animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Is Kickstarter the #2 comic book publisher?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Is Kickstarter the #2 comic book publisher?

Postby SNAKEBITE » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:16 pm

"That’s gross revenues. In terms of the revenue a publisher receives, there is a large difference between Kickstarter and a distributor. Depending on the size of the pledge, Kickstarter will keep 8%-10%, with 90-92% going to the creators/publisher. For a “regular” publisher, Diamond will require a 60% discount with the publisher keeping 40% of the list price. The top four publishers above are part of Diamond’s “Premiere” program and will have a brokerage relationship with the distributor. It will be a slightly better deal that a regular publisher gets. For the purpose of comparing ballpark net revenue flows to the publisher, the publisher totals were multiplied by 40% and the Kickstarter total by 90%, which yields:

1.Marvel, $2,764,427.55

2.Kickstarter, $1,988,407.80

3.DC, $1,718,766.78

4.Image, $1,190,403.18"

Full story here

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-t ... isher.html
SNAKEBITE

Re: Is Kickstarter the #2 comic book publisher?

Postby Charles » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:37 pm

The math is a little confusing to me as to how they get the numbers that they've got but if Kickstarter can indeed be considered a publisher then I hope they take all current models of artist exploitation by the status quo, turn it upside down and inside out and toss it in the trash for good.

There are so many comic book projects on Kickstarter that have been successfully funded you can easily lose count. From a few hundred dollars to many thousands and even into the millions of dollars.

Plus you OWN YOUR PROJECT AND YOUR PROPERTY !!!

And these projects are good! They would never see the light of day if left to the standard comic book industry. Now anyone can get their comic out through crowdfunding!

There's no question that is where comics are going. I'm really happy that Kickstarter is an idealist. ;) :D

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:04 pm

Well, as a fellow idealist I agree with you.

yeah, the math is weird but I get the point.

Mostly I get I own and control my s***. Which is most important.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Greg B » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:00 pm

The key point here is math.

It's something I caught onto in the 90s when the web was new which is why I was able to work in mainstream comics and online. I got an early start and started working for AOL and then they teamed up with TimeWarner so I was in the catbird seat and was still doing comics.

I realized the numbers on the web were growing by leaps and bounds and got back into journalism and radio. The numbers increased. The key was subscriptions.

Like today, if you have between 1,000-5,000 fans or subscribers you can make yourself a good five to six figure income. It's better now because of crowdfunding as it provides much needed seed money and provides a living wage flow of capital so you don't have to do the feast or famine thing.

Comics, animation, still haven't taken advantage of internet marketing yet and when they do that will be an even bigger explosion in growth and revenue. It's something I've been working on for several years and it's paying off.

Remember, you don't need a gillion people, just enough to be consistent. I have friends, fans, students who have 100s of thousands of subscribers to their marketing products. Every week they mail out or alert these subscribers to new products and services. So if you have 100,000 people who await your every bit of news and you send them a link to one of your products that goes for $10 you can see why these people are making six to seven figures a month. Some are huge marketers with several million subscribers from around the world. They do not bs around. I know four of the top people and wish I had stuck with them when they started back in the 90s. Only one however uses a cartoonist who is his wife but he got the idea of using cartoons from me back in the 90s.

So math is the point here. Statistics show how valuable this is. Reaching the public is the way to make sales and win people. However, artists are going to have to reach further than their own limited areas of influence to make the huge money.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:16 am

I think there's different ways of looking at this comparatively. What I see is all the comic campaigns in progress on Kickstarter and all the campaigns that have been successfully funded so far.

http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/comics

In my opinion, Marvel or any other publisher can't compare with the vast amount of content being featured on KS. No way. And it's quality stuff too! That in itself is enough to put Kickstarter at the top of the list of de facto publishers even though they're not technically publishing. The Kickstarter brand is not on the comics per se but the Kickstarter system sure is!

It light of the success that many of these projects see and add to it the ownership of their properties it's obvious that this is the future if not the present of the modern comic book industry.

New properties all the time! Huge creative diversity! Massive choice of content! Take all that into consideration and there's no comparison.

Kickstarter is far and away numero uno.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Yes Charles, Kickstarter and crowdfunding are allowing people to create without the problems of starving artist syndrome, but the people creating these products still have the challenge of SELLING what they've created.

You can have a guy acquire $30k to produce a comic but if he can't sell it then he's failed. Is anyone going to give him another $30k?

These are exciting times indeed for creators. A major yoke has been broken however it's what we do with it that depends on how it will turn out.
Greg B

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:18 pm

I disagree. These are presales and they are selling the comics. 30k raised is huge success. Any additional copies they have after the print run is used to sell more. They can take them to conventions and continue to make revenue. Considering in the old model an indie published comic can potentially make $1 per unit sold and vary rarely break the 20k mark because of the politics in place, a KS campaign that generates 30k most likely means the team can get paid for their time, the print run is paid for, the shipping is paid for plus you're in the black. SUCCESS. much more then the average indie book in the old model. You don't even have to worry about the politics of being in a book like diamond catalog or previews to get your book seen, let alone sold.

You generate 50k in a kickstarter campaign and you even have enough to produce the next issue and you have a mailing list and market waiting for the next issue.

The tough part is keeping up with the demand cuz now you're playing ball.
SNAKEBITE

Return to General Discussion