animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

'The Tomorrow Girl' - Kickstarter mega $ucce$$

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

'The Tomorrow Girl' - Kickstarter mega $ucce$$

Postby Charles » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:41 pm

I wonder when Aaron Diaz, author and creator of "The Tomorrow Girl: Dresden Codak" will see the light and get his portfolio together, take it to a comic book company or an animation studio, get a work for hire job and then bitch like a stitched up witch when he gets laid off or his job is outsourced.

It won't be anytime soon! :D

Check out his Kickstarter campaign so far...

2,925 Backers pledging $215,594 of a $30,000 goal with 26 days to go!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/156 ... k-volume-1

Daily Z

Charles

Re: 'The Tomorrow Girl' - Kickstarter mega $ucce$$

Postby Greg B » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:39 am

That's freakin' impressive! He won't be having to worry about eating for a lonnnnnnng time if ever.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:03 am

You got that right brother Greg.

Not only that but he'll be able to feed plenty of other people too!

Thanks for bumping this up. Here's where the campaign is currently at...

3,888 backers pledging $278,741 of a $30,000 goal with 20 days to go.

No question about it. There's a brave new world that's emerging and it's very partial to artists and creative individuals! :)

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:41 pm

Charles, just think if this was an Animation Nation project. You could employ several people and boost the local and global animation scene.

I mentioned stuff like this years ago when crowdfunding was young.

One day I expect to see AN as a crowdfunding hub where projects can get funded and launched with no problem.

I'm writing a big ebook about crowdfunding which is a basic introduction with interviews with successful crowdfunders and owners of the crowdfunding sites as well as a practical exercise to allow people to test the waters.

Gonna be asking you and Chance to give your viewpoints on the industry.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:01 pm

This is one guy. One person. A singular artist as far as I can tell with his creative property.

Look at where he's at so far...

4,503 backers pledging $322,115 of a $30,000 goal with 14 days to go in the campaign!

That's nearly $106,521 more than when I first posted the topic just 12 days ago! An increase of nearly 50%!

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:01 pm

I think what happens too is people see that you're successful and they want to be apart of the success and breaking records.

This also confirms with me what I already knew..the publishers have been failing us for years.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:38 am

Fans are today's publishers and financiers.

Check out where this project is at...

5,098 backers pledging $361,630 of a $30,000 goal with 9 days to go!

Hmmm... I wonder if this artist should go on strike, or picket studios that are abusing work for hire artists, or pack up and move to Louisiana for a 6 month work for hire contract only to be let go after 3 months on a project he doesn't own.

Or go back to art school and assume massive debt and never learn the difference between a copyright or a trademark, never learn about contracts or starting your own business and only learn work for hire with no questions asked.

Or maybe he can submit his portfolio and work at a local animation studio for non-creative executives who take off in the afternoon to spend time riding their horses at the nearby equestrian center.

Or find a job in a union studio and work free overtime and attend union meetings only to have his suggestions for making things better shot down.

So many choices!

;)

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 am

You're right Charles. Fans are becoming the new revenue source but in effect they always have been but not as direct as crowdfunding offers.

This process is going just where we predicted years ago. I used to find funding for people and with crowdfunding I don't have to. Especially for inventors! We're gonna see some inventions that will change the world thanks to crowdfunding.

So the success of this campaign and others pretty soon I expect to see YOU, Charles raking in the dough for real animation projects.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:54 pm

Sit down and take a deep breath. Here's the final tally on the Tomorrow Girl campaign on Kickstarter...

7,565 backers pledged $534,994 of a $30,000 goal!

I don't think the artist will be knocking on doors looking for work anytime soon. :D

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion