animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

ROFLMAO! Crowdfunding & Animation

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

ROFLMAO! Crowdfunding & Animation

Postby Greg B » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:33 am

I'm loving seeing the posts on AN regarding the successful fundraising campaigns for animators.

Years ago we discussed this on AN and how one day it would come to pass. I'm also glad to see the country's lawmakers making things easier for crowfunding to take place. We now have the open internet for people to get their work out bypassing the old distribution and good ol' boy networks and now we have creators raising awesome amounts of money that frees them up to own and control their properties and destinies.

It's like push button magic.

I'm also writing an ebook on crowdfunding and have been interviewing people with successful campaigns. All I can say is if you're ready to leap into the crowdfunding arena you've got lots of help out there. What is an even bigger surprise is that there are dozens and dozens of crowdfunding websites popping up around the world targeting specific countries, languages etc.. I've had many ask me about how to get more artists involved. I'll look them over and post here. It may be that you guys can get funding from foreign sources faster than domestic.

Just look at what AN was like 12 years ago and what Charles was fighting for and now look at it. You can't keep a good artist down.
Greg B

Re: ROFLMAO! Crowdfunding & Animation

Postby Charles » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:14 am

I'm gonna use your post as a screen saver Greg! :D

These are among the most exciting times I can remember in animation. The boom of the 1990s might compare since artists were making major bucks back then, but there's never been an era like the one we're entering into now. There's a party going on in my spirit every moment of the day thanks to all that's happening!

Imagine what the crowdfunding scene will be like a few years from now. Projects may well be funded into the 10s of millions of dollars from sources all over the planet. The studio system will be rivaled by projects that are financed directly by the people. No more pitching ideas to a stale execs who sit in judgment and decide what goes and what doesn't. A new dawn is rising and will overshadow everything we considered as the norm.

It's already happening!

Projects I've been sitting on cuz there was no hope of ever getting anywhere with the conventional way of doing things via the gatekeepers can finally come to fruition! Now there's a new way and a new hope and a new excitement for the future!

A vast new world of creative freedom and innovation and economic and artistic success! Crowdfunding will change everything we know about everything we've known!

All of this is giving a new meaning to...

KEEP CREATING !!!

8-) ;) :D

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:03 am

Here's what else is going on thanks to crowdfunding. I see it happening as I write this. There's an increased demand for animation talent to help with some of these projects. Especially in the area of Flash animation. All of a sudden Flash animators are a hot item here in Burbank and some of it stems from Kickstarter campaigns that are successfully funded. It's making an impact along with lots of new start ups and smaller studios that are expanding.

In addition to giving artists a means for pursuing their independent projects, crowdfunding is becoming a driving force in the economy of animation. And it's still early in the trend my friends!

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:55 am

The Revolution will not be televised...

It will be crowdfunded! :D

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:18 pm

I'm seeing the direct affect of the success of crowdfunding in many ways.

This past week at my school The Animation Academy in Burbank we had two special guest speakers from the industry at a session. As the discussion progressed it went from showing art and preparing portfolios and reels for getting a job to a new direction in conversation. I was very aware of it. The class listened while myself and our guest professionals talked about what was happening in crowdfunding and we started to get a feeling that looking for a job really wasn't what's happening now. It's becoming a lot more about getting projects together and groups and teams and going for a production budget through a Kickstarter campaign.

Everyone senses that things are different now. Even artists in studio gigs.

I've been working on a project of mine that's getting very close to launch. I've got so much content amassed from years of development I can have a property online and feed it for months on a daily basis and use the Internet exclusively for its distribution knowing that I can get it to the point of having an audience large enough to crowdfund down the line.

This is making a big difference in that I can begin to line up talent to assist in moving it more aggressively forward. With a goal towards a system that can fund it when we're ready to go that route gives the crew a sense of confidence in the ultimate success of the project.

The project's fate is not in the hands of animation executives!

It's in the hands of the people!

Our fan base will make this work if they like what they see and want more.

Not executives but the audience! 8-)

The beauty and majesty and potential and logic of the New Animation Age that's emerging is absolutely thrilling!

Everything that's going on is making artists and creators more influential and powerful and self determined with each passing day!

This is the Revolution we've been waiting for all this time brothers and sister!

Make the most of it and Keep Creating! :)

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:30 am

This is true Charles. I had fun this past week with friends from the Greek American community. People whose families and mine have been friends for 80 years or more. They asked me about California and what I did out there and I mentioned you and AN. Well the lights came on then as you know why.

Just look at the animation community now as to what it was like when AN started. I found AN by sheer accident as I had three comic books optioned for film at the time that might have been produced 2D. I wanted to know what was going on in the industry and kept hearing horror stories from former friends at that time. AN grew faster and faster with more people contributing. Financing was a big problem. I knew investors but at the time the artists I would send them to had no sense of administrative procedure. Charles was like the only person who knew how to run a business.

I had mentioned way back then that artists should team up and find alternative sources and that the web would one day be the platform for these funds. We used crowdfunding back in the 90s and little by little it got it's legs and with help from lawmakers, which was a big surprise to us, it's now the fastest growing sector of funding.

Just look at AN's forum. In the old days it was rare to see someone getting a project funded. Now it's like every freakin' day. Not only newbies but seasoned execs are getting funded and doing independent work.

I and others worked hard at this. To see something like this happen. Like Charles is saying it can only get better and it will.

Keep your shirts on, good things coming.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:34 am

Thanks for remembering all that's happened on AN over the years Greg and thanks for continuing to be a staunch moral supporter of the cause.

It's a long way from those early days, when nobody knew which way to turn and people were scrambling to find some footing for all the changes that were heading our way in animation. The emergence of crowdfunding has really come into prominence the past few months this year and has affected the game forever in many very positive and significant ways and it's only the beginning.

I plan on playing later in 2013 as I adapt a project I've been developing for a long time to the Internet and subsequently to a crowdfunding campaign if people like what they see.

This is the future ladies and gents! It's here! The age we've been waiting for and anticipating is happily upon us! :)

I was thinking about this recently and the idea came to me that perhaps we may see two classes of animation artists as crowdfunding systems grow and mature. One group will be the employee sector that focuses mainly on working for hire within the studio scene. The other group will be artists who are completely independent and who make a living from their own projects and properties. And for all we know, the later could wind up being the more successful sector in general. Time will tell how this will all form up. It'll be great fun to see where it goes.

Crowdfunding is here to stay friends so keep creating! 8-)

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:42 pm

I'm super excited about this new frontier! I too plan on embracing some crowd funding campaigns in 2013. After all this world is suppose to end next week, so in the new world we don't have to do the same things. Right?

Fist high! and C, super excited to see your projects launched!
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:22 am

Thank you Brother Bite! It's around a month away. Getting as much completed as I can to build up content. This will be an adventure and a learning experience personally. It's a very unusual out of the ordinary tale. Hope folks like what they see. :)

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:08 pm

I bet! I believe it will be well received!!!

I have been moved lately to do my version of little red hen...you know the story? I believe you do. In fact you embody the story.
SNAKEBITE

Return to General Discussion