animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Walt Disney's Grave on his birthday - December 5 2012

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Walt Disney's Grave on his birthday - December 5 2012

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:38 am

As I do every year for the past several years I make a pilgrimage to Walt Disney's grave on the occasion of his birthday.

Here's how it looked yesterday when I paid a visit to his final resting place on December 5, 2012.

This is the gate to the garden area where his grave is located. Click on the picture for a better view.

WaltDisneyGrave2012a.jpg

As I entered I noticed that new sod (grass) had been placed in the garden. Very nice to see that it's being maintained.

WaltDisneyGrave2012b.jpg

Here it is as I found it.

WaltDisneyGrave2012c.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Walt Disney's Grave on his birthday - December 5 2012

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:50 am

These are photos of Walt's resting place as I approached. His ashes are interred here along with his wife and son-in-law. His daughter's ashes were scattered.

WaltDisneyGrave2012d.jpg

WaltDisneyGrave2012e.jpg

WaltDisneyGrave2012f.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:09 am

I made sure to bring some birthday flowers for Walt. Here's a couple of shots of this year's bouquet.

WaltDisneyGrave2012g.jpg

WaltDisneyGrave2012h.jpg

The flowers were provided by Dan Codron of Flowers By Dan in North Hollywood, California. He was the corporate florist for the Disney Company for many years.

WaltDisneyGrave2012i.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:25 am

There's a small statue of a little girl on the grounds of Walt's grave. Sometimes visitors leave little gifts or notes in her lap.

WaltDisneyGrave2012k.jpg

This time there was a button commemorating Walt's birthday. He would have been 111 years old. There was also a white rose that had become withered.

WaltDisneyGrave2012l.jpg

By the entrance to the area there's a little bench where visitors can sit and relax or meditate.

WaltDisneyGrave2012m.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:36 am

Heading back home after paying respects.

WaltDisneyGrave2012n.jpg

WaltDisneyGrave2012o.jpg

Thus ends another birthday visit to Walt's grave. Not many people show up on this day. I don't think many people know where his grave is. Plus I'm sure there are plenty of folks who believe his body is frozen and in storage at one of the theme parks. That's not the case friends. Records show that Walt was cremated almost immediately upon his death in 1966 and his ashes were placed in this wall behind the bronze nameplate.

Thank you Walt Disney! We love you! Rest in Peace.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:47 am

As is my tradition, after visiting Walt I head over to the grave of the great Errol Flynn. Perhaps my favorite actor from Hollywood's golden age. His resting place is close by. I placed a white rose at his name.

ErrolFlynnGrave2012a.jpg

ErrolFlynnGrave2012b.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:16 pm

I've been debating whether or not to upload this on YouTube. Decided to go ahead with it after all.

I shot video of my visit to Walt Disney's grave last week on Wednesday, December 5 2012. Reason for my hesitation being that at one point in the video the emotion of the moment and my affection for the man got me chocked up and I was self conscious about it. I think I should put aside my feelings about my narration performance and let people get a better look at Walt Disney's final resting place on earth on the occasion of his 111th birthday.

So here it is.

Sorry about the blue tint to the video. The camera I used tends to do that when I shoot outside.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion