animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

VFX Community Protest at 2013 Oscars

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

VFX Community Protest at 2013 Oscars

Postby Charles » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:25 pm

I've really tried to figure out what's wrong with animation artists in this business.

Why do we wait until the house of cards collapses before we are motivated to do something about it?

Why do we give our power away?

Why do we have a union that vilifies independents who have repeatedly tried to support them?

Why do we have a union that blacklists artists and boycotts organizations that are here to help?

Why do we have a problem with the idea of UNITY?

Where are the leaders? Where are the new ideas? Where are realistic solutions? Where's the pan-community dialogue? Why are we so absolutely dysfunctional as a community of professionals?

As long as we continue to follow the emptiness and hide in the shadows and not see the forest for the trees nothing will change.

Well, at least things have gotten so bad in the VFX production world that a protest is planned for the Oscars.

From AWN.com...

VFX Community Planning Oscar Protest
By Jennifer Wolfe
Saturday, February 23, 2013

Article

According to reports by the Los Angeles Times, Deadline and The Hollywood Reporter, a group of former Rhythm & Hues employees, led by Senior VFX Artist Dave Rand, have commissioned a plane to fly a banner over the Oscar red carpet that will read “BOXOFFICE + BANKRUPT = VISUAL EFFECTS VFXUNION.COM.” The banner is scheduled to fly over the pre-show red carpet between 3:30 PM and 4:30 PM.

“We’re tired of paying for the studios’ movies, our employers paying for the studios’ movies, and foreign tax payers paying for the studios’ movies,” Rand reportedly said. “It’s the greatest con of the entertainment industry.”

Rhythm & Hues, the VFX house behind the CG tiger in Oscar-nominated Life of Pi, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection last week despite infusions of studio cash, leading to mass layoffs affecting roughly 250 employees and a class-action lawsuit. Life of Pi is a frontrunner to win the top visual effects prize at the Academy Awards.

For Rand and his group, the aim of the effort is awareness. “We are not disrespecting Life of Pi or Rhythm & Hues,” Rand reportedly said. “We are trying to enlighten the studios that they are taking their racehorse and beating it to death.”

Last Friday, a bankruptcy judge approved $17 million in loans from Universal and Fox, integral to the VFX house's plans to stay in operation for the next few months and complete work on Universal's R.I.P.D., scheduled for release July 19, and Fox's Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters, scheduled for August 16.

On Thursday, a judge approved $4.9 million in financing that Legendary Pictures will pay Rhythm & Hues for the completion of its movie Seventh Son.

UPDATE: Follow @vfxunited on Twitter for further details and updates.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: VFX Community Protest at 2013 Oscars

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:18 pm

MORE
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/2013-osca ... 13627.html

So. I'm kinda unclear as to what the problem is here.
Are they mad because the work is going overseas for bottom line purposes? Did they not get paid what was agreed? It doesn't really state what happened besides a company going bankrupt and sending work overseas.

Can someone fill in the blanks for me.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:45 pm

That seems to be the new trend in VFX in Hollywood. Declare bankruptcy and then move everything offshore in production systems in countries that offer generous tax breaks.

So the work for hire labor only mindset community is stuck with their pants down once again.

Hey there ANIMATION GUILD !!! Call anyone UNION HATERS lately? :o :shock:

Feel sorry for the whole situation but it's been getting worse and worse. The CONTENT CREATORS within their ranks should think about making films that can compete with the big studios.

FORM NEW STUDIOS GUYZ !!!

ARTIST OPERATED STUDIOS !!!

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:35 pm

So they're mad cuz they took the work some place else?? Like every industry in this country? and they think Obama and Unions care? How do people think deregulated policy gets passed??

So, people got paid for the work on Pi? Did people get stiffed on a grand scale? or is this just about companies looking for a better bottom line?
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:44 pm

Did people get stiffed on a grand scale? or is this just about companies looking for a better bottom line?

Probably both from what I understand.

Remember SteveK when the new AN forums started? He was the union organizer for the Guild. He's the one with his very first post called me a "union hater" remember???

No clue as to the history of AN.

:D :D :D

Sorry I just think it's funny. Anyway...

His pet project is to organize the VFX labor force in LA into a new union. Not much luck I'm sorry to say.

The only thing the union has to offer is portable benefits. It adds at least 15% to a company's bottom line. That's it. No protection of jobs, no defense against moving production away from here. No defense against foreign tax subsidies.

What's needed is a new business model. Not a labor force protest let's go on strike and show em mentality.

Independents do a better job of that then they do.

Remember April 1... AN's 4.1 ? ;)

VFX Artists need to get themselves together and figure out what they want.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:50 pm

yeah, this is what Im getting at, C. We speak the same language indeed.

In addition, I think its silly to cry fowl like this. It was naive to think these people care about your hard work. I know how many hard lessons I have learned in regards to people not caring about your life and your work...why would a whole group of top professionals do anything this grand as Life of Pi for money not paid?

