animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Learning code will evolve you?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Learning code will evolve you?

Postby SNAKEBITE » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:27 pm

SNAKEBITE

Re: Learning code will evolve you?

Postby skynet » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:10 pm

It seems coders or developers have been saying this for a while now.

On one hand, I agree and think the basic elements of coding could be required and taught in jr high and then the more complex stuff could be available in high school for those who were interested in taking it further.... That would be good, but at the same time as much as it would be good for kids to learn how to draw at a basic level and to learn how to play a musical instrument at a basic level in school. Why not? There's plenty of time for it, even though there is no "money" or inspiration for it. I wonder what it would do for a society if kids were simultaneously learning how to code, draw and play an instrument, along with anything and everything else, at a young age? We should be raising renaissance children, shouldn't we? How else are they going to survive the future that's being handed to them? Maybe when people have had enough with the current failing paradigms and begin to realize that love and intent are the basic things you need (not the typical "love" or "intent") to make life and all kinds of other amazing things happen.

On the other hand, it really isn't the "learning how to code" that evolves you. Anyone can learn to code just by memorizing stuff. What will make you "evolve" is when you utilize the new coding skill set to build new things. It is the critical thought and creative expression involved in building and assembling complex structures that evolves you. You can relate this to anything. Anyone can also learn to draw by memorizing stuff, or learn how to play an instrument by memorizing, or copying... and so on. We know that memorizing or repeating the same stuff you were taught wont get you anywhere until you start reassembling it all into something else.

Anyway, I think we just need people to do more critical thinking.
skynet

Re: Learning code will evolve you?

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:48 pm

I was waiting for someone else to say it. Cuz I don't like talking to myself...much...and I'm glad Skynet chimed in!

Code is just one piece of the bigger picture...What I was taught by mentors was I'm a problem solver, not just an artist. We should be teaching children how to problem solve as well as fill the world with beautiful things. Personally a world full of coders would be boring. There's so much time we can invest in exposing children to contributing to the world in many ways. And children want to learn when its more then just passing tests and making administrators look good for more funding to perpetuate mediocre skill sets.
SNAKEBITE

Return to General Discussion