animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Creepy, skeezy, chintzy comic book publishing...

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Creepy, skeezy, chintzy comic book publishing...

Postby Greg B » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:03 pm

I was at a marketing seminar and saw something that just floored me.

I knew it was going to happen one day and it was inevitable. It's a new form of publishing comics online that is just so bottom feeder that it's lower than snakeshit in quicksand.

Can't fault the guys who are doing it because the opportunity is there and it is making them money.

Here's how it goes.

They're using public domain comic books. Yes, there are tens of thousands of them. Since they don't have to pay for rights they just snag up the comics from various website archives, do a little Photochopping to spruce them up and then publish them on Kindle or other ebook formats!

One guy claimed to have made $7k in a week with one book and he's doing more.

The public doesn't know these books are decades old and think they're buying new or hot stuff. Sure some of these comics haven't seen the light of day since before manned space flight but since no one renewed the copyrights they're public domain.

Could you possibly have needed anymore competition in the comics field?
Greg B

Re: Creepy, skeezy, chintzy comic book publishing...

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:49 pm

Damn...hahahahaha
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:36 pm

Content!

Even ancient public domain comic book content can make you money and it's not work for hire.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:57 pm

And it shows there's still demand for that content. And his profit margin increased because no one wanted to claim it...now, what if those artists kept their contents copyright and rereleased it themselves instead of letter vultures pick it up.

All I can say is someone saw the worth and it wasn't the artist...and someone got paid and....it wasn't the artist....

Going to work for Marvel or any other company that wants to perpetuate your worth being next to nothing is more creepy then this.
SNAKEBITE

Return to General Discussion