I think these communities like the abuse. I think they really put too much faith into systems that are about the bottom line and a small percentages bank accounts.

My point has always been, a Union won't do anything but create monopolies. They are looking to make a profit off ignorance with legitimate excuses..It kinda makes me laugh out loud a little bit.

Yes indeed, establish new business models. Be the change, stop begging for it. We have the power.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:08 pm

If the union and organized labor in animation in general had a progressive agenda outside of the work for hire work for the big studios for 20 years and get a pension mentality things would be different.

They're hostile to new ideas and methods and systems and they're about as weak as any union I know of in entertainment. Probably the weakest when they should be the strongest in a sector of entertainment that leads the market.

Go figure. How many years? How many years and how many of these bottoming out changes before they get it?

They keep saying "join us join us join us"... Join what? Weakness and apathy and corrupted leadership with no new ideas to offer?

What have we been saying all these years... INDEPENDENCE is the key to a strong economic foundation in our community! Build an INDEPENDENT ECONOMY !!!

But... "You can't change law" ... Steve Hulett, Business Rep, The Animation Guild Local 839 IATSE ... October 21, 2011 ... Burbank California.

They lose because they think like losers. They commit themselves to defeat even before the battle starts.

Too important to show up for AN Nights all those years and we were just down the street from them. Too busy working free overtime to stop by and say hello. Too busy calling us enemies and putting us down and slandering the AN Movement and the offensive personal insults they hurled at us all these years.

Sure guys we'll protest with ya... 8-)

Don't you get it you union dunderheads? When you don't reach out there's nothing to hold on to!

WE ARE NOT THE ENEMY and we never have been. We've been in your corner all along but you shut yourselves off from your own kind. From your creative brothers and sisters who've been fighting this war for a long time for EVERYONE and you turned your backs to us. You blacklisted us and ignored us and trivialized us.

It's not independents who should be joining you on your ride down a dead end street. YOU SHOULD BE JOINING US !!!

Maybe they'll get it maybe they won't. Maybe this protest will do something positive for everyone in VFX. Good luck!
Last edited by Charles on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:20 pm

its like ground hogs day, C! Didn't we meet during similar times? hahahaha
SNAKEBITE

Postby Greg B » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:40 pm

So how did the protest go? I saw on the Academy Awards broadcast that one winner mentioned th eplight of one of the VX houses.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:47 pm

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:01 pm

this is how much the industry don't care...
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Hahahahaha... :D :D :D

HOLLYWOOD YOU SUCK !!!

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:23 pm

Well that didn't last too long. The video's been taken down from YouTube. But it's too late!

I saw it! :o :shock:

Can't keep the truth shut up in a can forever suckuz!

Thank you brother Bite!

Hopefully it'll show up online again soon and make its way into the light for all to see.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:13 pm

You can see some of the footage here...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/2 ... _hp_ref=tw

Also you can follow R&H's Twitter...

https://twitter.com/RhythmAndHues

Daily Z

Charles

Postby sorryguyz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:47 pm

How convenient that he was cut off and silenced as soon as he was getting to the good part!!

hate him or love him, but george does make some good points (WARNING the video has some COLORFUL language):

Especially at 3:00 he hits the nail on the head when it comes to complacent artists.
sorryguyz

Postby Sikanda » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:52 pm

Wow, that was weird. I don't watch that stuff, but Hollywood sure doesn't want the rest of America to know what's happening. To most people they think Hollywood is this perfect place, god forbid they reveal how they have hurt people.
Sikanda

Postby 9oldmen » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:58 pm

Here's a viewing party at, of all places, Rhythm & Hues, Malaysia:
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=BHUAQ8W-ll4

http://Www.robertgold.blogspot.com
9oldmen

Postby Charles » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:56 am

Well the video went up on Vimeo and I even posted it on AN's frontpage.

Guess what!

It was deleted from Vimeo as well!

Check it out. This is where it was last night and it's no longer there...

But someone has it on YouTube again! Take a look at how Hollywood deals with the issue of artists and technicians within the VFX community...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:05 am

Also everything posted on Also everything posted on Rhythm & Hues' Twitter by their community since last evening concerning this issue has been deleted and replaced with generic announcements about the Oscar win.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:19 pm

This confirms that Hollywood is the propaganda machine for our government. Since corporations profit off governments policies, its no wonder that these things happen. These entertainment companies make huge profits while they keep crying bankruptcy...sound familiar? Policy passed by government gives them plenty of areas to make money overseas. More bailouts for people who are already plenty rich while the rest of the community beg for change. SOunds like they want us all homeless and desperate...but we here at AN already knew that and saw it coming.

Conspiracy? Hell yeah. Wake up.
SNAKEBITE

Next

Return to General Discussion