animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Visual Effects Companies Drying Up

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Visual Effects Companies Drying Up

Postby Greg B » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:50 pm

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323864304578316414057909902.html?mod=WSJ_hps_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsTop

Considering you can do major Hollywood special effects on a smartphone you wonder why studios pay an arm and a leg for special effects nowadays that still can't beat Ray Harryhausen.
Greg B

Re: Visual Effects Companies Drying Up

Postby Sikanda » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:03 am

I feel like we should be outraged more about California. For making to run a business so hard. It was interesting to listen to Tara Strong on Fat man on Batman podcast. She came from Toronto as a seasoned voice actress and she said they would pay every actor the same no matter what role or how many lines they had. She said it was one big factor she came here to CA. So what this tells me they are trying to pay everyone the same for whatever job you maybe doing. At the same time what is it about Toronto besides that that makes it so alluring for hollywood? Is there something to learn?
Sikanda

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:34 pm

I just got invited to this...

" [Description]

A demonstration to raise awareness for Visual Effects Professionals.

Those interested in organizing on Sunday at The Academy Awards can use this space. RSVP if you plan to attend. Also, send an email to vfxartistsunited@gmail.com for a headcount.

Check here for time and location updates:
https://twitter.com/vfxunited

From http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/:

Parking can be found here:
http://en.parkopedia.com/parking/lot/vi ... hollywood/

or you can take the Metro Red Line!

A plane with a VFX message will circle the Oscars 3:30 – 4:30pm.

You can follow vfxunited or hashtag #vfxprotest on twitter.

Big thanks to everyone getting involved and putting this together. One person who has stood out in their efforts is Dave Rand who not only paid for a plane to circle the Oscars but was also able to get a ton of major media coverage for the event:

FXGuide: Visual Effects protest at Oscars
LA Times: Visual effects workers plan Oscar flyover protest
Deadline Hollywood: VFX Pros To Stage Oscar Protest
Hollywood Reporter: VFX Community Planning Protest During Oscars

TV News outlets have been notified also.

There is no requirement to bring anything but there have been some excellent and funny ideas for protest signs and imagery you can print out if you are interested (If you have others email me and I’ll post them.):

#vfxprotestsigns
https://twitter.com/tvaziri/status/3051 ... 72/photo/1
https://twitter.com/mark_wilkins/status ... 29/photo/1
https://twitter.com/tvaziri/status/3044 ... 38/photo/1

Be safe, be courteous, be concise and on point, and best of all, have fun."
SNAKEBITE

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:38 pm

I was told a bunch of artists who worked on Life of Pi didn't get paid and RnHs went bankrupt...he said a bunch of movies are doing the same thing. production, don't pay then claim bankruptcy...then send new work overseas.

now they want to rally....I have to laugh a little. Not at peoples misfortune, but how people really only like to be helped and not be proactive when they was a time to be proactive...I mean, you can still be proactive but they all put themselves in positions of no power.

they want Obama to save them now..hahahahaha, seriously? hahahahahahaaha

More reasons to produce independently.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:52 am

I worked at R&H in the mid to late 1990s and enjoyed the projects I was on. They paid very well and the only complaint was that on some projects it took a very long time to get things approved and moving forward. I was raised on TV production which gets to the point and gets it out. This was more along the feature model which I wasn't entirely used to when it comes to extended periods of going around in circles. Not on everything. It depended on the director in most cases I'd say.

There's been a prolonged effort on the part of the Animation Guild to unionize VFX artists in the LA area but to no avail.

With all the problems in the VFX sector not one studio has voted to go union. That's because the traditional union model is not the answer for what plagues VFX. If a studio went union it would only make it worse as their overhead would be increased by at least 15% in a business that struggles to clear a 5% profit. Add to that the abysmal record of the Guild not being able to do anything much about anything and there ya go.

Sooner or later artists will realize they don't need non-creative executives to run and control their industry and that service based industries can improve their prospects for long term success by creating their own content. When you operate only as a service based studio you are vulnerable. Content that you own is what it's ultimately all about.

Warner Bros, Universal, Disney, all of these companies and many more aren't in the service production business when it comes to content. They produce content that they own.

Original content that you own.

Artists as executives.

New business models that pertain to what's happening today.

Stop giving away your power!

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:02 pm

If you remember this is exactly what we were talking about when the writers went on strike for new media...

I was in the position that if these companies didn't own the rights to new media then the creators of said content had those rights by common law and until the licensees negotiated something that benefit said creators then they should have no access to use said content for new media...but instead, everyone gave their power away...and instead of being these companies direct competition in new media and form new companies with said writers and creators to establish new appealing work models that complimented the creators, they went right back to work for the usual suspects.

I think most artists like to be abused. obviously, we let it happen so much.

Time to take back your power!
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:46 pm

More VFX studio carnage. They still have a worldwide presence but a couple of branches are going to wither. From AWN.com...

Article

Pixomondo Shuts London, Detroit Shops
By Jennifer Wolfe
February 25, 2013

International visual effects studio Pixomondo, the lead VFX company on last year's VFX Oscar winner, Hugo, is closing its London facility and has closed its branch in Detroit, according to a report by Variety.

U.K. tax authorities have filed a “winding-up” petition against Pixomondo for non-payment of taxes, which amounts to a request that the London operation be declared bankrupt involuntarily. Pixomondo founder Thilo Kuther reportedly said his company has already established a payment plan for those taxes.

