animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Cutting edge printing technology is dropping prices

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Cutting edge printing technology is dropping prices

Postby Charles » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:14 pm

Yesterday I was walking down the street and stopped by a printers to get some copies made. It had been a while since I'd been there and noticed changes. The place had new technology. In my conversation with the owner he updated me on what he had to offer. I was impressed! Ashcan books at affordable prices even at low quantities and the quality was very good. One project he was working on was for a local artist. The ashcan book he was printing had 52 pages in black and white and was nicely done. In fact, I was stunned when he told me what he was charging the guy. A rate so low the artist could easily make money from selling it.

This is a great way to hard copy publish. I immediately started thinking about using this as a reward for a Kickstarter campaign.

Man, the difference that crowdfunding has made! Everything I see nowadays I relate to a Kickstarter reward! :D

What an exciting era we're living in! All those years of struggle and confusion giving way to a new path. One that's providing the opportunity to do just about anything you want!

Perhaps I dwell on it so much cuz I appreciate it more. I remember the hardships and the obstacles, the disappointments, letdowns, everything that made going off on your own difficult, daunting and even impossible.

Everything was NO.

Now it's all YES!

Getting things done for us, for ourselves, has never been this accessible! I'm grateful to have hung in there long enough to see this day. :)

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Cutting edge printing technology is dropping prices

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:29 pm

Right??? I'm so glad I didn't give up or give in. Now is our time! We positioned ourselves wisely.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Greg B » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:23 pm

New technology??? Printing costs lowered???

This is what is supposed to happen! What went wrong that things are going right?

Let us know where this printing shop is so we can do business with someone honest for a change.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:39 pm

They're making good use of very high end photocopiers Greg.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:57 am

I figured that out Charles. The rest of us will search around for other honorable printers to get deals like this.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:15 pm

Greg here ya go...

http://www.araprinting.com

The owner's name is Orbel.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:39 am

Snakebite and his partner stopped by this week and we went down to this place to check out what they do. They have some very handy high end equipment that makes low run to higher volume quality printing affordable enough to sell really nice ashcan books and more.

I'm inspired by this so last night I went through my old portfolio and found enough content to fill 52 pages of an ashcan book plus the cover for a thematic / educational book I've had in mind. I scanned pages and pages of stuff last night. I have content to keep book after book coming for who knows how long.

Creative productivity and owning your content ladies and gents... It will pay off for you! 8-)

On this one I'll take it to 64 pages which is twice what and average ashcan would be and sell it for the same price.

Plus I can convert this to an ebook and offer it as a download.

And... it will make a great crowdfunding reward! ;)

Daily Z

Charles

Postby marius » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:19 pm

thanks charles!
be.lovely.
marius

Postby Charles » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:49 pm

Sure thing Marius.

Stopped by the printer today to coordinate things. I'll be dropping off the files soon for the book I mentioned. He can have a run ready for me while I wait. Amazing!

I have so much content suitable for this format I'll be keeping them busy for quite a while. This technology is a fantastic resource for us all.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:42 pm

Well guys I've just completed a brand new book. Started putting it together a week ago this evening and now it's ready for a print run on Monday.

It'll be an ashcan format which is 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches or 21 1/2 x 14 centimeters.

It's 64 pages long and the inside cover will be printed as well.

It will be thematic and have an educational aspect to it. All the content is pulled from previously existing material along with some recently created images. The images will be in black and white grayscale.

I'll be printing a run of 100 and will sell them face to face at $10 each. I can ship them to anyone in the US or Canada for $12.50 and international $15.

I'm also well on my way to laying out a follow up which I can have ready in another week. I can get a series of ashcan format books published in fast order.

Looking forward to adding a new layer to the cake. ;)

Keep Creating!

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:43 am

Well I learned something yesterday.

To begin with, my first foray into the world of ashcan book publication was well received by those who saw the proof copy last night in class.

And secondly, that 64 pages is too much for an ashcan book format as it will not easily allow for the book to remain closed. Tends to kind of flop open to the center spread.

I'm in the process of consolidating its content and getting it just a bit thinner. A learning process as is everything in life. :D

Once I get the formula for this down I'll be able to smoothly and efficiently publish many of them and also convert the files to an ebook format.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:59 pm

Something I learned through these most recent experiences with printers...

It appears that offset printing is going the way of the horse and buggy. The printer I'm dealing with mentioned they sold their offset printing press machine recently. Bought for $75,000 brand new they could only get $2000 or it.

The way of the present technology is digital in all things.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion