animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Working with chronic pain

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Working with chronic pain

Postby jeffnevins » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:20 pm

I was hesitant to post this the past few months. Not everyone wants to hear about injuies. But I've made a few aquaintences here, so-

I foolishly hit my head a few months ago- on vacation :( , bled a bit, didn't pass out, came back & worked away at my two jobs.

Two months later, and a few hospital bills later, the pain is worse than ever, yet I still seem to keep working, but live with much less joy. I feel it is the worst thing that has ever happened to me. Even my heart physically feels a bit of strain now.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this sort of thing. Thanks- and take care.
jeffnevins

Re: Working with chronic pain

Postby EAllen » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:34 pm

Ouch! And bummer, Jeff.

Personally, on that scale nothing like that has happened to me so far, but my sister currently battles chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia; I hope to play a greater role in helping her fight these maladies in the near future.

Prayers 'n thoughts are with 'ya, Jeff. Goes to show you--can't keep a good man down.
EAllen

Postby Charles » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:24 am

Jeff, when I read the title of your topic, I thought you'd be talking about carpal tunnel or sciatica or something along those lines. Sorry to learn of what you're dealing with. That must make work and life very difficult for you indeed. Are you on pain medication? Does it help? Do you meditate? Maybe a holistic approach to your pain is a better way to go. Some people have tried acupuncture and they say it helps. I wish you the best with what you're dealing with, I really do. Try to relax and let go of anxiety. It'll calm your heart. I find that meditation and prayer helps when I'm having difficulties. Also exercise if it's possible for you to do it without aggravating the pain. It helps greatly in relieving stress.

And if none of those methods work, watch movies. They'll get your mind off of things.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby jeffnevins » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:38 pm

Thanks very much for the responses. My pain has made me more symapthetic to others in pain. To all those dealing with pain here at AN, I just want to say to hang in there & don't give up.

I've taken some Tylanol, and a lot of Vitamins, especially B. Funny on over-the-counter meds, how it says to stop & consult your doctor after 10 days. Doctor? Insurance? Wha-? Charles, yes I spend a bit of time in prayer/meditation. I should increase the time each day perhaps.

The heart's feeling a bit better. I'm going to try to slow down on the work a bit so the brain can recover a bit as well, but it is hard to do.

I'm hoping life will be close to how it was before the injury soon. Heh- life was easier.
Take care- and thanks.
jeffnevins

Postby EAllen » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:15 am

Something my sister told me the other day--I'd look into getting some Kava!

http://www.vitacost.com/L-A-Naturals-Ka ... 5890157411
EAllen

Return to General Discussion