No word yet on what this will ultimately mean for the Los Angeles-headquartered company, which according to its website still maintains offices in Berlin, Beijing, Frankfurt, Sao Paulo, Stuttgart, Baton Rouge, Shanghai, Munich, Toronto, Burbank, and Hamburg.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Sageous » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:39 am

Artists are very disappointed and upset with the lack of equal respect that Hollywood has been giving them. Yes, a big problem is the outsourcing to overseas vendors and vfx companies fighting battles to win a bid on the next movie by undercutting one another until they go bankrupt. The greed needs to stop and people need to appreciate all artists that work on these films, whether it's in visual effects, animation, writing, editing, cinematography, lighting, set design, makeup, wardrobe, sound editing/mixing, etc., because without them, there would be no movie. You can also be sure that these artists play a big role in making the actors look a lot better than they would otherwise; it's disappointing to see how the cast of "The Avengers" were so quick to brush-off the introduction for Best Visual Effects at the Oscars. The problem is that vfx artists are being hit particularly hard right now and need the support.

You should all check out this Facebook page for VFX Solidarity International. https://www.facebook.com/VfxSolidarityIntl

People, including myself, are supporting VFX artists by changing their profile pictures to green, joining groups such as this one, and posting still-frame pictures or video clips of movies they worked on--before they applied their visual effects artwork. This is all done in protest and in hopes of educating the general public about how the entertainment industry operates today and about the impact an artist has on major films.

Check out these great articles--some written by frustrated VFX artists.

http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/2013/02 ... o-ang-lee/

http://www.fastcocreate.com/1682488/whe ... y-awards#1

http://prolost.com/pi

http://thinkinganimationbook.blogspot.c ... i.html?m=1

I truly hope that artists will continue to stand tall and strong together and that our voices will be heard.
Sageous

Some Explanation & Excellent Perspective...

Postby ChanceRaz » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:03 pm

http://bit.ly/Y4pPul <---- Learn exactly what is going on in the VFX biz and WHY!

Here's a great article blurb and sound bite (go to the site and click Listen - upper right) that explain (and tend to agree with) this perspective on the VFX plight. Definitely worth the 11-minute listen! Accurate and informative!! Let's educate ourselves!!!
:D

When In Doubt,
Chance It!

http://www.UnitedWeBrand.org
http://www.Facebook.com/UnitedWeBrand
http://eepurl.com/ue5xb (Get My Newsletter)
http://www.HesLittleBilly.com (Leading by Example)
ChanceRaz

Postby Charles » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:53 pm

Everything this guy is talking about was addressed by yours truly in The Articles That Started AN back in February and March 1999.

It's frustrating to listen to it all these years later as if it's something new.

I wish these guys luck.

Rather be self employed working on original content and brands that I own backed up by crowdfunding.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:38 pm

Charles wrote:Rather be self employed working on original content and brands that I own backed up by crowdfunding.

You mean like I have for over 30 years?

Charles, AN's archives have you, me, and a dozen others as modern day prophets of several industries. It's an historical archive and I hope you have those archives backed up on multiple computers.
Greg B

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:27 pm

It don't matter how long we've been saying it. It matters if we have positioned ourselves for this day. And we have. So lets go show them how its done. One thing we have as an advantage is we've been prepared and we don't have to emotionally struggle with the new age. A lot of people will fight this transition because they are holding onto what they've grown use to. They will engage in conversations already had while the rest of us realize the future was yesterday!
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:02 am

Once again the dysfunction of this community is brought to light. The fact that it got this bad in the first place should tell you just how severe the lack of vision is much less their appreciation for the efforts made to rally artists to a greater good.

AN and everything it was attempting to do years ago will not be remembered by this generation nor the mainstream status quo which is fully vested in their dysfunction and can't get it through their heads that unity is the only way forward if they want to go forward. A trade association that he talks about is just that and may help but whether or not it happens is anyone's guess. From my past experience I'd say it won't. Just more talk and griping and inaction by the dependent community.

The answer has always been pro-active independence, content creation that artists control, operating as our own executives, educating artists at the school level about the realities of the industry and how they can affect change, taking control of institutions such as the Animation Guild away a handful of entrenched people with no new ideas and using this as a platform for expanding entrepreneurial creative ventures and you get the picture...

The funny thing is that while all the turmoil is the dependent work for hire world plays itself out the independent creative world is growing and prospering. While one side is struggling with old business models, new models are popping up in the form of crowdfunding and independent economies.

For me, the choice is obvious as are the solutions.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:14 pm

I agree. I had Marc Sylvestri, One of the original founders of Image comics, contact me publically on Facebook (for the first time ever) to get mad at me for my comments made in my VFX video. Of course he focused on what I said about image, saying I threw them under the bus..I really don't think he knows what that means, respectfully...but then what I asked about how he felt about the real issue I was talking about. He said it was oversimplifying the problem...says the dude who made millions off owning his own content, creating a franchise and making more money off people working on his titles...and god bless him for all of that. But it really continues to show me the dysfunction and disconnect that this community has.

Every successful studio owns their own content..and now its easier with this niche funding like crowdfunding.

AN has positioned itself and has influenced many to position themselves for the future. Coupled with the educational power and backing of The Animation Academy, which is essential one man, Charles Zembillas, it has really set a precedent for independent economies and what it takes.

If AN keeps focusing on the solution and keeps focusing on promoting independent economies like crowd funding it will continue to evolve like AN always has.

The site's dynamic will be updated to fit this platform it needs to be and we'll be considered an overnight success. hahahahaha, like all over night success, it takes 20 years...so, we're doing pretty good at 14. I think we'll beat 20.HA!

And then the same fuckers who hated us then, we'll hate us now for new reasons.And Charles will give them all big hugs. Laughing...Leaving them to eat their pizza while he takes his people to eat fine, pure sustenance.
SNAKEBITE

Postby SNAKEBITE » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Sorry, Marc didn't get "mad"..he said it was constructive criticism...
SNAKEBITE

Return to General Discussion