animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

'Wildman' - New $1.1 Mil Campaign on Kickstarter

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

'Wildman' - New $1.1 Mil Campaign on Kickstarter

Postby Charles » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:08 pm

An ambitious crowdfunding campaign has launched a couple days ago on Kicstarter. The project is an action oriented role-playing game called "Wildman" from Gas Powered Games in Redmond, Washington.

They're shooting for $1,100,00and so far with 28 days left in the campaign they're at $164,054 through 3,315 backers. Not a bad start at all!

Let's see if they reach the goal as we follow their progress over the next few weeks.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gas ... action-rpg?

Here's Chris Taylor the founder of GPG to describe what the Wildman campaign is about...

Daily Z

Charles

Re: 'Wildman' - New $1.1 Mil Campaign on Kickstarter

Postby Charles » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:08 pm

I'd say following and reporting on Kickstarter campaigns has become one of my favorite hobbies. :D

Especially with results like what's happening with "Wildman"...

4,304 backers pledging $227,041 of $1,100,000 goal so far with 27 days to go.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gas ... action-rpg

That's an additional $62,987 since my initial post on the subject around 40 hours ago. Well ahead of what Wildman needs to average on a daily basis to reach its goal. They're already 20% there with only 13% of the time they need passed. In fact, as this pace they're looking at around $1.7 mil if they can keep it up.

This is such a great day we're in ladies and gents!

Consider this campaign for example. If it's funded, not only is the project moving forward, it means creating jobs for artists, technicians and the Gas Powered Games crew in general.

Funding by the people means there's no resources wasted on courting traditional corporate financiers. No investment bankers, no debt based financing, no outsiders with their hands in the works.

Funding directly through the end user means the production company retains full equity in the intellectual property. No selling of the rights in order to get production funds. And if they bring on equity partners later, they're in a much better position for negotiating a deal that is in the company's best interests.

Crowdfunding is so incredibly positive for our community's business in so many ways I can't find enough words to express how delighted I am as to what this new way of doing things means to our economy and industry!

I'm betting that GPG will meet their goal well ahead of the deadline and we'll be celebrating another victory.

This is the age and era we've been waiting for brothers and sisters! Seize the day and the new opportunities that are emerging for us! 8-)

KEEP CREATING and it will pay off for you! :)

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:14 pm

It's been a week since I first posted the the GPG Wildman campaign on Kickstarter.

Here's where they're at...

6,049 backers pledging $316,506 heading towards a $1,100,000 goal with 22 days to go.

They're close to doubling what they were at when I started the topic.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gas ... action-rpg

Go wild Wildman! :D

A new way of doing business ladies and gents. No need to compromise the equity of your project or company. Just take the crowdfunding route and if you develop your community and network and have a good property to promote your audience and fan base will support you!

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:20 am

Not every adventure in crowdfunding is successful unfortunately. With time winding down Gas Powered Games canceled the Wildman campaign on Kickstarter when they got low on gas.

But...

Not after raising a significant amount of funds that they won't have access to.

9,235 backers pledging $504,120 of a $1,100,000 goal.

Moral of the story... Know your fan base and how much yu can realistically expect from your supporters.

More than 9,000 backers chipping in over half a million dollars! That's still very very impressive!

If the goal would have been half of what they originally targeted, if they went to slightly modest route instead of the overly ambitious one, things would have been different.

Many of the most successful campaigns I've seen so far are those that set goals that were well within reach of what they could realistically reach. When you set a goal that is pushing the envelope as far as what your community can do, you run the risk of falling short.

Unless you turn to Indiegogo and launch a flexible financing campaign. That way you get funded even if you fall short.

Good luck next time Gas Powered Games and congrats on hitting half a mil. That is no small feat!

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion