animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

When Crowdfunding Doesn't Work

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

When Crowdfunding Doesn't Work

Postby Greg B » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:29 pm

As much as I know about crowdfunding even I get campaigns that don't work. In this case I was raising money for a studio. Not a lot of money like some people ask for just a measly $3,500. With all the people I know worldwide not one person bit. Not family, colleagues, nor friends. However I'll get umpteen emails asking for money and getting people lawyers and all that. I had to look at the strategy and figure I did something or several things wrong. So I might launch again at Indiegogo instead of GoFundMe. Here's a link to my campaign I started last year:

http://www.gofundme.com/snuho

Gofundme doesn't allow for displaying more than one pic or artwork. I'll talk to the owner about that. I believe I'll have more success at Indiegogo.
Greg B

Re: When Crowdfunding Doesn't Work

Postby Charles » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:22 pm

I would've been happy to help support the effort Greg if I knew about it. Next time bring it to AN and promote what you're doing. Also ya gotta work on those rewards.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:36 pm

Thanks Charles. The rewards I was looking at. Even so the amount I was asking was so small putting together a large reward package would have eaten significantly into the donations unless the donations went past the mark.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:22 pm

Good rewards, aggressive promotion, all of it works together for a successful campaign. Indiegogo would be a better platform Greg. Don't forget the video. You can get the funding you're looking for if you structure the campaign. Keep in mind that Indiegogo has flexible funding too.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby marius » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:01 pm

Hey sir, i was curious... was there a reason why you did not try to fund a production around your evol baby property, and utilize it's fanbase for the crowd-sourcing revenue?
be.lovely.
marius

Postby Greg B » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:55 am

Marius because the Evol Baby property is continually being optioned for film. A real pain in the ass process as I have four properties that keep getting optioned for film. This time however, the reps have to pay me great money first so as I'm waiting I look for additional capital to keep rolling.
Greg B

Postby marius » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:58 pm

Are you allowed to make an art of book? or a greg boone sketchbook... something where you might be able to showcase already created originals into print, and get that funded... drawing from the evol baby fanbase?
be.lovely.
marius

Postby Charles » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Greg, congratulations on launching a campaign on GoFundMe! It doesn't matter what the results are. You won by doing it.

I think Evol Baby is a great property! It's time has come. The art is really good and the story and setup unique and one of a kind. Make it happen brother!

Use Indiegogo to get started. Flexible funding. That way you're guaranteed a good cut of everything that comes in no matter what. That will be phase 1. Then prepare for Kickstarter.

I'll gladly promote the project on AN and through our network and will contribute too.

Video is essential. Ya gotta produce a video about what you're doing. Take care of business and get it going. You'll be successful!

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion