animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

DreamWorks Artists - More hours no extra pay

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

DreamWorks Artists - More hours no extra pay

Postby Charles » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:45 am

In the wonderful world of work for hire in animation here in the Los Angeles area artists that have survived the huge layoffs at DreamWorks can breathe a big sigh of relief!

Not only do they keep their jobs but they'll be required to work an extra 5 hours per week without extra compensation. In effect taking around a 12.5% pay cut.

Yep! Don't ya just love those studio jobs where everything you create is not something you own?

But at around $2000 a week I'm sure few people will complain especially when they've got a union with massive huevos like The Animation Guild backing them up!

For those 80% of union members that bother to not get involved in the affairs of their own union such as voting on your employment contract, don't forget to not vote or participate in any way come the elections this fall.

Meanwhile, artists with a fraction of the skills of the work for hire gang are doing very well with projects they create and own and crowdfund.

Kinda makes ya wonder which way things are going don't it?

With those extra 5 hours a week the DreamWorks artists are losing along with the general unpaid overtime that most studio artists are subject to it seems there's even less time available for those guys to create on their own.

There was a time when work for hire studio artists looked upon independents as unsuccessful since success in animation meant working at a studio according to work for hire artists at the studios.

It'll be interesting to see how success in animation is defined a few years from now as this trend away from studio employment and towards independent crowdfunded projects continues.

Anyway, look at the bright side...

Ya still got a job studio artists so be grateful and good luck with the way things are shaping up.

The future in LA / Hollywood is not in work for hire dependence upon the studios.

The future is in content and independence!

Keep Creating for YOURSELF and EACH OTHER!

Daily Z

Charles

Re: DreamWorks Artists - More hours no extra pay

Postby Greg B » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:10 am

Dreamworks used to be an attractive studio to work with but then around 2000 they started getting creepy hiring people who shouldn't have been in that studio nor around the general public at large.

They slowly became the monster they used to say they were fighting. Good ol' boy network included.

I'll stop here before s*** gets legal up in this mo' fo'.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:54 am

I've always enjoyed DreamWorks and frequently visited the studio. They have a great setup with free breakfast and lunch for their employees. Gourmet no less.

Too bad they're having troubles there but that's the way it goes. Good times and not so god times is the way of life. They're a great studio oozing with talent and they'll find the right balance between prosperity and opportunity.

The artists working there won't mind an extra hour of work per day in exchange for staying employed. In addition to feeding their people they've been the largest employer of union talent in the industry so I think a great big THANK YOU would be in order from people in the union who'd be inclined to bad mouth them.

Not that anybody in the union would ever do such a thing! Perish the thought! :o :shock: ;)

The existence of DreamWorks has meant a lot of extra money for the animation community for many years.

Remember this all you animation historians out there?

The DreamWorks Factor published February 27, 1999.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:02 am

Sorry folks, there seems to be some confusion here.

I don't know if DreamWorks is adding 5 hours to a 40 hour work week or cutting back to 45 hours from a 50 hour work week.

Union studios. I thought...

"You can't change law."
Steve Hulett
Business Rep
The Animation Guild
October 21 2011

:lol:

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion