drowned out, and a megaphone is needed to be heard. Studio systems were the old megaphone. I can't imagine they won't update their working model by then, and swoop back in... and business goes back to normal, til the next breakthrough... just a thought, and not meant to start trouble. IF, and I am again emphasising IF that happens... wouldn't it be prudent, to have a plan for it happening... is all
be.lovely.
marius

Postby marius » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:20 pm

and is that even likely to happen?
be.lovely.
marius

Postby Charles » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:22 am

Look at it this way. The positives that comes from the Internet will double. The negatives that comes from the Internet will double. It will be what we each make of it. Whatever happens I hope it will continue to be a free flowing source of communication between human beings for the greater good of mankind.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby marius » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:23 am

I too hope that. I just also see the patterns. In the beginning it started with a few people. They got together and it became a bigger thing. It got bigger and it required more people to manage the thing. The people managing the thing overpowered the thing, and then the internet boom happened. Joe cartoon, Mondo Media, and a few others found success that they could ride with that boom. There were MANY other content providers during that time, but they couldn't catch that wave for whatever reasons. The cycle is on us again, and many will catch the wave... what happens after is the mystery. Things won't change without US fundamentally changing our behaviours and expectation. Without addressing the long running systems that in all likelyhood will continue running nothing can really change for the industry. But that said, everything can still change for the individuals in they system presently. I WANT everyone's personal success to happen but I WANT the industry's healthy success more. Here is where we fundamentally part paths. I believe getting independent freedom from a structure is a beautiful thing. I think not using that freedom to implement healthy change in the structure is a mistake. And I think downplaying planning on it, is not a prudent thing. But what do I know. I'm with you guys in spirit all the way to where artists have the freedom to choose their destinies. I'm ALL for that movement in all it's ways.
be.lovely.
marius

Postby Charles » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:20 am

There's a fellow who lives in Burbank and goes by Egoraptor. He makes offbeat animated films that are quirky and different. He's developed a massive following on YouTube.

As of this writing he has 982,834 subscribers and his videos have had 160,526,601 views.

Here's his latest. It's had 2,701,604 views in just 1 week. That's comparable to and even exceeds the viewership that network TV cartoons get.

Egoraptor has become a YouTube star. He's super popular and has a massive following and fan base. Yet most people in the animation biz have never heard of him.

Check out his YouTube channel...

http://www.youtube.com/user/egoraptor

Think about what will happen when he takes a project to Kickstarter.

I haven't met the guy but I know people that have. From what they tell me the last thing he's interested in is getting a job in a studio. He wants to remain fully independent.

This is yet another example of how animation artists are able to find fulfillment and success outside of the industry proper.

The status quo studio based industry as we have known it is not as big of a deal as it used to be. With the anticipated growth of the Internet over the next few years artists like Egoraptor will be able to find even more opportunities to develop their fan base, audiences, markets, and their art.

The Internet has been and continues to be a catalyst for amazing things. Imagine what the animation industry would be like today without it.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby marius » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:40 am

I'm familiar with his work. He'd be one of those exceptions. My point is the industry as a whole. Individually we can spend all day touting singular success stories. I'm not interested in the individual's success. I'm interested in the success of the industry, which takes a LOT of successful individuals to bring about.

"I haven't met the guy but I know people that have. From what they tell me the last thing he's interested in is getting a job in a studio. He wants to remain fully independent."

And that's his FAIR place to be, for he came up independently. Those of us that USED the system to rise ourselves, we OWE it to that system to raise it with us. Or not. It's up to the artists. Care about yourself, or care about the society you are in. It affects me not one way or another. You seem to think I'm saying DON'T do what egoraptor is doing. I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying don't neglect the system you used to propel yourself forward. If that particular artist had 0 involvement in the traditional studio systems, it would not make sense to expect him to care. What about those that did? Is it ok to watch people take, use, abuse, and neglect that resource while they chase their own personal ambitions? Apparently, the mass opinion is that's ok behavior, cause they do it to you. That's not what was meant by "do unto others as you would have done unto you"... least in my head.
be.lovely.
marius

Return to General Discussion