animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Here Come The Big Boys! DC Comics' Crowdfunding Wins!

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Here Come The Big Boys! DC Comics' Crowdfunding Wins!

Postby Greg B » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:53 am

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2013/04/04/we-can-be-heroes%E2%80%99-crowdfunding-campaign-reaches-50k-goal-in-three-days-new-perks

This is what we call faceting in crowdfunding lingo. ( actually I made it up a few years ago ), whereby more popular people or companies or groups raise funds and increase the overall profitability and profile of crowdfunding. Big companies don't need the money but that doesn't mean they can't join in on crowdfunding.

In this case it was for charity and fan-donors got goodies. DC's high profile nature allows for more publicity to enlighten the public about crowdfunding.

DC met it's $50k goal in 3 days. Just think when they and Marvel do this regularly. Then offer other people links on their sites with their own crowdfunding campaigns. Another secondary market. The higher the traffic of a site, the more targeted the traffic, the more successful the campaign can be.

See the math?
Greg B

Re: Here Come The Big Boys! DC Comics' Crowdfunding Wins!

Postby Charles » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:50 am

Indeed I do brother indeed I do! :D

Here's how it's adding up so far...

$58,044 raised of a $50,000 Goal with 41 days left!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dc-en ... --4?c=home

Also related video on DC's We Can Be Heroes campaign against hunger in the Horn of Africa...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:44 pm

At the risk of sounding like a "bitchfest":) I have mixed feelings about the big companies jumping in..does it make it legit or does it take away attention?

I know from working for them all as well publishing indie projects. Take for instance the ordering catalogs for the industry.If you're publishing under a big banner the stores order from that section, and order less from the indie sections. Will this dynamic bleed over to individuals who currently go to Kickstarter to find product? Will they go directly to known brands or will they continue to look for individuals like myself?

We thought movies and more licensing would help comic books too...didn't...well, at least it didn't help the artists and their payscale and recognition. Just helped the brand. the corporation.

We've had to believe the myth that our pay is based off the sales of the book. It shouldn't be. It should be based off advertisement scales cuz thats what comics do. they advertise IP so that these companies can make licensing deals that make them billions...AND its also visual development for script writers and directors...none of which benefit the artists. The original creators...Unless you OWN the IP.

I'd like to see if DC ups their pay scales if they use crowdfunding. because they havne'tbeen able to sell comics properly in a long while, now they are jumping on this new platform. And instead of coming off like they are helping hunger in other countries(which really just promotes their brand and makes them come off to the market like they are good people) why not help hunger within their own community? The artist who build their empire.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Greg B » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Charles, glad you can see the positive efect this is having. DC is owned by TimeWarner. I've worked with TimeWarner on and off and this is a big step forward for crowdfunding and charity.

Sure big companies are a question but it's all about math. DC Comics has links all over the web. When they put out a campaign it by default should go to tens of thousands if not a million websites, blogs, social networking. This allows for other crowdfunding projects to put their links up like a line of train cars. By default it should get a campaign more noticed.

We do this in Internet Marketing. In this case we make a product like an ebook or how-to course and other marketers sell the product for us. Like a train. This is new and more refined from the old days of ten years ago and is turning quite profitable.

Like you Snakebite, if you put together a how-to color with photoshop course with videos you could put it up for sale and who knows how many affiliates would sell it for you. It's all about the math of the marketing masses which is now global. You can have affiliates from the UK, China, Russia, Australia all battling it out to sell your products on the web while you sit on your butt collecting money straight into your PayPal account.

That's what's happening with crowdfunding today which I'm outlining in my ebook on the subject. Mind you all, this is still just the tip of the iceberg because what is happening nowadays is the old boy networks are falling like duckpins and the people are doing business with themselves globally. That's never, ever been done before on this scale. The possibility of a promotion for a product you make at home reaching millions in a few hours is growing more common.

Crowdfunding is opening doors and solving problems that the old boy networks and gangsters used to use for suppressing others out of business.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:02 pm

It is a big deal Greg. Very profound and an inevitability as well.

Made AN's Frontpage for this date along with an acknowledgment and a link to your blog.

http://www.animationnation.com

Dedicated article: http://www.animationnation.com/dc-comic ... -indiegogo

Crowdfunding is the future of commerce and will fast become the standard for the way to do business in entertainment.

Don't look to the big companies to do anything for us other than provide a training ground for the ultimate step in one's career and that's immersing into the New Way and enjoying the freedom and happiness and success that a direct connection to a devoted worldwide fan base can bring.

JUST LIKE THE BIG BOYS HAVE BEEN DOING FOR EONS!!! :P

The complete democratization of every aspect of entertainment commerce and beyond! It's here!

Thanks DC for helping to prove it!!! :D

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:49 pm

I have full faith in crowdfunding. Best believe. My full attention is positioning myself for it. Its my full time job and I am steering all of my intellectual properties to take advantage of the platform. I do agree that the big boys coming on board does validate its power. I just see how the market tends to lean towards brands they know as opposed to indie names. But this isn't me poopooing on crowdfunding in the least. I'm about to release my first campaign to get the ball rolling for my brand in this particular arena. Which I feel I will have more success in crowdfunding then any other platform before.

Fist high, people!
SNAKEBITE

Postby Greg B » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:41 pm

See, you guys are seeing the pot o' gold before the rainbow shines.

That's why this is going so well. As for film makers, right now, getting a movie funded is a reality but getting it distributed in theaters is another problem. The theaters are owned by the studio/distributors but suddenly there's a fly in the ointment.

Streaming web video.

In the old days we dreamed of streaming video on the web. Now it's here. It's here so huge it's screwing up network television and the theaters. People live by Netflix and Hulu alone.

Why? Because they can see what they want, not what's crammed down their throats.

A U.S. owned film may do okay here but overseas it might make a killing because broadband is still in development but that is changing fast.

Going to the movies is too expensive nowadays so people wait to see things on their big ass 70 inch flat screens. That's the wave of the future. It's making big money.

Here's an example, I have colleagues in Russia and the former Soviet states. My students there make so much money that they can now afford to buy their parents homes in the suburbs. You know what the number one past time is now? Getting drunk and watching DVDs on flat screen tvs.

That's it! People over there have 100 years of movies and television to catch up on. They're happy with just that and the same thing is going on in China, India, Africa.

Everyone in the world is turning into us from the 1950s and 60s. Couch potatoes in a digital world.

So soon, entertainment will call for quality content and producers who get crowdfunding will be able to call their own shots, hire their own people, say what they really want to say and make money from advertising alone.

There are more "positive default" variables than "negative default" variables. Only war and natural disaster stand in the way and the web was designed to withstand both.

Go ahead and laugh, it deserves it.

So for now just chill and focus on production and legals and strategies. There are some big changes in crowdfunding coming soon that will make the banks drop a brick.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:27 pm

The campaign continues as DC Entertainment's "We Can Be Heroes" on Indiegogo has a new leg to their crowdfunding efforts to alleviate hunger in the Horn of Africa.

This time it's the Justice League Edition!

There's $32,462 raised so far out of a $125 flexible funding goal, which means that funds will be forwarded even if the goal is not reached by the deadline of October 28 2013.

Everyone wins in a campaign like this!

Here's the link...

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dc-en ... ue-edition

And here's video that explains more of what the "We Can Be Heroes" campaign is about...

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion