animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Question for Mr. Fun

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Question for Mr. Fun

Postby Richard » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:32 pm

I was wondering if you knew any classic Walt Disney animated features even back in the day 50-80's whose animation production was partially (and secretly) outsourced to studios in other countries? There was a wiki entry on TMS (Tokyo Movie Shinsha) that, until yesterday, consisted of co-productions involving "Alice and Wonderland", "The Aristocast", "Fox and the Hound", "Black Cauldron", "Great Mouse Detective", "Oliver and Company", to name a few. Unfortunately, they were taken down, so the proof is gone, however, I don't know if it was a mistake or what.

In short, was their uncredited outsourcing of Disney's older movies back in the day that no one knows about?
Richard

Re: Question for Mr. Fun

Postby Richard » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:30 pm

No one knows anything about this?
Richard

Postby Charles » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:14 pm

Richard, from what I remember of the time, Disney was proud that they never sent any animation production overseas or that they never did any Saturday morning TV content. When Eisner came along that all changed with the Gummi Bears and the Wuzzles. I think they were the first shows produced for the Saturday morning market as well as being shipped out of house to be animated.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Richard » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:14 am

Thanks, Charles. Perhaps it was mistaken info.
Richard

Postby paburrows » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:37 am

Speaking of Disney Saturday Morning shows I guess that ASIFA's going to have a TV shows reunion soon. Should be interesting.
paburrows

Postby Charles » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:28 pm

Actually Paul, I posted a notice concerning the event on the forums yesterday. Here's the link.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=500

Daily Z

Charles

Postby MrFun » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:05 pm

Sorry, guys - I've been on a film.

To answer your question, I don't recall anything being outsourced until the Eisner management came on board.
MrFun

Postby Richard » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:26 am

Thanks Mr. Fun. I figured I'd come to you since you are a long-time veteran of Disney.

Now the question is when will they stop outsourcing so much.
Richard

Return to General Discussion