animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

AN Video - An Independent You in Animation

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

AN Video - An Independent You in Animation

Postby Charles » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:34 pm

If you're an artist working in the animation industry there's a better way to go than the system we currently experience. Let's start using our heads and position ourselves favorably for the present and the future.

PS - Recorded this in one take... 8-) ;) :D

Daily Z

Charles

Re: AN Video - An Independent You in Animation

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:02 am

Me and my roomates watched this...we all cheered at the end! Keep Creating! Thats bad ass!
SNAKEBITE

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:04 am

these concepts can applied to many different types of lifestyle choices!
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:03 am

Thanks for the audience brother!

Well I took the leap and posted this video on AN's Facebook page. Within 45 minutes the post was seen by 140 people with 6 likes and 4 comments and several additional views on YouTube. The biggest and fastest response I've experienced yet with AN's Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Animation ... 8748898069

:)

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:08 pm

Looks like AN's Facebook community is responding favorably to the video. After 6 hours there's 14 likes on the post, 8 comments, 285 people saw the post and a few more subscribers to my YouTube channel. :shock: :)

AN's Facebook has never gotten a response on an entry as positive as what this video has garnered.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Animation ... 8748898069

Okay then looks like that's the way to go! 8-)

Thanks you thank you thank you. Will do my best to keep it going for the benefit of our community.

It's for a purpose ladies and gents.

An artists' movement is on the way.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:17 pm

Charles if you go wayyyy back into the AN archives you'll see I've posted the exact same scenarios and situations. It's happening again. Veteran artists who never took the time to create their own products and now find themselves with their asses out in the wind.

Over and over again I've mentioned this and now to see you doing a video post about it validates my points even more.

This go round with layoffs we can't blame corporate suits like last time. Artists had the high ground for several years and stats still went down and now people are out of work.

It sucks but this time the reality check is ten times as hard.

I've posted numerous resources on how to start your own companies, get corporate credit, group health insurance and more but it fell on deaf ears. Now those chill winds from Eden are setting fires under asses and showing artists they have to take greater responsibility.

It's so easy to start a corporation nowadays but don't do it in California. MOVE OUT FIRST. Starting a biz in California is like setting your own ass on fire. Paperwork is cheap and you can be up and running in a day or two. With crowdfunding you can get that seed money going.

So I'm glad people are finally seeing the forest for the trees.
Greg B

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:31 pm

Amen, Greg!
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:23 am

Even on the most basic levels you can create a business entity in California. Just go down tour local newspaper and they'll help you file a Fictitious Business Name Statement and you'll be "Doing Business AS".

For example John Doe DBA "John Doe Enterprises". Contact your accountant and they'll help you get a Federal Tax ID number for your business and you'll be able to conduct your affairs without the need for disclosing your Social Security Number. That way you can freelance easier, get other artists to help with larger projects, etc. You gave the option of operating differently. You can build from there with incorporation in the future if you want.

Once your Fictitious Name Statement comes in you can open a bank account in the name of your business. You might need to get a business license first. I'm not certain if the banks require it. You'll have to check first.

It's some extra foot work that you need to do but it's worth it as you now have an option to conducting business transactions with your professional career.

Also, I don't think crowdfunding sites require you to be a business entity in order to use their system. All you have to have is a bank account. Even a personal one will do the trick and you can launch a project!

I remember back in the day when you were saying that Greg. I was too and it got through to some people. They have flexibility now and a few became very successful but many others are far behind in just knowing basic things. They don't know what they need to do on the most basic of levels.

Whether or not that will change is yet to be seen but with the direction that the industry is going with creative enterprises it stands to reason that more and more artists will come to the realization that expanding upon and growing out of the singular mindset of the work for hire mentality is to their advantage.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:22 pm

Yes Charles,

You've outlined the basics in starting a biz in Cali but I emphasized a corporation as it protects you and your assets. Since we're talking artists and intellectual properties you have to cover your ass.

You can start a corporation for under $100. If you need seed money you might try crowdfunding. Lots of people are doing this.

As for me I came back to my hometown to do business and got deathly ill. Been in and out of hospitals since October. Have to start from ground floor up but I have enough equity out there to build up to something lucrative. I have time to convalesce and at least I can go back to pumping iron very soon which always brings me up.

I've found great stuff for businesses I didn't know existed before and was thinking of moving back to Cali either to Burbank or Los Feliz again. This is due to online internet marketing. I have a new publisher who is a whiz. There's no stopping this guy and he has broken records in ebooks, mobile etc. and has given me carte blanche. I'll be using crowdfunding too and getting solidly established. This winter stuff is for the birds. I'm done with winter. I have like zero affinity for that winter wonderland nonsense.

I should have retired 8 years ago. Everyday my personal evaluation says, "Why am I not on a sunny beach with some hotties and lobster?". What delusional paths have I been taking that is everything EXCEPT my favorite foods and chicks and beautiful tropical weather?

That was my wake up call.

With the internet everywhere I should be in the Caribbean or sunny Cali living the Life of Riley or something.

Things gonna change!

You know of any good office space in Burbank or apartments lemme know.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:16 pm

If you're unhappy there come back to town Greg. Check out Craigslist for what's happening with apartments and offices brother. It's getting a little pricey so the sooner you can make the move the better if you're so inclined.

Incorporation is the ideal. And even if you're in California you don't have to be incorporated in Caliofornia.

Know where Disney is incorporated?

Delaware!

You can do it online.

If you're not there yet a simple DBA (Doing Business As) via the filing of a Fictitious Business Name Statement is still the first step even if you're going to be incorporating.

Know the basics and set up a business foundation for your business and you'll be prepared for just about any commercial eventuality plus you'll be better protected!

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 pm

btw, the jazz background music elevates the first video into a new realm.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:38 pm

Miles Davis ... 8-)

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion